Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Mark II Light Fighters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This may be completely off the mark but here it goes

I am a bit of a light fighter addict, one of the reasons that I like disco so much is the availability of house MK II LFs with class nine guns. I have at this point flown every one of those LFs. But the more I fly the more I question their fairness in combat. It seems that they can out maneuver almost all the Heavy Fighters and VHFs in the game. No surprises there, but because of their extreme agility I can kill most HF and VHF pilots and not break a sweat. (Mainly because they cannot out turn me, and all LF hitboxes tend to be small) Given my not-so-great flying skills I am wondering if there is a problem with the way they are balanced. Also, I have only found a handful of pilots that know how to effectively counter an LF attack in a larger fighter. While their tactics work well in some situations, most tactics require the LF is in a position in front of their ship for more than a two seconds. This is a situation most LF pilots try to avoid at all costs. What ends up happening is that the two ships are unable to kill each other. The LF breaks off its attack and the heavier fighter must maintain its field of fire by killing its engines and switching direction. In both situations it is not a very interesting fight. The fights between VHFs are much more cool. I dont know if anything can be done about this, it may just be that LFs must operate this way. If anyone has any ideas about the stuff posted here let me know.
Well this seems to be an opinion piece, so here is mine. I think it is fair in that it fills a notch in the system, the super light fighters can kill the bombers that can kill gunboats and cap ships. People complain about bombers too, the point (to me at least) seems to be that you need to work in teams to acomplish your objective, much like real life. otherwise, everyone would just cruise around discovery in a dreadnaught and everything will get very boring very fast.
The problem is that there are not that many team battles, rarely do events like that happen. But you are right, it would be fun to work as a team.
:)
I agree with Sunergos... these ships fill a nice niche. And they're not that great... they can't mount L10 weps (ie. codeds or Nomad guns), only
L.9 shields, and the armour's only a bit better than a Banshee. Seems fine to me.

o.

EDIT: Except for the Slipstream as Night says, I find that a tad (=way) overpowered with 6 gun mounts.
' Wrote:I agree with Sunergos... these ships fill a nice niche. And they're not that great... they can't mount L10 weps (ie. codeds or Nomad guns), only
L.9 shields, and the armour's only a bit better than a Banshee. Seems fine to me.

o.
not to mention the weps battery can't handle sustained fire with most wepons
' Wrote:This may be completely off the mark but here it goes

I am a bit of a light fighter addict, one of the reasons that I like disco so much is the availability of house MK II LFs with class nine guns. I have at this point flown every one of those LFs. But the more I fly the more I question their fairness in combat. It seems that they can out maneuver almost all the Heavy Fighters and VHFs in the game. No surprises there, but because of their extreme agility I can kill most HF and VHF pilots and not break a sweat. (Mainly because they cannot out turn me, and all LF hitboxes tend to be small) Given my not-so-great flying skills I am wondering if there is a problem with the way they are balanced. Also, I have only found a handful of pilots that know how to effectively counter an LF attack in a larger fighter. While their tactics work well in some situations, most tactics require the LF is in a position in front of their ship for more than a two seconds. This is a situation most LF pilots try to avoid at all costs. What ends up happening is that the two ships are unable to kill each other. The LF breaks off its attack and the heavier fighter must maintain its field of fire by killing its engines and switching direction. In both situations it is not a very interesting fight. The fights between VHFs are much more cool. I dont know if anything can be done about this, it may just be that LFs must operate this way. If anyone has any ideas about the stuff posted here let me know.

Hey, winder, don't worry about it...there are quite a few VHFs/HFs, like the Raider, BDragon, Chimera, and the viper that can pretty much outrun and outgun you...
: finally someone sees it the way I do and posts publicly! Thanks for that! Actually, I think most of the problem are the non-Vanilla ones like the Slipstream, true, one of the ways to counter a LFs maneuverability is the EK and face it's guns charging but there is a problem - the tiny hitbox makes it extremely hard for even those shots that hit to be registered as damage. Past that, there's the problem of the six gun mounts, having two shieldbusters eating your shield and another 4 guns or 2 guns and 2 missiles in your face while at least half of your shots that hit don't count as hull damage... it is quite unbeatable.
' Wrote:Except for the Slipstream as Night says, I find that a tad (=way) overpowered with 6 gun mounts.
Oh I did not need to hear that! Now I want one! Ha! :laugh:
' Wrote:Oh I did not need to hear that! Now I want one! Ha! :laugh:
yeah it is sort of a heavy fighter without the armor and shields. Making up for this with maneuverability seems only fair. Now, if I could mount a mini razor, that would be unbalanced.... but in a good way. Like Me!

(warning, due to a total lack of sleep it is possible and indeed likely that I will deny posting this and instead regale you with a totaly nonsensical story involving hyper-evolved monkeys and the cracking of my forum password)
I don't find LFs unfair in the least (except, like most others, the Slipstream). If a VHF pilot is good enough, he can fight to a standstill, and in some cases, win against an LF.
Pages: 1 2