Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Ubuntu 9.04
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Yes yes, in spite of what I said here....

I Just downloaded the latest Ubuntu, and ran the live CD on my Acer 5315. Two things were on my "must work" list: Wireless card and output to TV. Both work straight out of the box. (although TV takes a little bit of setting up).

In fact, even running from Live CD, I would say it still runs faster than Vista, and that's just freakin sad. Ubuntu uses a hellava lot less memory and CPU than M$... quite important with a puny 1G RAM and a single core Celery.

Ok, I'm sold. So I can't run FL, but then the crappy integrated Intel chipset couldn't handle FL anyway.

Oh, did I mention Vista takes between 8 and 11 gigs of disk (depending on the day)? Ubuntu is probably 1/4 that.

Best feature: when running from battery it gives me a realtime graph of watt usage.:cool:

Thoughts?
o.
Hehe ... my laptop is currently configured for dual boot ... XP and Kubuntu.

XP takes about 5 minutes to boot up and get configured before I can do anything productive.

Kubuntu has me up and running in about 1 minute or less.

And yeah ... wireless connection takes seconds. Not to mention the fewer instances of the hourglass while the process thinks about what it wants to do next.