Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Discovery Music Files Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright;

I didn't want to announce it and so but since I came to a point where I need some technical help and I couldn't catch Kuraine over Skype for a while due to my sickness, I need to ask this openly.

I am composing musics for Discovery and working on the sound files.

What I need to know is that

a) Is it possible that the initial game engine can support mp3 files or ogg or something similar. The current files are 22.050 wave files with PCM - mpeg3 coding but its sound quality is terrible. If the engine allows or if a small applet with fmod or something can be written, we can greatly increase the sound quality without losing much space.

b) If not, can the engine play wave files with PCM encoding on 22.050 16bit but WITHOUT the mpeg3 coding, simply going for uncompressed coding. This increases the file sizes by 30-60% (no big deal since the highest one will be like 1.5 mb or something, now they are around 500k - 1.2mb) but it also gives better sound quality.

c) Does the game engine give ambient effects over music? I mean ambient reverb etc applied to sound effects only? Or does the music get this thing as well? If yes, I need to re-check all the reverbing of what I am doing.

Thanks in advance!