Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Tryin to set up a new PC. Help needed.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So here's how it goes. Im gonna try and get myself a new PC shortly, and im tryin to assemble a nice one, hot very expensive, but one which can allow me to play a hell lot of games too.
Im starting to make a list of the hardware i need to make this thing, and this being a gaming community, i'd like your suggestions.

Know a good setup for a PC ? Please let me know !

Know a good piece of hardware ? Again, let me know

It can be anything, from complete setups to individual pieces. Just let em come...
Yes, first, what are you trying to accomplish? Where are your priorities? What do you already have? For instance, want a 64bit rig? Aiming for the best GPU that money can buy and skimping on the rest?

Personally, I chose a motherboard that I could extend and a good socket so that I could upgrade my CPU later too. I've got some ideas, but I want to hear your aims first.
My aim is to be able to play any game my heart wishes to.
So its gotta have a sweet gpu, and a good processor too...

As far as the motherboard is concerned, i'd like to have one which allows expansion in the future... thats a big problem i face with the one i have now, nigh impossible to expand
Buy a motherboard with Intel i7 technology and DDR3 RAM. Crossfire and on-board video.

DDR3 RAM with dedicated heatsinks/fans

Intel i7 CPU with decent cooler

2 ATI 4890's in crossfire.

Or a 4870X2 with a physics card

1000 watt Silverstone or Corsair power supply

10,000 RPM Hard drive (15,000 RPM HDD if you can find one) with dedicated cooling.

KillerNIC card is a must for gaming.

3+ case fans sucking and blowing in the correct direction for optimal cooling/performance.

Large case with room for it all.

64bit OS's are a waste of time unless you are using your computer as a rendering station or 99% of your games are optimized for a x64 OS.
now there's some problems i face here...
First off, im not too sure if i can get a KillerNIC card in India, so that's someting i'm gonna have to order, which raises the costs...

Same goes for the heatsinks and fans for the rams... fans i think i can get, heatsinks, maybe not...

Other than that, is there a good overall cooling system available out there ??

Oh, and i dont wanna spend more than a 100 bucks on it...
Cooling is essential. You can't spend mega bucks on everything and next to nothing on cooling. A water cooling system is a good "over-all cooling system" but it will set you back 150+ dollars. If the components you want are going to be big and powerful you will need a cooling system to match. That means big fans.
Which means loud. If you're computer is in your room, or any place where noise is going to be bothersome, go liquid.
got any good water/coolant based cooling systems you know of ?
They're not very popular in India, so my knowledge is kinda limited...
one thing to note, if you go the i7 route is that intel are killing the i7 after September (well the i7 920 & 940) but leaving the ridiculously priced 975.

After September the i5 will be released, which will use a whole new socket and dual channel ddr3 memory.

I would advise waiting till then as that way you wont be buying a motherboard that will only have one replacement processor for it, and dual channel memory is cheaper.

About the performance aspect, you wont see any difference between the i5 with dual channel and the i7 with tri channel in games. The graphics card will make the biggest impact.

also you said you don't want to spend more than 100$ on cooling, then you will have to go for air cooling, a 1/2 decent water loop with blocks that cover the processor and graphics card is about ?200-300
Or pick up an AMD socketed mobo. Intel ain't the only company out there.
Pages: 1 2