Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Mining Ship Cargo Bay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Read here before you vote!

Firstly, I'll give you my opinions.
I personally think that the Cargo hold should be increased to around 3500, making it a fairly good hold.
Here are my reasons why.
The Mining ship has such a good yeild bonus, but what is the use of a great yeild bonus if you can't get enough to get a respectively good enough hold? Increasing the hold will give greater RP opportunities for pirates, allowing them to raid Miners (Although I hate pirating, but in RP, its always great) and plunder them, since they have a respectively good hold. Example of this: Mollys plundering the Gold Miners in Dublin, and Corsairs harrassing the Iridium Miners in Omicron Delta. Since we don't want it to be like the Border Worlds transport, as the Mining ship has a greater yeild in mining, it should be increased in sale price. But not straying too far from the point, if the cargo is enlargened, then the miner has benefits to mine a good yeild, and make a bit of money along the way, as everyone knows that mining isn't generally popular amongst many people. Though, I can easily disagree, as it is a great way of making business partners and profit with your fellow business people. 2750 just doesn't cut it, as who would mine and go a long way just to get a small profit for the amount of time you mined for?

Making RP situations with miners will bring a new age to pillaging and pirating, and would be a new experience for those pirates in lone systems where the systems contains valuable resources. Since there aren't many miners around, it may be a good idea to increase its hold size. The Miner ID even allows 3800, so why not make the mining ship around 3500-3800? As it is the 'Proper' mining ship for the job. And of course, all the other IDs would be able to take it easily. Again, the point I'm making over is that it increases the RP benefits in other systems, and wouldn't hurt to mix mining and trading together. It gives those who pillage around miners a chance, and those who pillage along trade routes chance, generating excellent RP.

Now for the prices. The less popular part.
Of course, if the price does increase, the price or some aspects of the ship will be affected, a.k.a, armour or such. But the main thing that will increase is the price. As it will have a larger cargo hold, it would not be reasonable to maintain it's easy to get price. Therefore, we must be reasonable for maintaining the Mining Ship. My offer would be around 30-40 Million, which sounds like a nice, reasonable offer for a mining ship. Others may disagree, especially the new people, but older members may know well that it would only be reasonable to raise the price up a notch.

Again, this raises the point of improving RP around the aspects of mining. Yeah, higher yield is good; but if you haven't got any cargo space to fit it into, it lacks in opportunities.
First poll I've made, so I'll see how it goes along.

-Rhys.

PS: For more information about resource bonuses and yields, visit this site.
http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?sh...7&hl=Mining
With the cargo range you have in mind, that'll make it more trader friendly since it has a larger hold than the normal train, and I think if I remember right, the armor rating for the mining ship is higher than a standard transport or train in that cargo range.

Correct me if I'm wrong there.

I can see where you are coming from, mining is boring and pirates focus on traders in the lanes. I wouldn't mind seeing more pillaging and looting in the mining areas since its where pirates can attack more freely since its away from the primary transport routes, and getting help will take much longer.

I will reserve my support for this since I can't remember all the details regarding the armor to cargo ratio, I'll need to get home and look it up.
Hense, as I said, something needs to be changed. And that may well be the price, and the armour most probably.

Edit:
Also, the Armour of the Mining Ship is currently 145k.
Though, Miners would 'respectively' have more dangers to confront with if they are Mining rather than trading.
If that is the case then, if the armour really is better than the average transport, then raising the price is needed.
Otherwise, although not as good idea, lowering the armour might be an option, but would defeat the purpose as
miners usually face more dangers than traders 'In RP'.
I'll just give the overview about the details of the Mining ship, all 100% detail.

Mining Ship
Gun/Turret Mounts ~ 0/10
Impulse Speed ~ 80
Batts/Bots ~ 600/600
Cargo Space ~ 2750
Armour ~ 145000
Equipment Mounts: CM, CD

Mining Ship Extra Bonus:
80% Yield Bonus for Mining

It doesn't really make sense to have a great yield bonus, but you can't even fill up your hold after a fine day's work of mining. Thats why I think 3500 would make sense, within the Miner ID (3800 Transport or less limit) and for all the other miners. And if it was increased to around 3500-3800, it would cost more than the average transport due to the fact is has higher armour for surviving in harsh mining conditions, but mainly because it has the 80% yield bonus feature. This is why it wouldn't be as good to get the mining ship, other than your purpose would be to mine.

Remember, the Mining Ship should be the best mining vessel
, not the one that has hardly any cargo and a fine yield bonus. The Mining ship is supposably suppose to be what Miners would/should get.
This may not make sense, but some might find it will.

-Rhys

Edit:
PS: Yes, mining is a team effort, and should be done in groups. The tag team method is a great way to RP, and I do it also myself. But if the server crashes, whos to say you've lost the majority of your minerals? All the minerals will be gone, all the time spent would be wasted, and who really can help it?
Agreed, the miner is not a trading ship, but it should have a considerably reasonable hold to capture the cargo, incase some other thief might come over and steal your hard earned minerals. Trust me, its fustrating. That is one reason why the cargo bay could be increased to a fairly larger scale.

