Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Junker Shadow Fleet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Quote:Yes...Tinkerbell expands the mighty Junker empire!

All kidding aside...I am ready time wise to start the new phase of my "Junker project" and though I'd lay out where I am coming from (for those who are interested). Its the continuation of the .:j:. and appearance of groups such as the 49ers and [Junkers] who make this possible now. I'm also not trying to be big headed and think my "grand idea" is something everyone will be impressed by--this is my hobby and I do it for fun and this step is something I had planned a year back (almost) when I began.

The "Junker Congress" was always intended to be a political body in-game but the out-of-game politics proved to be waaaaaay more political than any RP I had. In reality though, that out-of-game situation really proved the concept of implementing politics in game as a deeply embedded part of a faction's RP. Read most of my long-ago, early replies (and later one's too)--almost revery response I gave could be used as an actual in-game conversation with little alteration. I have always tried to respond or react to everything in RP and like the challenge--even when it was drunken hate mail and in-game slaying rampages based on personal anger;)

So my co-conspirator Oniros (who defected to Eve and I think had some RL issues simultaneously) and I had always planned the politics as primary. I was told early on that I would have to make a more conventional faction and that some of the things I wanted to do just wouldn't fit. Throw in player politics and the primary goal simply was getting a Junker faction started that wasn't forced to play "Stupid, greedy. short-sighted scrap haulers. Thanks to Rudo and Hawk continuing the leadership (totally on their own by the way) that RP for Junkers is fairly embedded in the RP of Disco now and I am thrilled at the changes in attitudes within the mod by the developers and players. This is actually a fun place to hang out now.

So now I want to move back towards the goal of having things in place for real Junker politics--while still allowing every Junker of every stripe complete freedom to rp as they wish. If you look back at my first posts, I wanted nmo weapons restrictions, no tags, no ship rules, etc. for the Congress...those things had to be done anyway in order for the faction to be allowed. Now I want to take the factions already in existence and start creating things that let Junkers begin to function as a small, fledgling, loosely connected "house". They will be weak and puny next to the bonafide houses but they have flexibility and innovation on their side. Rudo recently mentioned the "Jackal" wing--Junker "punishers who would avenge injustices done to Junkers and provide muscle against adversaries that cross the line with the Congress. I had thought of implementing "Judges" to do the same thing in my original concept but faction guidelines really forced a single presentation of play.
It's... empty?
Err... Junker Naval Service? Even though they do not even have capital ships? ... Hmmm... Except for that one Rhienland Battleship. Meh, could be a nice idea.
' Wrote:It's... empty?

Yes--strange things are afoot tonight at the Circle-K. I am not sure. Wasn't letting me edit it either. Hang on. I'm sure its all part of the great anti-Junker conspiracy;)

The Junker Naval Service (JNS)

What I want to do now is develop an independent "navy" (the term is used loosely). It would belong to no faction and aside from resisting hostile attacks or Wild and Nomads it would have no purpose on its own--other than to be used as a diplomatic-political tool. It would not take unilateral action in Junker affairs nor act as "Guido"...collecting small debts or hunting down and assassinating small criminals that trouble individual Junkers. The Junker Naval Service would respond to mandates from all junker factions (including Gallic ones) who "vote" in open congress sessions (not the .:j:. player faction but RP political congress sessions).

So if the Junkers consider all-out aggression versus the Hogosha or Xenos--all Junkers would be called to vote on if, when and where the JNS navy would be assigned and what sort of action would be performed. The fleet would deploy on political orders--rather than just running around "pew-pewing". It will be more of a faction-to-faction strategic response. It also frees Junkers up to exercise some "big stick" diplomacy without one group being targeted for retribution. The JNS might get targeted but the factions behind the politic decisions will be harder to single out and retaliate against. I don't mind at all dealing with the political ramifications towards the JNS--makes it more interesting.

I wanted to see if other Junker groups and even independent Junker players would be interested and I'll lay out the real details to those who are elsewhere. If you have a Junker character, would like to participate or create a JNS char or whatever, let me know here and I'll proceed based on interest.

I intend for straight up "enemies" to be the traditional Junker ones (Hogosha and Xenos). I'm imagining house governments and shippers will be about the same though house militaries and police might be a bit less accepting about Junker "fleets" in their space.

