Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: friendly antivirus PSA
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
seeing a lot of people with false positives and whats most likely their third party AV eating DLLs and other stuff

you really, really dont need anything besides the default antivirus on windows.
really.

if you use a mac, im sorry i dont know what to tell you, you deserve it for using apple
if you use linux, you already enjoy the torture of figuring it out yourself

but seriously;
windows defender/windows security/whatever its called on 11 will catch everything of actual concern
dont download random .EXEs (or .bats (batch files)) or from websites youve never been on before
use an adblock to keep malicious ads away
install malwarebytes if you think something slipped in through the cracks, then uninstall once done.

this has been a linus meth tip
Actually based advice.

Most anti-viruses, even the 'good' ones, have extremely high false positive rates. My last one started destroying signed Microsoft binaries that were party of Visual Studio because "sus".
This is a good post, keep posting good things Saro
id make a more in depth post about internet security but unless youre creeping around strange forums downloading PDFs that may or may not be loaded with malicious code like i do sometimes you dont need to worry about 99% of scary things.
windows is pretty good at keeping things away, and its usually user error (double clicking that FREE_ROBUX.JPG.EXE) that gets you got.
if its too good to be true, its malware
also on "illegal" game servers (privately hosted MMOs and whatnot) dont use your personal info or usual passwords for the love of god
I followed this advice and now my bank Account is in the negative hundred thousands Sad
(11-27-2023, 11:54 AM)Lucas Wrote: [ -> ]I followed this advice and now my bank Account is in the negative hundred thousands Sad
yeah sorry it was all a scheme for me to eat your wallet
thanks for the monopoly money
(11-27-2023, 11:34 AM)Saronsen Wrote: [ -> ]user error (double clicking that FREE_ROBUX.JPG.EXE) that gets you got.
if its too good to be true, its malware

For me it's always those free Cat ads I see like this one: