Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Know your admins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
This topic is about people being curious about other people. This time it's about those who are new might be interested to get a little whiff of admins. So I've listed them with the scraps of knowledge gleaned from these forums during my 1 and half year tenure here. Some data could be wrong, so correct me. I've probably not have listed them all, so someone familiar with arcane knowledge could fill the gaps. And this info is by no means an effort to encroach their privacy so DON'T post their names or such. A picture would be nice though IF they have posted one themselves in the forums. I know several of them have done so and if I remember correctly in one thread (that I or someone else should dig up)

My personal belief is such that I would not change one admin even if I could, so this thread is not about it. Sure there has been different personalities and ways they handle the position, but that's given because we all are people after all.

I'd like to stress that these are strictly my personal thoughts on them. And the purpose of this thread is not to provide feedback or turn into a bashing fest. Use your common sense here forumites.

Template:
  • Name
    • Country
    • Timezone
    • Notes & Observations

4th of August 2009 updates in this color.

1st of September 2009, Athenian and Dusty Lens added. Caylith moved to "active" section.
2nd of February 2010, Agmen added. Moved Dusty to ex-admins. Added text with this color.

Active Admins:
  • Igiss
    • Russia
    • GMT +3
    • The mod creator and the final go to guy. Seems very mature and level-headed. Kinda like an efficient CEO who keeps the wheel rolling and pointing the way for the rest of the admins. He has not lowered himself to level of some pickering about what he would/should/could do in some of the threads concerning the mod and it's rules. He does not do sanctions.
  • majkp
    • Czech Republic
    • GMT +2
    • The guy who owns and runs the computer and connection where the Discovery RP 24/7 server runs on. He pops up occasionally to comment something. If you want to lure him out you need to start asking questions about the server hw and such. You know technical side of things. He does not do sanctions. Used to be one of the top dogs in the Corsair Brotherhood. Has been surprisingly been quite active in posting in sanctions during the summer.

He does not host the server anymore. Due to DDoS attacks in the fall he had to give it up due to those attacks interfering with his business. I want to thank him for the past years. Without him (and people like him) none of us would be here.

• Fellow Hoodlum
    • UK
    • GMT +0
    • "The hard guy". Been here ages. You could almost believe that he works here. He does not put up with non-sense and gets away with the rather strict disciplinary touch because he's un-yielding, but fair. He must be made of asbestos and teflon, he's fire resistant and no amount of smudge grieved members fling at him will stick to him. And he's polite. I've never seen him to go to personalities or get his temper show. He's like a daddy that has set a certain set of rules and enforces them without exception. And by doing so has garnered the authority and respect. Runs IND faction and what else can I say, IND surely looks like it's daddy in their quasi-legal dealings. I've always pictured him and Mal being old grumpy neighbors sitting on the porch commenting the world. Rumor has it that he used to be able to stand up on his own in a fighter too. In completely irrelevant piece of information is that he likes marmite. How that affects him and his actions as an admin I leave to everyone's own speculation.

I just remembered that during the spring 2008 he just suddenly vanished. And guess what. People were willing to go knock his door to check him up. To my knowledge nobody did, but the genuine concern for his well-being was in the talks. So he knows most of us love him. And then he came back and I don't recall ever seeing the explanation for his absence. Nor we do need one. But what the "incident" produced was that Igiss and the rest of the administration started looking for new talent for admins.
  • Korrd
    • Argentina
    • GMT -3
    • The older software guy. Like Virus, one of the more vocal ones. Has a tendency to get into a row with his "clients" in the sanction section. I don't know why, but that's just the way it has been. Maybe because he deals with the more controversial bans and not just the bread and butter of blatant rule breaking. I don't know about his gaming time though. AW was his pet project.
  • Reverend Del
    • UK
    • GMT 0
    • The hippie. The focal point of anger for sanctioned players. THE most vocal of the admins. Has been and is now the one who mans the battlements for the admin team. As such has come under big pressure. And cracked couple of times. It's just that because he's the most visible of the admins now he gets chewed up most. And in those situations he has let his temper show being aggressive. But if you think Del is being aggressive in his dealings you should have seen BulldogNK. Liberty Rogues are Del's brainchild. And as such more playing less admining would do him good since I remember the high RP standard they set themselves (not saying it has changed, but Del was the guy who simply made Rogues what they are now).

