Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Greeting, folks.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello there.

I've heard of Discovery before, but was dissuaded from trying it out after hearing about all of the pirate attacks. A few months later, though, here I am again, ready to give it a try. I was a little disheartened to see that the server rules favor the attacker more than the victim, but the new systems and the faction RP look like they'd be fun to explore.

I've been playing for about 5 hrs. game time now, and I've been enjoying myself so far. Go attacked by a pirate, though, and it definitely takes the fun out of trading (and the game in general), so I'm not sure I'll be doing much of that.

Still, I'd like to try RPing with a faction. I play a couple of MUDs fairlyu often, so I'd say I'm an RPer of at least average ability. I'm mostly looking at the GMG, but the Zoners and Junkers have their attractions as well. I love it when a game has an in-depth history, and the GMG's seems very interesting.

I hope I get a bit more accustomed to the game and get, give, and share some good experiences with the other players.

Phen

PS: Is there a faster way to make money in this game? Mining silver or helium with a Rhino is way too slow. It'll take weeks to get a transport at this rate.

Welcome to disco
Mate,I haiku fever, Hm?
It is F T W!
Well, welcome to Discovery. Not all pirates are as bad as the ones that you apparently faced, mine personally will try to take about 40% of your profit, and I know that quite a few others won't touch anyone below level 40, and give very reasonable demands. There are several routes which can be quite profitable on this page,

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=p35...0upJzghf8Lba9CA

It contains routes for all types of factions, although some do involve crossing trade embargos.

Personally, I use a hybrid of two of the routes listed here: Starting at New York: Mining machinery to Pittsburgh, then Boron to Thames, then Mining machinery to Graves, then Gold to Fort Bush, then back to Manhattan and repeat the cycle.
Welcome to Discovery!

Well, you've apparently already read through the rules, so I'll not have to point you over there:)

As for the factions; I can just confirm that it can be a lot of fun to be in one. Also, most factions offer you different roles to play, giving you an alternative to trading - GMG should be quite nice indeed, they have their own ships now, as well as an interesting roleplay situation.
As well, most factions do supply you with starting money, which will solve your credit problem;)

When it comes to pirating, there's always a winning and a losing side, that's right. However, you shouldn't always give in to any pirate - depending on his and your equipment, you can try to take him on with your ship or try escaping to the next station.

Anyways, I'm babbling too much again.
Have fun and enjoy the vast space out there!
how much did the pirates pirate you for? 1 million? 2 million?

i just got pirated for 50 million worth of codes..... damned pirates.
Thanks for the welcome, and the trading advice.

He took my cargo of VIPs, which I spent all of my credits on. Not nearly 1 or 2 million, but enough turn me away from trying to trade for awhile. What fun is trading and exploring if all your money is going to get taken? It's not just a waste of credits, it's a waste of time. I'd fight, but somehow staring down the barrel of a mining laser mounted on a Rhino doesn't seem all that threatening.
Musta been a noob pirate , if you had less then 30 levels, he commited an offence. But, Piracy happends constantly
' Wrote:how much did the pirates pirate you for? 1 million? 2 million?

i just got pirated for 50 million worth of codes..... damned pirates.

Wow. Unreasonable demand sanction much?
Wow, I musta missed this one yesterday.

Welcome!

The rules have been covered so I wont go there.

As for your experience with pirates, it's not so bad if they do some proper RP with you, you trying to weasel your way out, them being all gruff and mean. It also helps having a bunch of money so paying pirates isnt a big hit, but I love trading, so I am kinda biased in that regard.

If you need help or have questions you can always ask on the forums. I also run a help chat, for new and old players alike, where you can not only get help, but also meet long standing members of the community and network. If you are interested their is a link in my sig which will give you the details.

Most of all though, Have Fun!