Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The High Speed Gunnery Pass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was curious about a tactic that I used in the past with fighters where one kills there engine while in cruise mode just before getting to a target and opening fire and if positioned right, they can pass the target, spin around without engine power and fire a bit more before going out of range. Granted, giving an engagement notice to the target, say, 2k or so away before engaging, is rule.

Also, engaging cruise to build up the pass speed, is that considered fleeing or attack? I know this is kinda loose in info but I'm curious about a ruling, if any, on this matter.
Joining a fight from cruise straight into engine kill and shooting is fine.

Using cruise AT ALL in the middle of a fight, even for building speed for an attack, is against the rules.

If you don't know, don't do it. Simple enough. Not to mention uneffective.
its only effective when they have no idea that your gonna just open fire on them in EX cruise.
That's okay - I didn't know you could EK while you were in cruise and keep the speed. That could prove to be another interesting tactic in our little combat against the Order this afternoon.
Only way I see it being particularly useful for a first pass is with large ships, or maybe bombers. Missiles may get a boost from it too, but I imagine that it would be less effective for fighters than simple thruster ek speed, seeing as you have a smaller time frame to hit in.

For the second question, see Virus'.
I believe that back in 4.82, it was illegal for capital ships to do this, as it gave them a speed advantage.
It works fine with big ship on big ship or with bombers on big ship since you hit the first blow, if your aim is good, with all the weapons you have and then fire with additional stuff you got. If you do this with a wing. Lets say, 2-3 bombers and a cruiser etc, it is deadly against a captain who doesn't know about that tactic.
' Wrote:it is deadly against a captain who doesn't know about that tactic.

Or one who thinks that you're still in cruise and doesn't think to CD you:P