During the last summer / Fall Del did the Hoodlum's. Took some time off and people were starting to wonder he had left for good. He came back and he's been slowly picking up the pieces where he left them. Namely getting into game and admining. He has kept fairly low profile and seem that some of the edges have been worn off.
  • Laowai
    • UK
    • GMT 0
    • The Independent. He's one hard guy to keep track on. I know he used to live in China because he kept complaining about the ping. There was talk that he moved to Australia OR England (Del confirmed the last known location to be UK). He has been quite vocal in some matters concerning the ever-going faction vs indies row. Has nicely kept the balance between his playing and admining. You could say most the newest admins are like that. They play and then they admin too. By his own words:
      "Yes i am the international man of mystery.... I have played on the server from: China, The UK, Malaysia, Australia and Hong Kong - though technically Hong Kong is really China so i shouldnt use it, only its internet was so different it may a well be another country. Meh... Yes i did live in China, but i would jump home occasionally to Australia, and as Del said, i now live in the UK. I do still like to get in game as much as i can, when i can."
  • JihadJoe
    • UK
    • GMT 0
    • The Fun Loving Criminal. Xeener at his heart. You could say the same thing about him as I've written about Laowai and playing. He has a laid back feeling to him. Is present on three fronts: admin, forum and player, like all the other new breed admins.

Surprisingly Joe has been THE most active admin ingame and in forums too. And he's has made huge strides to be the pvp king of Disco. He certainly is the best atm the moment of writing to let steam off via his guns. So if you want to get a piece of admin and bragging rights look for him ingame in his characters (you have to dig that info from somewhere else though;))
  • Dieter Schprokets
    • Ontario, Canada
    • GMT -5
    • The Queen's Man. BAF and Mandalorian mix. He must be the lost twin of JihadJoe. Has a very similar manner in his dealings. Good thing he plays and is active besides his admin duties too. And has a real life too. And no wonder everyone refers to him by only Dieter given the "surname" of his. He obviously has either, A) sense of humor, B) narcissistic tendencies C) is living in delusion, based on on his post in page 3 and other places. If I'm forced to take a blind guess I'd go with A. But C comes awfully close too given his avatar.

Dieter is known for his unding love for MM (Mandalonian Mercs) which he portrays in his numerous videos. He is one of the premier film-makers around, so check the Media Center out for his works. And he's not a skinny Merc either so he can get food to the table via bounties he takes down, so beware.

• Kuraine
    • UK
    • GMT 0
    • ID man. Responsible for the new ID cards. Kusarian if I ever knew one as is evident him leading the GC. Molded from the same clay as the 3 previous gentlemen.

Kuraine has been an almost no-show in the forums for a long time, BUT just yesterday I had a little chat with him and when he gets a new computer to replace the broken one he said he'd be back. We shall see...
  • Cannon
    • NZ
    • GMT +12
    • Watch out for his 'hook. Look at his joined date, Mar 28, 2008. It really does not matter how long you've been here and still have a huge impact on the mod. Has all the access the admins have to the server, but is not involved in the decision making of admins. He was never elected or put forward. One day he just was listed as an server admin. Seems very patient guy and has contributed hugely to the mod. He got "promoted" to the full admin status and has been very active in that department as well as introducing new features for the flhook. We'll see how he handles the pressure.

Cannon is pushing forward as ever. New FL hook things like /pimpship and other niceties. To the Disco crowd Cannon is as lovable as Kermit from the Muppetshow. "Go Cannon, go Cannon!" *completes the gyrating hips and hands routine*
  • Athenian
    • Irish
    • GMT +0
    • A long time moderator. He got the job together with Dusty Lens due to "casualties" taken during the summer of 2009. Namely Xoria, Marburg and Kane decided to step down. Athenian is the man behind the Bounty Hunters and getting rid of the pretty infamous repution they had. All bad and deserved, I can testify. So he knows how to deal with bad material. BUT, I've noticed that sometimes he loses his nerve and can say some pretty scathing remarks if provoked by utter stupidity. It's interesting to see if he can keep his Irish temper in check.

One of the best character roleplayers around. I would dare to say he tops the list. He can do Bretonian, Rheinlandian and others. Always a joy to play with him and read his posts, since they have so much character flavor in them. It's just too bad he has cut down most of his chars to be able to handle the admin duties. And at the time of writing he's not a bad pilot in himself, especially in a bomber, I'd say the ace of the admins crown still goes to Joe.

