Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The "H.L. Hunley Infiltrator"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Moved from the other post reply, here's the "Flechette" I made for fun some time back. The "special ship" Gallic Junkers navigated the minefields with to infiltrate Sirius. My imagining anyway.

[Image: Flechette.png]

The arms on the cargo pod are actually self-contained. Meaning they are like a spider and can detach but they are designed to grasp the cargo pod and ship together.
*cries because he thought you were serious*
Too shiny for a Junker ship.
' Wrote:*cries because he thought you were serious*

I actually do have the model. It's made.

And it's a monocolor tube with bumper wings--how's that shiny!?
' Wrote:I actually do have the model. It's made.
*Stops crying, looks at Tinkerbell with big puppy dog eyes and pouty lips*

Weallly???
' Wrote:*Stops crying, looks at Tinkerbell with big puppy dog eyes and pouty lips*

Weallly???

Yes weally.
I must say, I would be trembling from fear if I had to sit on top of that thing, outside it, with nothing but a space-suit to protect me from all the mines floating past me.

I like the concept, and the model, but it doesn't look particularly well-suited for navigating mine fields. Isn't it a bit too big?
' Wrote:I must say, I would be trembling from fear if I had to sit on top of that thing, outside it, with nothing but a space-suit to protect me from all the mines floating past me.

I like the concept, and the model, but it doesn't look particularly well-suited for navigating mine fields. Isn't it a bit too big?

It's actually smaller than the Patriot--and it has a trick. The trellis underneath carries cargo pods that can carry any sort of gear or up to six men. It can be separated and remote controlled by the flechette pilot. So if the height of the gap is particularly small, the Felchette pilot can detach and guide the cargo through first and then follow after it--reattaching the cargo afterwards.

A tiny ship could have been made but you have to consider: These ships were made to infiltrate Sirius. They couldn't just be little pods to slip through mines and then sit there. They had to carry some cargo, fuel, cruise engines and the like as well as surveillance gear and communications and then be able to move through a system unsupported for some time. The ship presented is sized enough to do that but smaller than any other FL ship in production elsewhere in Sirius

I actually did make it scary looking to ride to impress how few Gallics would have been willing and what sort of people the Junkers are. In this original design, having three sets of unobstructed eyes would be essential to squeeze through really close areas. Now you see why the Council didn't find a way through too. I now have a revised model not so intimidating and a little more practical for the purpose which I'll post as soon as I have time to pretty it. The idea was mainly inspired by the X-boats of the British in WWII and the Japanese kaitens--human guided torpedoes.
Pictures from more angles please?
I agrees with person above.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5