Reputations would be Junker Guard for warships and Junker for merchant and service vessels. IDs would be "Junker Guard" and "Junker", respectively.

I intend for the JSN to be specifically friendly with the Hessians as they will collaborate with them on capitol ship building processes (using primarily the RPC)--elsewise they will use mainly Junker purposed ships (Salvager, Collector, etc.) and utility vessels (repair, lifter, armored transport, etc.). Gunboats would be from Liberty criminal factions willing to RP providing them.

At this point I have just "me" so I don't envision a flood of caps. Just a chance to actually create a balanced strike force (with a good mix of all types of ships). Members of other Junker factions would be welcome to create a "reserve character" and participate only when military operations are ordered by the congress political votes. I am also allowing criminal groups not hostile to Junkers to "purchase" votes--it will really require diplomacy to get the fleet for one's purposes. Every action will require a consensus. Our one battleship is the Tannhauser Gate--already constructed from previous role play.

So feel free to comment here but please specify if you want to be involved.

Thanks,
Tink
Looks nice, I'd be interested in garnering some information on the subject, shoot me a PM if you can. Where exactly would you be operating out of, Puerto Rico? Junkers have insane amounts of bases spread about.
Whoa, All I need to say is whoa. Turning Junkers into a loose house?

That's oddly enough an awesome Idea.

To even support it I'll keep my Junker character around now and join it.
' Wrote:Err... Junker Naval Service? Even though they do not even have capital ships? ... Hmmm... Except for that one Rhienland Battleship. Meh, could be a nice idea.

The JNS would have capital ships...but disassociated directly from other Junker factions. Junkers do not field capital fleets for good reason--its bad for business and unravels their politcs and under-the-counter dealings. It also was part of their modus operandai when spying for Gallia...fly low and stay off the radar. So Junker adapted to having to "be quite" and its become a part of their succesful culture. But "being quite" doesn't stop a hostile fleet bombarding a base or a house that decides to "clean out" Junkers or a Nomad or Wild. Its akin to what the 522nd wanted to do but in this case, there is no conflict with an already existing force and authority.

So on the one public level, the JNS is "just another Junker group"--this is how they publicly would present themselves and should be seen (plausible deniability for other Junkers). Behind the scenes it is different as all other Junkers will secretly be controlling the actions of the JNS. Make more sense now?
' Wrote:To even support it I'll keep my Junker character around now and join it.

That would be a great start and thanks. Also, understand, the Junkers "telling the JNS what to do" do not have to be members of it. ANY Junker player gets a vote as can non-hostile and non-Junker criminal groups (including the monarchy in Gallia) if they wish to "buy" voting power.

This is the sort of organization I can see the Junkers could have. It keeps a balance and doesn't bring heat down on their own operations--just the JNS. JNS members would be idealists--like Tinkerbell. Willing to sacrifice their own freedom and profit to serve all Junkers. Think of them as revolutionary patriots or the "Michigan Militia"--either way, the description is apt. If you look at my avatars and sigs from day one, this is what Tinkerbell has always been presented as--a Junker revolutionary idealist. The JNS itself would be a sort of "shadow fleet". Not welcome to freely operate in most houses so having to "stay out of sight" until called upon. Puerto Rico would be its primary homeport with Inverness possibly being the other. Both these locations fit the bill well.
Seems very interesting. I guess I'll wait and see how it shapes up. Mostly posting because someone mentioned basing out of somewhere. Although Rico's an obvious choice, I think Inverness isn't a bad idea either. The biggest junker base outside of Gallia, in a system all to itself.
' Wrote:Seems very interesting. I guess I'll wait and see how it shapes up. Mostly posting because someone mentioned basing out of somewhere. Although Rico's an obvious choice, I think Inverness isn't a bad idea either. The biggest junker base outside of Gallia, in a system all to itself.

Great minds...hehe. While PR will be no problem as the Congress should own it--the day could come where the [ b].:j:.[/b] would need to be distanced and a secondary base would be required. Inverness is perfect for that at present. I am seeing their primary motto being "Protect and Evade"--it defines their purpose. So for thos wondering, "Will this be a bunch of Junkers running around slaying casue they are bored?". Not if it gets established by me.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9