Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Name Tags.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Alright.. I've been watching this happen several times. People think that there's actually a Floating object above you and take it In Character. I consider that Metagaming, Because I believe only the Ship's name would be able to recognize, the tags in the name, for an example, you wouldn't have a floating object on your head saying "HEY, I'M AN ORACLE". You would have to tell them that you are one, but people that metagame your faction ruin that.
The person would be able to recognize you for your ID, NOT the tag on your name.
Example.
Outcast - Something|Name

RECOGNIZEABLE BY ID | Not. | Ship's name or character's name. May be recognized by default/Unsure.

Certain people has been really bugging me about things like this.
Should be added as a rule, I believe.
MAYBE WE HAVE NO SHIP[ NAMES AT ALL VISABLE THEN WE COULD JUST FLY AROUND IN CONFUSION NOT EVEN KNOW WHO OUR ALLIES ARE

/SHRUGS

woops caps.
I certainly agree.

But as for a rule for it.. I don't think that's the solution.
' Wrote:MAYBE WE HAVE NO SHIP[ NAMES AT ALL VISABLE THEN WE COULD JUST FLY AROUND IN CONFUSION NOT EVEN KNOW WHO OUR ALLIES ARE

I don't mean removing the name. But talking to someone who does it usually fixes the problem. As for the rule, if the someone doesn't abides by it, I would suggest a warning if reported.
Would it not make sense to broadcast who you are within RP? If you choose to add a tag to your character, it's my opinion that this choice also applies to your character's decision on the matter about making his or her (or even it's) allegiance public. In reality, a tag simply shows who you side with. If you decide to make that public on a character, such as in the case of a factionalized character, then others should be able to recognize you as a member of that particular group.
Tags are also very useful with certain FLhook commands, such as /fi, which allows you to invite everyone with a certain combination of letters in their name to a group without having to meet them, which is very useful when assembling a BAF| force to take on corsairs or something, so I think tags should in fact stay.
The tags -Will- Stay, I'm not saying to remove them.
I'm saying about the fact that People really think that In RP there's a floating thing on your ship saying: "HEY, I'M -something-"
The tags don't have that purpose. They have the purpose of enhancing RP, not destroying it like people are doing.
Here's an example of also what I saw today.
"I knew following that Oracle Subject guy would lead me to a nomad!"
... Seriously.
I've seen Oracles publicly side with Nomads (or Keepers, to be more specific) in invasions of, for example, New York. Their constant preaching of something deeply mysterious can make a character feel uncomfortable in RP, and that same character may not be surprised to find that the Oracles have some type of connection to Nomads. This is not helped by the fact that there have been public announcements in the system-wide channel broadcasting for all those to hear (or rather see) that the Oracles do indeed sympathize with Nomads.

Using knowledge derived from what members of your faction have done and said while in-RP is not necessarily OoRP for someone to do. Tags that identify you as a member of a faction are not inherently OoRP.
' Wrote:I've seen Oracles publicly side with Nomads (or Keepers, to be more specific) in invasions of, for example, New York. Their constant preaching of something deeply mysterious can make a character feel uncomfortable in RP, and that same character may not be surprised to find that the Oracles have some type of connection to Nomads. This is not helped by the fact that there have been public announcements in the system-wide channel broadcasting for all those to hear (or rather see) that the Oracles do indeed sympathize with Nomads.

Using knowledge derived from what members of your faction have done and said while in-RP is not necessarily OoRP for someone to do. Tags that identify you as a member of a faction are not inherently OoRP.

You aren't getting the sense. That's not what I'm talking about. Answer me how would people Recognize an Oracle in a Civvie Shuttle without recognizing his voice? His ship isn't nomad, and all he has is a tag. He might even use a vo-coder.
So what's it left? The tag. People abuse the fact that we use tags for the group for identifying people and saying something like: "OMG NOMAD, DER IS A 1MIL BOUNTY ON U!"
Trust me, I know someone that said exactly that, and I didn't even speak anything.
I'm talking about metagaming. Which would be recognizing the person by his tag, which they -BELIEVE- it's a floaty thing around the person InRP. This has to change.

You want to see what lets people pisses off because of that? Stuff like this.
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/115/screen28.jpg
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/1954/screen29.jpg
I like to think of it as more of "long range scanners"

If they detect you are flying an Outcast ship with Outcast weaponary then people will think you are an outcast.

I agree about the Oracles though
Pages: 1 2 3