Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Fuel for thought...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Mal, you aren't nearly THAT old a player here.. You've got about 6-7 months on you. Its also not as bad as you describe it.

Koolmo made a very interesting suggestion. Bombers right now are very powerful, but we don't want to nerf them into uselessness. If the Novas required ammo, or MOX (which would now need to be sold on all station if this was put in effect) they wouldn't be so powerful, but certaintly not useless. They can do a good deal in damage, but like a fighter with missiles (also is very good in dogfighting, hence why they take ammo) you would have to watch your ammo and not use it to quickly. Might even tempt some people who are having fleet engagements to use a ship for ammo storage. The Luxury Liner is quite capable in defending itself in combat, even without cruiser shield and weaponry, yet can't match most capships. This makes it an excellent support ship for bots/batts and/or ammo for certain weaponry. Such as mortar ammo for caps and nova ammo for bombers/fighters. (If both were configured to use ammo.)

This ammo would need to be expensive for Nova and Mortar. Thats why it shouldn't be MOX for those. BTW, this is not making them into torpedoes. the 'Ammo' is actually carried in your cargo bays. Excelcia mod does similar things with their guns and turrets.
Thats a good idea, it would also encourage cooperation within factions for battles, rather than everone jumping in their best ship and duking it out. I think the stuff should be sold on all bases though, so its not devastating when you run out. Or maybe all planets. Should be common anyways. And I don't think it needs to be THAT expensive, those damn things cost enough as is. Just enough to require a pit of pocket change be used evey time you fire off a slavo.
Interesting...would certainly make me think twice about firing those mortars. Should include Flaks in there too...those things just maul everything in sight...for free.

, I think Mal was referring to a different kind of old...
Lol, but at that point we start getting into missle turrets and such. I think it should only be "nova" stlye weapons that require bales of antimatter hay. Or whatever.
No problem, just don't loose needles in it:lol:
I had a simaler idea a few months back
This one
' Wrote:Should include Flaks in there too...those things just maul everything in sight...for free.

They only maul NPCs. They are basically worthless against player controlled ships smaller than a BS. Though I'm surprised to find no one using them on player battleships. They are actually quite good for that..
*raises hand*

I use 'em...and you're right. They're pretty much worthless against player ships... I just love to see all the NPC go poof! Great for cleaning out traffic jams.
Worked really well when I tested my stock RH cruiser above New Berlin.:PI shot for a minute. Waited until someone flew into the expanding cloud of gobules. It turned everything red. Then I got mobbed, and in the process they flew into couple hundred flak balls. Unfortunately, killed off the cargo too.
' Wrote:As far as I know (I'm a system modder so thats quite alot more than average person's knowledge of such things.) radiation effects you 100%. All your equipment. Hull, thruster, guns, etc. If little enough damage is done, some items might not be damaged, but that is determined by hull and cost of certain equipment.

I like Jack's idea. Using cruise consumes fuel, so if you run out, your stuck with thruster and impulse engines. This will greatly reduce the time you get somewhere. However, the cargo holds of all ships would have to be upgraded rather largely, and would make trade routes requiring cruise to become less profitable (but thats not that big a deal. Cam-Theta route makes enough..)

We would need to make the consumption considerably small amount as we can't have people flying around with 400 units of H-fuel for 1 hour of cruising.

We would need to add H-fuel to all bases in the game, but that wouldn't take as long as modding this..

As for MOX consumption, I'd say no. We shouldn't have weapons consume MOX. The energy needs are already large enough. Though some type of things could work. For instance, make Mortars for capships require half the energy they do right now, and make them require ammo. They are better than Razors, but if you run out of ammo, your firepower is significantly lowered.

Thanks for the heads up on system radiation damage Dab !!!

I'm suprised there are so many posts already on the subject; as I only suggested the fuel idea a few hours ago. Seems in danger of derailment into a "weapon-ammo-mox-consumption " debate or the like so I'll try and get one more in edge wise here;

Can a ship itself be modified to say have an effect ( something to the effect of "if h-fuel = 0 than cruise disrupt " ) or the like? an actual effect pinned into a ship file keyed to cargo hold. Possible? or a blind alley? I can't think of any other way to make something carried in cargo affect the ship performance.

As far as having to greatly increase cargo capacity?
I don't think that will be necessary.

Part of space travel will most likely continue to be as it is now, a balance of cargo vs fuel carried.

A test of such things (adding a decay rate to H fuel and putting ten of them in my hold; then flying around to see how much flying time that actually buys you... trapsing about on just ten fuel cells seemed to indicate = Plenty of time. Even for jump hole search and exploration.

The decay rate set at a simple ' one ' and the HP raised for h fuel gives even the starflier; with only ten of it's thirty or so cargo devoted to fuel; the ability to fly from colorado to magellan without a hassle....If I havn't stopped for fuel by then....

Also to be frank; i'm not concerned with this altering any otherwise well-known lucrative trade route that everyone and their brother uses to buy their third cap ship....

A buddy already mentioned somethign to that effect earlier when I told him what I was working on.
" I'd never play it..No one else would either.. "

As I told him, after blinking a few times...
" I don't really care whether you would or not...that aside, do you think it can be done?"

PLEASE REMEMBER FOLKS
This is a post about whether or not this is possible; I have nothing to do with the discovery mod's creation or direction, and don't expect to see any of the things I mention here implemented in anything other than a game that runs on my desktop.

I'm just fiddling around here and my direction is realism. You guys know this code like it was a mother tongue; so I have come to you for advice on making this happen, I'm not trying to change your verse.

~ Jack
Pages: 1 2 3 4