Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Unused Forum Accounts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Ok, from the beginning:

When i first signed up to the forum (this one), i wanted to use the name Montezuma, but found that it was already in use and was annoyed, i then decided upon the name i currently have.

However, today i thought id search for the guy who was called Montezuma, just to see that he exists. What i found was an account that had never been used once since it was created. At this i thought 'thats not fair, i wanted to use that name, but someone who has never even used the forum got to it before me'.

What i am thinking is that the same thing as on the server is implimented on the forum, whereby accounts that arent used within a period of time from their creation (40 days or suchlike), are deleted. As anyone who seriously intends to post here and use their account would log on within 40 days of its approval. I ask this so that it doesnt end up where all but the most abstract names are taken by people who will never use them (look in the 'list of members' tab to see what i mean).

Is this at all a good idea, or am i just talking crap?
' Wrote:Ok, from the beginning:

When i first signed up to the forum (this one), i wanted to use the name Montezuma, but found that it was already in use and was annoyed, i then decided upon the name i currently have.

However, today i thought id search for the guy who was called Montezuma, just to see that he exists. What i found was an account that had never been used once since it was created. At this i thought 'thats not fair, i wanted to use that name, but someone who has never even used the forum got to it before me'.

What i am thinking is that the same thing as on the server is implimented on the forum, whereby accounts that arent used within a period of time from their creation (40 days or suchlike), are deleted. As anyone who seriously intends to post here and use their account would log on within 40 days of its approval. I ask this so that it doesnt end up where all but the most abstract names are taken by people who will never use them (look in the 'list of members' tab to see what i mean).

Is this at all a good idea, or am i just talking crap?
Nope. Why? Old legends like Dboy as an example.

Just no. People can come in and act as them.

Now, deleting forum account with a post count < 100 and a year with no activity, that I can accept.:nyam:
Makes perfect sense to me.
Oddly reminds me to "slot saving" everybody complain about.
Only this time, someone reserved quite cool name, in case they ever need it.
Which they didn't.
Or you could go with Kukulcan instead.
I agree with deleting forum accounts with >500 posts after a year of inactivity. It really is not fair to have awesome names taken up by people with no posts...
Under 500? I think that deleting accounts with under 20 posts is a bit much, let alone that much. I'd be in favour of deleting accounts with no posts after something like a month or so after registration. The thing is, some people simply aren't forumites and just make their accounts to toss in their two cents every now and then or to ask a question. Some only post on the forums when they need to. That doesn't mean that you should take away their forum accounts.
' Wrote:Under 500? I think that deleting accounts with under 20 posts is a bit much, let alone that much. I'd be in favour of deleting accounts with no posts after something like a month or so after registration. The thing is, some people simply aren't forumites and just make their accounts to toss in their two cents every now and then or to ask a question. Some only post on the forums when they need to. That doesn't mean that you should take away their forum accounts.

Like Yoda.
And they call me a one line spammer....

Maybe 500 is a little to high... Something like:

0< 1 month
10< 1 year
100< 2 years
Simply put, someone else beat you to the name & that's just the reality of the situation...I mean, after all he was one of the most famous emperors the Aztecs ever had.

In your case though, all is not lost. If you are really, really dead set on having your forum persona represent that specific dude, (there were 2 of 'em really though) then you may consider using the more proper spelling of "Moctezuma" anyway, instead of wishing to step on someone elses account...used or not.

People come & go from the forums all the time & repost after months or years of inactivity & their accounts are there for them if they so choose to sign in on 'em for one reason or another.

I've got 2 accounts with less than 5 posts that are well over a year & a half old, but they were made for a reason & I don't want 'em ever erased just because I don't post with 'em on a regular basis or because someone who posts more often than I would prefer to have a name that I registered first.

It is also the accounts that have 0 posts, that have never been used.
Pages: 1 2 3