Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Pointless long range combat and fleeing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
curiosity wins out again it seems and i find myself posting another situation to which the answer escapes me.

Mon'Star, in the Necrosis, was fighting a fighter/bomber. The bomber was staying out of weapons range and shooting SN's at Mon'Star occasionaly hitting him. Mon'Star's shield would regenerate between shots.

the battle is pointless neither side doing any serious damage.

if either party realizes the fight is going nowhere and leaves...likely cruising. is that still considered fleeing?

5.6 If a player engages cruise engine or docks during a PvP fight, this player is considered fleeing. The fleeing player must leave and may not re-enter the system where the fight took place with any of the characters on his/her account(s) while the enemy (player or players involved in the fight) remains in the system, but no more than 4 hours.

No, since he could be stalling for time. Strategy as opposed to tactics.
I think there was something about combat starting after dropping shield below 50% in rules. I think it shouldnt be considered an attack, since he wasnt able to do any real damage.
If he CD's you, combat has commenced.

Unfortunately for larger ships, it is perfectly within the rules and tactically smart for a bomber to sit just outside the capital ships weapons range or to move in and out at their own accord.

Of course, at some point they may go too far (7k for example) and could be said to be fleeing.

I had that before, a bugger got his weapons mined off and would simply shielddoge all the effing time. Finally i had no other chance but to leave, since I was frankly too pissed and could not bother.

Pointless fights, no outcome in sight. What to do?
I could see it from his case being an attempt to maintain you in a combat situation while in the meantime he's hollering for help. Thus, that would actually be a wise tactical thing for him to do.

So yeah, if you left, then you recognized the inherent danger to the combat and fled, which would be the tactically wise thing to do.
' Wrote:If he CD's you, combat has commenced.

is that official? if so please point me to it in the rules.

' Wrote:Unfortunately for larger ships, it is perfectly within the rules and tactically smart for a bomber to sit just outside the capital ships weapons range or to move in and out at their own accord.

seems very one sided to me.

' Wrote:I could see it from his case being an attempt to maintain you in a combat situation while in the meantime he's hollering for help. Thus, that would actually be a wise tactical thing for him to do.

So yeah, if you left, then you recognized the inherent danger to the combat and fled, which would be the tactically wise thing to do.

i see the other sides reasoning and agree with it....but i also think Mon'Star should be able to cruise away and not be considered fleeing
hi what about those 4 missile turrets? couldnt they get to him?
Quote:5.2 If a player is attacked*, he has a right to defend himself regardless of who is attacking. There are no restrictions for self-defense.
*For purposes of these Rules, an attack is draining shields to 50% or lower, or hull damage, or when a Cruise Disruptor is fired. Intentional ramming of any large ship is also considered an attack.

It may seem one-sided, but remember: a capital ship vs a bomber or fighter is one sided in the favour of the big ship. Thrusting to a range where capital ship fire can be dodged allows the fighter / bomber to buy some time.

It would be unfair for any player to be able to cruise away and not count as fleeing. If a person is doing nothing but dodging, then feel free to cruise away and leave them. But make sure you leave the system and that player alone.
' Wrote:hi what about those 4 missile turrets? couldnt they get to him?

no, they don't have long enough range

' Wrote:It may seem one-sided, but remember: a capital ship vs a bomber or fighter is one sided in the favour of the big ship. Thrusting to a range where capital ship fire can be dodged allows the fighter / bomber to buy some time.

It would be unfair for any player to be able to cruise away and not count as fleeing. If a person is doing nothing but dodging, then feel free to cruise away and leave them. But make sure you leave the system and that player alone.

so technically i could fire a CD at them from like 3k away and if they don't come toward me then they are fleeing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4