Ah, what I can say about this gent more than has been said already? Well, we certainly see his Irish temperament sometimes still. He's still leading BHG and has managed to woo Agmen to become an admin too. Together they form the core of the BHG. Ath is like Steve Jobs (on a grumpy mood) with grand visions and Agmen is his Vice-Prez with the cooler head. Terrific duo anyway. :laugh:

• Agmen of Eladesor
    • USA
    • GMT -5 Indiana
    • A moderator up-graded to Admin. Lured in by the promise of power he's now one of them. I still remember when Agmen came to server. His a BHG man through and through. He was a horrible pilot, but still managed to have fun in the midst of the teens and 20 something testosterone filled pew pew aficionados that are BHG. Well, Athenian is a bit older too, but fits the bill:P

He's a real level headed guy around. He's patient and slow to anger. Takes into account other players first and foremost. He's in this game to create fun for others and himself. At least that's the impression I have gotten during his stay here. (psst. you owe me 20 mils Agmen for this). Just kidding. If there is one incorruptible among the higher ups it's him or Hood. He does not have a hidden agenda except to nerf the BHG ships and see the ***** and moaning in BHG chat and to watch Dashiel have a seizure. Sorry for bit of insider humor. I get to see that circus almost everyday:P
  • Caylith
    • USA
    • -
    • One of the old guard and made RM with Virus what it was. She joined the NAVY and said she would be away for her Basic training. She's listed as an admin, but she on leave.
Inactive & Ex Admins:
  • BULLDOGNK
    • UK
    • GMT 0
    • The handle speaks for itself. He was quite aggressive and did let his personal things get in way. Tenacity reminds me of him of the current characters we have here. He was very active and left under controversial circumstances, but he still made big contributions to the community in form of leading the NovaPG for quite some apparently according to Exile.

More light shed to his being by Igiss:
      "BULLDOGNK, real name was Tony (yes, whole name was capitalized). Probably GMT+0 since he lives in England. NovaPG isn't the only thing that he was in charge of. He was the most active admin of his time, around 2007 (along with Fellow Hoodlum), and he actually recommended Hoodlum for his admin position, although later they had diverse opinions on many subjects.

Tony has started as a hoster and admin for a UK Discovery server (I forgot its name by now, unfortunately). Later he became active with the main Discovery community, and was promoted to an admin. His server was used for tests and as our official PvP server, although it wasn't too popular, except for the brief momentums when our main server was down."

• DBoy
    • Canada
    • -
    • The wonderkid. He was full of energy and life. He used to help people around a lot as you can still see from the countless tutorials he wrote. Brought youthful inspiration to the old guard when he was elected. But real life and it's lure proved to be too great for him. He made a clean get-away from Disco. Black Squadron is his handy work mostly.
  • AC_Merc
    • USA
    • -
    • Trader and founder of RepEX. A very nice RPer. Got elected as an admin, then gave the position up because of real life stuff and has vanished altogether since. You could say that he was the first prototype of the new admins that play too.
  • Vero
    • USA
    • -
    • Trader and a grey eminence behind Synth Foods. Got elected as an admin, then gave the position up because of real life stuff, but unlike AC_Merc has kept playing the game.
  • Kane
    • USA
    • GMT ?
    • Another of the Ancients. The reason why Phantoms, that did not feature themselves in vanilla FL, exist. So now you know who to blame. Kane's seen rarely in the forums, but occasionally seems to have burst of energy and post a bunch of sanctions or comment something in some threads. Retired during the summer 2009.
  • Xoria
    • Florida, USA
    • GMT -4
    • The reader of books and thinker. Was very active in ways of forum writing and made the Lane Hackers to be what they are (or used to be). He's been in the shadows for long now. No doubt tweaking his newest child, the trading re-do. Personally I'd like him to get back to game again and start playing and role-playing which used to be his forte. He'd do good to the server. He was in the center of attention in the summer with his experiment of not-logging-out-in-enemy space. Retired during the summer 2009.
  • Marburg
    • Texas, USA
    • GMT -5
    • Gaiaaa! If Dieter and Joe are twins then Marburg is their brother. A reasonable guy as I've seen when I have had some run ins with him concerning me stepping over the line a couple of times. Retired during the summer 2009.

But the excellent news is that he's still playing the game as a member! So stepping down != quitting.
  • Dusty Lens
    • ???
    • GMT +0
    • Likewise Athenian Dusty was a moderator. One of the most active ones too. He got the job together with Athenian due to "casualties" taken during the summer of 2009. Namely Xoria, Marburg and Kane decided to step down. A Xeno warcry "YYYEEEEHAAAW!" and his trademark Ohnoez-men avatar describe his style pretty well. A cowboy. A court jester. Likes to bandy words and have word-play but has a sharper edge in himself too. We'll see if his style will become more sober, but the first sanctions he posted contain the witty text we all have come to expect from Dusteh. One of the admins who really spend a lot of time in flood, which you can see from his profile. We'll see if the extra admin work will cure of the problem of him having time to lol about in Flood.

