Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Disconnected Checking In
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all. I'm Dis and you just made me a Disco addict.

[Insert Disco Addicts Anonymous greeting]

Anyway, I was innocently packing some old CDs in a box to stash in the attic, when I stumbled upon FL and remembered hearing the Qt3 crowd saying something about this mod. So I decided to check it out. And, eh..

9 hours later or so, I'm absolutely hooked. I should have had dinner, a good night's sleep, breakfast and lunch. Instead I've been flying & dying. Especially that last bit. Man, being a trader is hard. I don't even want to think how hard it would have been without the help of all you brilliant people (especially you, Eyvind).

The RP is fantastic. I suck at it, but hey, I'm still getting lost in the interface. I'll improve, promise. To that end though, I'd appreciate some more help.

First let me try to explain the kind of character I envisioned playing:

William Hansen, 34 years old. Until recently an unemployed ne'er-do-well from Liberty, who scraped by selling drugs. That is, until he won a Starflier in a game of cards. Despite a near total ignorance of spaceflight, trade, politics, and, well everything, Will sees this as his one big chance for wealth and.. uhm.. more wealth, and trusts sheer bloody minded ambition to make up for his deficiencies - which is pretty much has, so far.

He's friendly, fairly trustworthy, a bit too loud and impulsive, not excessively bright, has a major problem with authority and a near total disregard for the law. He's also cowardly, and despite his dislike of law and order, gets upset when other people don't follow the rules (in so far as their actions have obvious negative consequences for him, personally).

Basically, Will is the perpetually shabby guy your wife hates, because he's too loud and somehow always seems to get you into more trouble than he gets himself. The guy you're friends with almost in spite of him. I'm sure you all know the type: the oddly likeable creep.

Career-wise, I would (have) like(d) him to be a full time trader and part time smuggler, preferably doing runs for factions with a grudge against Liberty.
Resenting everything Liberty while somehow feeling like Liberty is the rightful centre of the universe ("if only some real men would step up to run the show"), is exactly the sort of thing Will would feel as a formerly unemployed loser. It's also exactly the sort of thing that could make him convenient for anti-Liberty factions.
For similar reasons, he secretly dreams of becoming one of those legendary drug runners the small fries dirt side tell tall tales about when they want to impress each other.

For reasons Will won't ever explain, his ship will always be called "Disconnected".
Unfortunately, I started doing mission runs for the Liberty coppers, so Will's reputation is screwed. I'll throw some money at the problem, but I'd appreciate some advice before I do that.

Is there a Who's Who of FL Disco factions in a concise, intelligible format? I sort of vaguely remember the 'nilla factions from when I played the single player campaign years ago. But I'm just a little bit lost in Disco. OK, I'm utterly lost.

Who would Will want to make nice with? Who would he be enemies with? He should (and will) strive to be neutral with Liberty authority factions like the navy and coppers, but what about everyone else?

It's pretty critical I get the faction bit figured out, I think. Both so you guys can look forward to some slightly higher quality RP from me, and so I don't start breaking the ID rules when I hit level 40 very shortly, and haven't the faintest idea who to throw in with (or even how).

And if it's not immediately obvious, the reason I've gone into so much detail about my character, is to hopefully inspire you to give me answers to the questions I don't know I should be asking, or don't know how to ask. I'm sure there's a bunch of those.

Also, if anyone wants to ..eh.. adopt? me into their faction, I'm open to suggestions.
Well, welcome to Disco. Looking at what you've written so far, you're a better RPer than I was when I started.
Firstly, to lower your rep with the LPI, you can use the /droprep command, if the LPI rep is the "flashing" rep at the bottom of the reputation list, which will lower it by three squares, but costs 750,000 credits, I think. For a cheaper method, go to a bar which gives LPI missions, and take them, but abort them while in the bar. This will gradually lower your reputation with them.

If you're looking for factions, there's a guide for them here:
http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11533
which should give you some idea on who you might like to go for.

If he's a combination of a trader and a smuggler, gettting a junker or a smuggler ID allows you to remain semi-lawful (the smuggler ID, in RP, should be treated as a trader ID unless you are actually smuggling, although some people don't realise that). You don't actually need to join an official faction to be allowed to use the generalised ID, (there are some exceptions to this, although those IDs specifically say on their information that only members of that faction can use them)

You'll probably want to become friendly with the junkers, but try to stay neutral to the polices and militaries. The xenos, if you have a grudge against Liberty, are likely to become your enemies, and they dislike junkers anyway.

Good luck out there
Thanks a lot Sircian. Two questions: how do I get in good standing with the Junkers, and where do I locate a Smuggler ID?
As far as i know, you can find smuggler ID's on every Junker base, as well as on some others, Corsairs and Outcast.

With Junkers you can get in good standing with killing Hogoshas in Kusari, for example.

And now:

Welcome to our nice little community, make sure you're not disconnecting:) while in a fight, read and understand the holly book.

If you need help, tazarus is running a help channel in Skype, ask him to get in.

Quote:Also, if anyone wants to ..eh.. adopt? me into their faction, I'm open to suggestions.
Want to join GC?
Welcome to Disco!

