Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: First Impressions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It's extremely unfortunate that I am inclined to start things off on a relatively negative note, but my first impressions are far from favorable. This isn't the best way to introduce myself, but we'll see what happens. I used the plural as they (my impressions) apply to both the Single player and multi-player versions of the Discovery mod.
It was nice that the multi-player version starts off with several locations already known, but it was actually closer to a plethora of them and so perhaps too many. The same cannot be said for the Single player version as you start off with no locations known (other than the starting one) in spite of the story line claiming otherwise.
I don't recall if I actually played much of the Single player version once I encountered the disparaging discrepancies between the story-line information and known locations. I did play the multi-player game for a short while, but I found it extremely discouraging that every new player that was logging on was RED.
So, I may not hang around very long, but we'll see what happens. I prefer PVE over PvP and ceased playing EVE on-line for that very reason; as many of the other players were only there to Destroy whatever they could.
Hello,

It is unfortunate you met such a bad impression from the game. The single player is not really playable as I recall. It is mostly used to see what ship you can buy and see the systems without being disturbed. (I am not sure if it changed.)

In multiplayer, you have already some location discovered so it gives you a little startup so you can develop yourself. You possess a freighter so you can mine different ore or trade. It will give you well money. When you say 'new player logging on red' do you mean that line in the chat window? If so, it is totally normal.
Greetings,

I just want to say, you start with a Freelancer ID so basically anyone besides nomads and similar is neutral to you.
The red messages you see in the chatbox only tell you who logs in and out (as long as you have latter turned on in the launcher)
You're free to PvE, of course you might encounter pirates trying to take your cargo from time to time.
The singleplayer is not developed to play the campaign, it's more of a sandbox tool to test ships and guns or whatever you wanna test, just as Elvinos said.
Give it another shot maybe, it's just a misunderstanding Smile
You can also do /restart classicli if you want to get a Freelancer ship with nothing mapped and explore everything organically. This restart works for the other houses too, so you can do ku, br, rh and ga in place of li.
I certainly appreciate all your quick responses. Sadly, I am completely further disheartened by the Discovery that the Single player version is broken (and can only hope that it's not a permanent issue).
I now have to decide whether to try and figure out how to undo this installation and put my game back the way it was or stick it out for a while and see if I can derive any enjoyment out of playing with y'all. Sadly, as with EVE, it only takes one person to ruin ALL the fun.
So, why did I even find this mod? Well, I was hoping to learn more about how to modify the game myself. It has a lot of untapped potential. If only I had the knowledge required to fully develop said possibilities.
The Discovery mod drastically changes the balance of the vanilla campaign, it isn't currently practical to make it work for SP.
(04-11-2024, 07:48 PM)Knightforger Wrote: [ -> ]I certainly appreciate all your quick responses. Sadly, I am completely further disheartened by the Discovery that the Single player version is broken (and can only hope that it's not a permanent issue).
I now have to decide whether to try and figure out how to undo this installation and put my game back the way it was or stick it out for a while and see if I can derive any enjoyment out of playing with y'all. Sadly, as with EVE, it only takes one person to ruin ALL the fun.
So, why did I even find this mod? Well, I was hoping to learn more about how to modify the game myself. It has a lot of untapped potential. If only I had the knowledge required to fully develop said possibilities.

Discovery was made mostly to be a multiplayer mod.

But I am curious, why do you feel sad because the single player is not functional?
(04-11-2024, 08:03 PM)Elvinos2003 Wrote: [ -> ]But I am curious, why do you feel sad because the single player is not functional?

I hope I did that right. It looked to me as if the developers of this mod were at least attempting to make the Single player game "better". It also serves as a tutorial of sorts (for those not familiar with the game). Of course, the only way I was capable of getting through the original was by setting my character's Difficulty_Level to 0.1.

There's also the unfortunate fact that I'm a bit of an Agoraphobic (or a "Loner"), so Single player is simply more comfortable for me. I was bullied in school; I'd rather not have to deal with that in a video game.

I (and my wife) played World of Warcraft for a long time, but only because being PvP was optional, and we chose not to be.

Being a loner; making friends is not easy and I don't even have any in real life anymore. I started to make friends when I was playing Prosperous Universe, but that game became more work than fun. I invested heavily in its potential, but I think that was a significant waste of time and money.

Yours seemed a simple question and mine was not a simple answer, but that's the gist of it.
I understand your concerns. I used to be not comfortable in my first days in discovery. But I slowly was able to break the chains of this fear and began to develop myself. My English was also bad and now, I think it is decent, still a bit not optimal, but that’s me. I am also a loner in real life, but I managed to make friends. Even with those I did not expect to be friend with. This game is nice. You just chill when playing solo.

The solo player, as stated, it is only to test things out. You can’t save your progress, but as you saw, the multiplayer mod saves your character. It is quite nice. Here, like anywhere, pvp is optional, but sometimes, you can’t avoid it. The only thing I can suggest is to dock if you don’t feel ready and coming back later. There is no real difficulty against npcs, but when you take a mission, in the bar, it can be as easy than being a nightmare, fighting cruisers while being a small craft unable to destroy them.

If you need help, know you are not alone.
What I did was basically create another user on my computer and install the vanilla Freelancer or whatever mods I wanted to play. Make sure to mark the installation as only for the user you're installing it on, not all the whole PC for all users.
Switch to your user where discovery is installed and you're again good to go.
If someone else knows something better, good, it's just the way I played vanilla while having discovery installed.
Pages: 1 2