Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: POLL: Carrier idea thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello. I've already complained about battleships, but now I'm here to suggest something for carriers that makes them (somewhat) more than just battleships with a different name
Here we go

A. Docking modules allow 2 snubcraft to dock by default. This is technically a buff for every ship that can strap on a docking module, but definitely so for carriers.
B. To go with A, 5 docking modules per carrier. Simple
C. Expanded Docking Modules that can only fit a single ship, but can also fit gunboats. Maybe limit to 1 or 2 per ship, or incur a hull reduction in trade for the internal capacity needed to fit a gunboat. 100,000 hull or 5% or whatever seems adequate.
D. Dedicated flak. Turrets that can't be swapped out, and have dedicated, highly efficient/ammo/ammo+cargo dependent flak for defense against smaller vessels. Lower impulse effect and EMP damage, higher refire/hull damage with moderate range. Slower tracking turrets and smaller blast radius to make it a deterrent and not 'everything denial'. (Unless bombers arent buffed, bombers have it hard enough as it is)
E. 1-2 module slots that allow carriers to sell ammo and/or loadouts. Eats up cargo/hull/both. Fighters need to change to torpedoes and bombers need to change their setup? Get the ammo module and the heavy weapons module, or whatever you could call it. (No B/B from any)

Thats all that came to me in the shower today thanks for coming
vote for some, vote for all, or vote for nothing if you hate change even more than me
All cool ideas. I especially like the gunboat docking idea.
or F spawn bombers NPC if no ships docked because with low player base tthese are not that useful ..?
(10-30-2023, 02:53 PM)Deucalion Wrote: [ -> ]or F spawn bombers NPC if no ships docked because with low player base tthese are not that useful ..?

we did drones a while ago and they really werent well received
A and B are good ideas
C: Docking on GBs means:
- you get a fast moving fast turning ship that can engage and disengage with bombers in it - OP. In all the team fights I've seen or been, the GBs were the last to go down and they took the longest. Sometimes PVP dead would expire and their players returned.
- they are designed to be anti snub - add fighters inside and its OP.
- they need to stand still for 11 seconds to dock - if not disengaged, they are dead
D: player choices. Some don't even use flaks, they just dodge. Current flaks use a lot of energy and in the current MissileLancer, you have to be very good with them and at dodging to not get splash damage
E: Sounds nice
I could see carriers losing their heavy turret slots in favor of more light and medium turret slots too, to make them more of a defensive focus ship.
(10-30-2023, 03:13 PM)R.P.Curator Wrote: [ -> ]C: Docking on GBs means:

Not meant for gunboats. Meant for gunboats to dock on the carriers.
Considering the server pop, A & B are literally the most useless options. But the rest sounds rather solid
(10-30-2023, 02:53 PM)Saronsen Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-30-2023, 02:53 PM)Deucalion Wrote: [ -> ]or F spawn bombers NPC if no ships docked because with low player base tthese are not that useful ..?

we did drones a while ago and they really werent well received

when we did that server population was high , at current numbers docking modules are not that useful, even more so where economy was inflated to the point most already have a snub on most bases
this will give an actual use for this module, even more with NPC buff from last patch
Unpopular opinion: All non-FWG battleships are basically carriers because Freelancer battleships always served as FOBs for fighters, so instead of giving carriers 5 docking modules, number of docking modules should be based on their size. Bismarck/Tokugawa will certainly carry more fighters than Elbe. Something like 2 DMs for small battleships like Osiris or Elbe, 3 for medium battleships like Overlord or Dunkirk, 4 DMs for Bismarck, Atlantis, Ranseur, etc.; -2 DMs if the battleship has a FWG.

Instead of special carrier weaponry, all battleships should be able to decide whether they want to be anti-cap or anti-snub, and declare whether they are battleships or carrier by their actual loadout (= mission profile).
Pages: 1 2