PPS: Yus! Mining together in groups and doing tag runs is indeed fun! Doing it alone though, can be a bit boring.
Yes, but mining should be a team initiative. My friend and I have done it a few times. For an amount of time he takes to go empty our ore on the planet, and back, I mine just enough for his cargo hold (3600 units in Borderworld Transport), which I usually don't even tractor in myself. He just tractors it in while doing a fly-by, and proceedes back to the planet.
I think it should stay the same. The mining ship is not a Jack-of-all-trades, it is a mining ship. And that is what it does.
Mining is best done in groups. Mining ships to mine the commodities and larger transports to haul the goods while the miners mine.
' Wrote:I can see where you are coming from, mining is boring and pirates focus on traders in the lanes. I wouldn't mind seeing more pillaging and looting in the mining areas since its where pirates can attack more freely since its away from the primary transport routes, and getting help will take much longer.

The very main reason of this topic. It is to increase, not money benefits, but mainly RP benefits. Money isn't everything, you know. But increasing the hold by a smaller enlargement wouldn't hurt, and would improve the mining industries.

' Wrote:Yes, but mining should be a team initiative.

Precisely. No arguments there. Mining is suppose to be a team effort. For example, in systems where Mining ships are attatched to large asteroids, do you see a single Mining Vessel (NPC)? No, there are multiple of them. Not only does making groups of miners more interesting and fun, its actually a major RP benefit.

' Wrote:I think it should stay the same. The mining ship is not a Jack-of-all-trades, it is a mining ship. And that is what it does.

If we wanted it to be the 'Jack of all Trades' then we would enhance it to around 5000 wouldn't we? 3500 is not over the top at all. Going back to the large asteroid miner NPCs, you see the Mining ships attached to large asteroids. You wouldn't think they would carry out such large mining operations for just around 2700? When we shoot a very tiny rock, out comes 1-15 units (depending on the yield of the field, but thats where most yields are around on average). If there was such a massive rock, combine all those little rocks you shoot at and think if you put them all together, you wouldn't even make a quarter of the size of that large asteroid they usually mine.

It shows, do you think enhancing it to around 3500-3800 (within Miner ID limits as I say for the third time, as the Mining Ship is suppose to be 'The Main Miner'), would hurt the RP? No, in fact, it would encourage mining on large scales and benefit both miners, traders, and pirates, providing all soughts of means for RP opportunity.

Only logical?
Ok, you want mining ships that can eat planets? fine. but this new class needs to reflect that! How'd you like a 200 mill ship? Im fine with a massive hold and bonuses as long as....

1. Shields are equal to gunboat shields
2. guns are no stronger than gunboat guns
3. they cost 200 mill and require a 10 mill mining permit.
Mining ship doesn't carry stuff, it mines. Any mining operation is much more profitable of there is a 2:1 transport:miner ratio, and the miner does not tractor in anything. The mining ship costs enough for an oversized, poor handling, badly defended (yes, 10 turrets...ever checked the arcs on those turrets?...) ship that does not even function properly in it's intended environment (not well-built for asteroid fields). Plus, the yield is not sufficiently high that a solo miner fills up that quickly...unless you're mining in 23, in which case, the base is right next door.
' Wrote:Ok, you want mining ships that can eat planets? fine. but this new class needs to reflect that! How'd you like a 200 mill ship? Im fine with a massive hold and bonuses as long as....

1. Shields are equal to gunboat shields
2. guns are no stronger than gunboat guns
3. they cost 200 mill and require a 10 mill mining permit.

Thats going a little over the top. I'm using the large asteroid miners as examples as to what they really mine. Not that we're going to start using Miners to mine the ground of a planet. And its a freighter class vessel, not an oversized gunboat.

' Wrote:Mining ship doesn't carry stuff, it mines. Any mining operation is much more profitable of there is a 2:1 transport:miner ratio, and the miner does not tractor in anything. The mining ship costs enough for an oversized, poor handling, badly defended (yes, 10 turrets...ever checked the arcs on those turrets?...) ship that does not even function properly in it's intended environment (not well-built for asteroid fields). Plus, the yield is not sufficiently high that a solo miner fills up that quickly...unless you're mining in 23, in which case, the base is right next door.

Bad Handling part: False, actually has a pretty good handling, except for the occasional upward drift when you go down, and downward drift when you go up.
Badly Defended: False, the front can fire around 6, while the back can fire up to 8. That doesn't sound defenceless to me, considering all turrets are Class 7 Mountables.
Miners don't need to tractor anything: False. What if some pirate comes by and is about to pillage you? You would tractor in as much as you possibly can and run like mad.
Oversized: Not oversized, but it is big. What do you expect? Its a mining ship, built to mine rocks.
Not well built for asteroid fields: Yeah, its kind of hard to not hit the asteroids, but what do you expect? Its suppose to be attracted to those floating objects. :D

Pages: 1 2