Dusty is not a bad pilot himself either. He's been around enough to know how to handle himself in a tight spot. I've never really rubbed with himself that much since he made his lair mainly in Liberty, so he has seen the worst of the server.

Dusty threw in the Admin towel. Oh NOEZ! Real life managed to catch up on him and while he stepped down it remains to be seen is this the end of the Disco career as a player as well. We certainly hope it isn't.
  • Virus
    • Chicago, USA
    • GMT -6
    • He's been around long, but applied and was made admin just last summer though. Mr. Kanzler of the Rheinland. He is the RM now. He must be the most vocal (in forum) of the old guard. And he plays the game too! Has been involved in some controversial discussions too and has taken flak for them also. I think he's getting his interest perked up because about a year ago you would not have seen him playing the game, just admining. Last summer and early Autumn RM was dead only in but the name. Good for him and us that he's back in the torture rack we call the server! He certainly has made waves during the summer 2009. First he stepped down from leading the RM in favor of Malexa and then he went berserk and killed everybody in sight after blowing his bolt with the people in the server. That earned him a 30-admin license revocation for power-abuse. But he'll learn and be back better than ever.

And couple of hours ago at the time of writing this Virus decided to step down too. He stated he's going to be playing more now!

Ancient Admins before my time ([color=#FFFFFF]info courtesy by Hoodlum and Igiss):
  • Wolfpack98
    • -
    • -
    • Wolfpack hosted the server for so long before it moved to it's current home, via a couple of awful
      mistakes. Won't dwell on those though.
  • Angel
    • -
    • -
    • Angel for creating The [RM], and for her concept of The 66th Fighter Wing, 101st Ghosts of Razgriz, which started out as just 5 of us in Sabres.
  • Nightfall
    • Serbia
    • GMT +2
    • And to Rico, also know as Nightfall, whose work on both The 101st, and The [IND] with me, is what made
      them possible.

Igiss' addons:
      "He was an admin too around 2006-2007, and left volunteerly in 2007 as far as I remember. Quite active as an admin, although not as much as Hoodlum and BULLDOGNK. Country is Serbia, GMT+2. Although he quit the admin position and the game, he's still making various art for Discovery, including logos, banners and such. The new Reunion splash screens for 4.85 that so many of you have enjoyed were also his creation."
  • Admiral Simon Walker
    • -
    • -
    • Total unknown to me. Apparently temporarily hosted the Disco. You can read and learn something about the guy here
In which order people became admins: If I missed anyone, someone could post his/her name here. I've a hunch that I've missed at least one old one whose name eludes me. If you have anything to add please keep it clean. The purpose of this thread is to give people a glimpse of the admins from MY personal point of view. So this is not a thread where you can vent out your grievances.

EDIT: Thank yeee for jammi for the link to the pics: http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28300

Hoodlum should make more of those and post them. At least Joe has been showing exhibitionist behavior in the "What do you look like thread".
Cay joined the NAVY lol, and she is still an admin, back on shore at the moment too. And Igiss lives in Moscow, so that's his timezone.
Virus is newer than me. And is a Yank.

Cannon is a server Admin that is not akllowed to join us making decisions on anything. The title is more honorary than practical. But he's the server monkey and without him the server wouldn't have all the funky shenaigans you lot take for granted.

Oh and I am no hippy.
Quote:And Igiss lives in Moscow, so that's his timezone.

:mellow:I thought he lived in czech republic where the server is. Guess I was wrong....
Why-do-the-descriptions-remind-me-of-when-I-used-to-read-my-younger-brother's-Pokemon-books,-regarding-the-details-of-the-Pokemon?

XD

P.S-Keyboard-spacebar-is-busted.
Nice work. I believe Cannon is from New Zealand (GMT+12). And I think Laowai is from Australia.
' Wrote:Nice work. I believe Cannon is from New Zealand (GMT+12). And I think Laowai is from Australia.

Cannon is ANZLAG?

("Omgwtfbbqh4x".)
' Wrote:Cannon is ANZLAG?

("Omgwtfbbqh4x".)

Yeah, he mentioned it in a PM about my super lag a few months ago.
...you're all being propogandized and brainwashed.
US: Virus, Kane, Caylith, Xoria, Marburg
Uk: Del, Joe, Hoodlum, Laowai, Kuraine
Russia: Igiss
Czech: Majkp
Argentina: Korrd
NZ: Cannon
Canada: Dieter
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13