Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Cruise Missile Proposal
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In today's society, torpedos can damage ships, however, a cruise missile or two can easily take out an average sized ship. My proposal is too make such a weapon that only certain capital ships of average size and possible heavy fighters can carry. These weapons will easily take out a capital ship with just a few direct hits.

However, the catch is, to make them ungodly expensive per warhead, say about 10-20 million each. This in itself will require substantial conservativity of the use of these weapons. Plus these missiles will drop if the ship in question dies, so most people may only carry a couple of them, but I feel this will even out the fighter/cap ship combat.

I know the Nova is expensive and stuff but thats more of a nuclear area of effect and still weak again against capital ship. However, the average cruise missile should be able to take out half the average shielding/hull of a battleship, i.e. 4 cruise missiles will take it out, all the shielding/armour of a cruiser (about 2 cruise missiles to take it out) without nano/sb recharge naturally.

Just an Idea if its dooable:yahoo:

' Wrote:In today's society, torpedos can damage ships, however, a cruise missile or two can easily take out an average sized ship. My proposal is too make such a weapon that only certain capital ships of average size and possible heavy fighters can carry. These weapons will easily take out a capital ship with just a few direct hits.

However, the catch is, to make them ungodly expensive per warhead, say about 10-20 million each. This in itself will require substantial conservativity of the use of these weapons. Plus these missiles will drop if the ship in question dies, so most people may only carry a couple of them, but I feel this will even out the fighter/cap ship combat.

I know the Nova is expensive and stuff but thats more of a nuclear area of effect and still weak again against capital ship. However, the average cruise missile should be able to take out half the average shielding/hull of a battleship, i.e. 4 cruise missiles will take it out, all the shielding/armour of a cruiser (about 2 cruise missiles to take it out) without nano/sb recharge naturally.

Just an Idea if its dooable:yahoo:

I think that it would be a good idea, but it would totally cut down on the number of Capships. There needs to be a trade off to make sure people still want to fly capships, for instance, give them the ability to plow through asteroid fields without bouncing around and getting stuck...

And some torps can do quite a bit of damage to a cap ship...
You just rig your ship with Shield busters, then add 2 torps/novas
cruise missle in modern world is devasting.

cruise missle + freelancer +disco mod + me = uber death that I will cause
' Wrote:I think that it would be a good idea, but it would totally cut down on the number of Capships. There needs to be a trade off to make sure people still want to fly capships, for instance, give them the ability to plow through asteroid fields without bouncing around and getting stuck...

And some torps can do quite a bit of damage to a cap ship...
You just rig your ship with Shield busters, then add 2 torps/novas

Ive seen the controversy between fighters complaining they cant take out a cap ship and cap ships saying why the heck did i spend so much money on this thing. Answer simply would be, if you have a 60 million dollar piece of hardware and it takes 40-80 million dollars worth of missiles takes you out, whos really at a loss on it?
Fighters are not ment to take out Bs's only to provide support and stuff for them (if your on their side)

its like WW2 for example, you wouldnt take a lifeboat against a battleship

its just not possible....
Quote:Just_Josh' date='Jan 5 2007, 09:19 PM' post='52817']
Fighters are not ment to take out Bs's only to provide support and stuff for them (if your on their side)

its like WW2 for example, you wouldnt take a lifeboat against a battleship

its just not possible....

Quite true, but the Russian naval ships in the 20th century were building warships as small as hovercraft mainly with alot of cruise missile capabaility to combat the massive naval might of the United States, which in game turns would even out a smaller faction of snub fighters to a huge armada of battleship groups.

And a bomber such as the B-52 can carry cruise missiles which would be a variant of the Rhienland bomber carrying two slots and shooting out expensive cargo. Again I know this wont happen because people will never be pleased either way. But I just had to express this idea. :cool:
I think it's a bad idea. A weapon like that would be used by every single people in the game. Even if it is hell of expensive. That will kill the balance that took us so long to achieve.

No uber weapons. If you need to take on a bs, team with others, or improve your fighting technique.

Also, don't compare naval ships with space ships. They are completely different animals... The only thing they have in common is that the same speech is used for both...
' Wrote:I think it's a bad idea. A weapon like that would be used by every single people in the game. Even if it is hell of expensive. That will kill the balance that took us so long to achieve.

No uber weapons. If you need to take on a bs, team with others, or improve your fighting technique.

Also, don't compare naval ships with space ships. They are completely different animals... The only thing they have in common is that the same speech is used for both...

No offense, I just mean to clarify myself, however, I am mainly a capital ship flyer, I love using turret controls. Of all the sci books and movies ive seen, small fighters should be able out manuever the huge guns of the bigger ships, for an example everyone knows is the x-wing vs the death star. And this does prove the simularities of the naval ships of this time. But too each his own.

Perhaps, make the turrets on the bigger ships slower too move making the use of medium sized ships to supplement against fighter attacks, and fighter attacks to help the medium ships against the big ships.

But I am naive on this point in the latest version of Discovery of small bombers being able to take out a large craft. But in all, I hope disco will always and continuely achieve the balance everyone wishes in this wonderful mod.

And no worries if you dont like my idea's, no hard feelings. But if I ever have any more, i am glad I can post them here freely to be considered/rejected. :yahoo:
Most of your examples either can't be used as a comparision because naval ships are nothing at all like space ship or it's a different genre/game, etc.

Besides which, this cruise missile of yours would be have a blast radius right?

Which means that all the original capships would die after getting hit once or twice while it'd take four plus hits to kill of an imported capship.

Thats why all the mortars lost their blast radius, everyone was using imported ships cos two hits from a heavy mortar was vaping an osiris, even though it had an AU that increased the armour threefold.

Also single fighters/bombers should not be damaging a BS at all, let alone destroying one. It should take a lone fighter/bomber alot longer then it does now just to damage a cruiser/destroyer.

EDIT: Fragging internet connection...
Uber weps ... Uber ships ... Again. Be happy with what you have here for a while. Thought you newer guys
came to Discovery because it was a really good and 'BALANCED' mod ...
This is the sort of thing we wanna avoid.
The bomber now I suspect, is currently under review ...

Hoodlum