Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: PVP dead timer - discussion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
While initialy 2 hours PvP dead period was once reconsidered to 1 hour, why not go further? Some ideas after talking with returning folks.

All times below serve illustrative purpose for discussion, not a direct balance proposal (no need nitpick at them).

1. Class-based timer:

Fighters/Bombers - 15 min
GB/Cruisers - 30 min
Bcr/BS - 1 hour
Freighter - 30m
Transport - 45m

2. System based timer.

I think at some places which we can call "active combat zone", respawn timer can be turned off entirely, or be almost unexistant, like 10-15 min, just to get winner in a row. Some system could be a "danger/tensions zone" with respawn time halved. Such things already have some practice history, as you can remember.

3. Something completely different

For example - fighters launched from DM mothership, could have respawn timer as 10-15 mins. Would need tho some amendities in DM plugin as i understand, and addition of something to not allow mothership just sit above plane. But that just an example.
I am not really sure about reducing the pvp timer further, it is in a good spot right now. Also although i get why you are making class distinctions, this would make pvp much more complicated on the broad scale and newer players/casuals especially would have a much harder time adapting to it. I dont believe complicating pvp rules further will be a positive change.
My issue with this idea would be for things like sieges, if fighters and bombers keep coming back over and over again that would be extremely tedious. I do think contested zones were cool and wish they could make a return but I honestly think the game is doing fine right now in systems like Theta without having people coming back more quickly. I do think it would be cool though to have some more respawn events though, the one in Omicron Nu between corsairs/order/outcasts/core/liberty/nomads was very fun.
Before it was 2 hours, it was actually 4 hours.

I think one hour is already very short. It is particularly strange to have shorter times for snubs, since they tend to live the longest in fights, with the caps dying first.
Imagine a snub groupfight between players with good evasion skills and a fifteen minute death timer. It could literally go on indefinitely as every time someone dies, someone else is ready to return.

Definite no on this.
Fights can often last over 30 minutes, up to an hour. The last thing I'd want to see is someone I killed re-engaging me in 15 minutes.

I would not go lower than 1 hour.
The numbers are all no, but the idea ain't bad - particularly for the system one. You could probably get to write a plugin too that prevents using a character while it's PvP dead.
Solid takes were dropped, from what i see only idea can be really discussed is a dedicated combat systems, with lesser respawn time.

For one hour being already very short opinion - when you work and there alot of other games to play, you would like to have gameplay cycles balanced a bit different, to have bigger flexibility at time management.
(12-11-2023, 11:28 AM)Laz Wrote: [ -> ]The numbers are all no, but the idea ain't bad - particularly for the system one. You could probably get to write a plugin too that prevents using a character while it's PvP dead.

Why you gotta do me like this. On a more serious note, how would this prevention system work exactly, detonate a player the moment they're attempting to re-engage within the system they're pvp in? Also we'd need a code solution to deciding when a player actually IS pvp dead, since there's more than 1 criteria for that (combat docking).

(12-11-2023, 12:04 PM)LaWey Wrote: [ -> ]Solid takes were dropped, from what i see only idea can be really discussed is a dedicated combat systems, with lesser respawn time.

For one hour being already very short opinion - when you work and there alot of other games to play, you would like to have gameplay cycles balanced a bit different, to have bigger flexibility at time management.

Then there's also the fact that when you die, you can either: Go to any other system (on the same character even!) and fight other factions than the one(s) you died to. It's not really THAT restrictive. We've had a few of corsair raids that lasted for hours because the plan was to go to Capital A, fight until death, go to capital B, repeat, bo to border worlds C, repeat and by the time the ZOI 'ran out', the pvp death timer in the original location was loooong over.
(12-11-2023, 12:09 PM)Aingar Wrote: [ -> ]Then there's also the fact that when you die, you can either: Go to any other system (on the same character even!) and fight other factions than the one(s) you died to. It's not really THAT restrictive. We've had a few of corsair raids that lasted for hours because the plan was to go to Capital A, fight until death, go to capital B, repeat, bo to border worlds C, repeat and by the time the ZOI 'ran out', the pvp death timer in the original location was loooong over.
Assuming it wouldn't be same players, because rules restrict "players" not the "factions/characters", and assuming your character have ZOI allowing such, or assuming you arent concentrated efforts on some limited amount of characters.
Though this is legit argument.
An hour is already really short in practice and I've seen fights drag on long enough for re-engagement to happen which is atrocious. This is also an RP server. The suspension of disbelief required when that Rogue you shot down just an hour ago comes back to New York is already pretty significant. Let's not make it worse by having them arrive fifteen minutes later after their miracle escape pod saved their ass for the third time in the same fight.

Other people pointed out other issues with variable death timers like new player friendliness (pretty much the number one concern when it comes to rule changes), etc.
Pages: 1 2 3