Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Capital weapon projectile speed is too low
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Type: Balance
Bug: Projectile speed for Capital ships is too low

Reproduction Steps:
  • Acquire a Cruiser, Battlecruiser or Battleship
  • View the heavy and regular weapon projectile speed
  • The speed of the projectile is too low
    Given the maneuverability of the capital ships in rapport with the projectile speed, a player has between 2.5 seconds and up to 7 seconds time to dodge.
    This creates a huge gap between veteran players - PVP focused - and the rest of the players.
    A new player has to learn the ship, the angles, the weapon arcs, boxing, thrusting, blind fire, intercept fire, etc. In short, invest a huge amount of time into a 20yo game.
    A veteran knows this because he has the time invested already - yeah I know this is going to upset veterans, but balance is for everyone and the current system is setup in favor of veteran skilled players. The game should offer the same opportunities for all players - new and old - while keeping the gap difference as small as possible - which is not the case currently.
    By comparison with GBs and Snubs, where the min difference between range and proj. speed is 1.1- 1.25 max, the same difference is huge for capital ships.
    Off topic: Dev team and Test team are going to reply they spent months testing this. Agreed. Thank you for your efforts.
    All those working on this balance are veterans, so I will say this: the weapons are calibrated for veteran skilled players with PVP focus. New players have a hard time hitting NPCs, not to mention other players - this was attested in the Omi Theta combat where a lot of new players (either to the game or to PVP) complained that they cannot hit anything and just quit fighting. Yes, people will quit if they can't hit a ship the size of a barn. And they have a valid point: If I have a gun, I want to "Han Solo" and shoot first. You can't expect a travel time of up to 7 seconds to be "balanced" and allow a new player a fighting chance.
    If you decide to fix this issue by increasing capital ship maneuverability (which will mean easier travel and less travel time) and increase the projectile speed, so we will see other weapons being used - heavy mortar, storm cannons, etc. - be aware that it will affect the NPC missions - it will be a major increase in difficulty if the NPCs use any weapons that are not primary / secondary.
pretty sure cap weapons are faster than last version and caps are slower than ever
i hate to say it but, literally skill issue
If you can't aim, use missiles, they're decent. Pulses are still decently fast so combo of pulses + missiles is as cookie cutter as you can get.
Do you know what the word "bug" means?

Stop posting bug reports that are balance or general mod development topics.
(12-06-2023, 12:07 PM)Karst Wrote: [ -> ]Do you know what the word "bug" means?

Stop posting bug reports that are balance or general mod development topics.
Yes, I am quite aware what "bug" means.
Yes I am also aware that when it comes to "Balance" you can either open a topic that gets answered who knows when or submit a bug, which if is valid, is indeed a bug. If you consider 7 seconds travel time for a projectile "fine, balanced or whatever", our conversation ends here. Either way, it does. Cheers.
Do you know what polite or professionalism mean? They seem foreign to your posts.
I don't see an issue here. Capship weapons are meant to be slow, so snubs won't get mortar'd left and right. I checked other games - and Disco is not even the biggest offender here. X3: Farnham's Legacy has a capital ship weapon with projectile lifetime of 20(!) seconds and 25 seconds reload time. Yeah, good luck hitting with that, given that capship mobility there is way higher then in Disco thanks to unlimited strafes. It's only somewhat leveraged by autofire and PvE environment, but still, to unlock weapons's full power, you have to fire manually. So yeah, in the end, skill issue. The difference between veterans and newbies in terms of PvP is what made me thinking about organizing pvp tournaments here in Disco, so ppl would have a motivation to learn, but devs has not encouraged that and I scrapped the idea