As far as the RP you are wanting to play, we'd love to have you in the Black Dragon Society if you want to change your char over to Kusari. We do almost exactly what you're talking about. Here is our faction description:

http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?sh...25332&st=40
(post 43 on that page)

Otherwise if you want to stay in Liberty I would recommend the Junkers. Although this puts you as a direct enemy of the Black Dragons so if you go that route don't let me find you anywhere near Kusari, or else! :P

Have fun and once again, welcome.
Yeah sounds like Junkers or straight Freelancer would suit you well. Junkers get a few benefits but also a couple of disadvantages over freelancers. It focuses you a little bit more, basically.

Quickest way to get in well with the junkers is to take anti-xeno missions from Rochester base in new york. If junkers wont let you land or do missions for them, kill xenos for a while until they will. Xenos will hate you something fierce, and you'll have all manner of enemies in Kusari, but apart from that you get on with most as a junker.
There are all kinds of junkers but there's definitely more than a few with similarities to the way you outlined your guy, my own included.
RP-wise, I'm not entirely new to the concept, I'm just rather lost in the landscape of FL Disco (in every sense of the word). Less so now than earlier (whew.. you guys should just publish a bric.. book), but still.

Excerpt from the captain's log:

"... so I decided to gate crash an auction, to get some information on the Junkers. Not quite sure what the Junkers are yet - the space version of a back street crew? Sounds something like that, from what the LPI's saying. Then again, the LPI are almost reliably stupid.
Anyway, the haughty auction bastards ignored me, of course. But my general hail was intercepted by a somewhat shady individual, who promised to both get me in touch with the Junkers. Man, I hope it's not a trap..."

"... thought it was an ambush, but [stricken] turned out to be better than his word. He not only got Disconnected out of there in once piece, he negotiated a truce of sorts. Don't exactly know how well I like my newer, ruthless'er self, but I don't figure I will have much time to think about it with all these credits. Thing is, I sort of just promised to kill as many [stricken] as I've caught 'criminals' for the LPI..."
The end, so far, to the story is that I've gotten on the slightly unreasonable, rather than outright hostile side of the Junkers, and have obtained a Smuggler ID.

So what's next?

Factions. To murderously paraphrase Bilbo Baggins, I like half of them far more than I should, and the other half likes me far less than they ought.

Trading. Lots and lots of it. Because fixing my place in the political landscape will be expensive. And sort of metagamey, but I really don't want to start a new character just because I didn't know how to make money right off. I'll endeavour to take as much meta out of the effort as possible.

Excerpt from the captain's log:

".. carried off for questioning by some Navy types after, allegedly, making a nuisance of myself in a bar on Manhattan. 3 hours of explaining how it's not subversive political terrorism to call a spade a God [stricken].."
Will has been making a nuisance of himself in watering holes across Liberty space, endlessly moaning about the LPI and LN while drinking up what must now be in the hundreds of thousands of credits. He probably won't go so far as to get involved in direct terrorist actions (being both a coward and fairly authoritarian), but he obviously feels he needs to get even over something and makes no secret of the fact. Yeah, that's an invitation to contact Will if you have an idiot stunt, but lack the idiot.

He also has his very own retarded boyhood dream of becoming - no, not an astronaut or fireman - a legendary drug runner. If there's one thing he desires even more than endless amounts of credits, it's that 20 years from now, a new generation of little retarded boys will tell tall tales about the exploits of Will the Drug Runner. Yes, if I ever get tired of Will you can be sure his cause of death will have something to do with that.

I'm thrilled you guys have invited me to join the Hogosha and the Golden Chrysanthemums. Sadly, I have to decline. I'm in too deep in Liberty already.

As for finding a faction for Will, I think it's going to have to sit on the back burner a bit. That Smuggler's license seems like the best fit for now. The problem is how to actually play a smuggler. Are there any around who might impart some smuggler wisdom to a n00b? Yes that's a bit vague. But I'm not entirely sure what I'm asking, so it's hard not to be.
RP looks good.

Most player factions you have to apply for, if you play with them in game you may get adopted but dont count on it.

If you want more info on Factions they player faction history and organization are all located in the faction status here.

The Wiki is also a great place to look for NPC faction info here.

Normally I say something about the help channel here but you are already there so no need.
Well, I gotta say. Very nice introduction!

As you might have noticed, the folks here don't bite too hard. 'Least not with the ones that have their heads on straight. As has been stated above, Junkers are a good call. There's a base of theirs up north of Manhattan, name of Rochester. They're a fairly friendly bunch, but if you get on their bad side, those CSVs pack a punch.

From there, you're going to want to be 'in' with the Rogues, Lane Hackers, and Outcasts. Mollys too, I guess. Avoid Xenos like the plague. If you ever hear more than one YEEEHHAAAAWWW!, it's time to find a new system.

Good luck, and I'll see you in the black.
Oh, you're going to do very well here. Consider the 101st Outcast Guard.

Also, if your character wants to be a notorious drug runner, then I'd either have him snuggle up to (A) the Junkers, as they're the ones who do all the short-line drug hauling in Liberty, or (B) the Outcasts, because everybody wants Cardamine.:laugh:
Pages: 1 2