Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Piracy 101
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
' Wrote:Amen! Best guide to piracy ever. It captures the very essence of what pirates SHOULD be. Heck I've never charged more than a million. I don't need to. Why would I? Usually I charge like 500K. Does it make me stupid to want happy, rich traders? No. If the trader is rich, he has more to give you. If you don't take much, he's less likely to go out of his way to avoid you.

And about the whole pirates vs police thing. That's perfect. If only most police understood that. I've been chased 25K into the badlands before losing them cause they hit a rock.

Thank you!

It's very nice to receive a positive response now and then.:)

I agree about the pirate vs police - some people don't know when to stop.:)The fact is Buffalo Base's location is secret to liberty police. We have to break off in time. Some bases and wormhols just shouldn't been seen by cops. (But we much more than 2000 meter head start before it's ok to feel there too!)

mac
I don't entirely agree with the kids' gloves approach to piracy, and I say that as a person who hasn't flown a pirate character in well over a year. Getting robbed should feel uncomfortable. Being a victim of robbery with or without violence as a side-dish should be and is a nasty experience.

Personally, having been robbed many a time, I find the credit demand a little boring unless it is done imaginatively - like getting a demand to open the ship safe or strong-box. Taking cargo equally hurts a player, but in a way that is more believeable. Having handed over codename weapons to avoid getting killed could also be financially damaging and disrupt a player's money-making, but at least it makes piracy credible.

Too often, one person's "fair play" equals "my way".
Quote:I'm not an admin, and maybe the admins don't consider it cheating - but they should. That's my opinion. I think it's a tragic shame you consider this a legitimate tactic.
Did you read what I said above what you quoted before replying to that? I don't condone that action. I specifically said:
Quote:While what you have stated is very correct, and very bad form, since when did you become an admin?
I simply don't appreciate you making a judgment about it with such absoluteness, as you aren't an admin.

And, no, I'm not equating players to NPCs. You aren't reading into my posts. I'm stating that had trading occur between player characters(for instance, instead of the base paying the player faction pays you), there would be as many posts about not ripping people off as there would be about demanding less credits/cargo during piracy. That was a part of my attempt to show why people do not appreciate piracy: that it is making money at the expense of others, and unlike trading, often not at the expense of NPCs.

Quote:Here's my counter question: What makes the pirate so much different from the police, the navy, and the others? What gives him a god given right to make a massive profit when so many others do not? What gives the pirate a free pass to ignore other player's feelings?
What gives traders the right to make a massive profit when so many others do not?

What makes you think that Navy boys don't ignore people's feelings when they blast them out of the sky for having 20 units of cardamine?
Guys,enough flaming. which is what (it looks like)this is turning into. each of you have your own view points, and both view points can be correct.
' Wrote:Guys,enough flaming. which is what (it looks like)this is turning into. each of you have your own view points, and both view points can be correct.

Agreed. I had quite enough of this as well.

mac
' Wrote:Agreed. I had quite enough of this as well.

mac

Need any help over here, mac?

Lock time? Just jingle.

Mal
' Wrote:It'll be extremely difficult to prove. The reason it's wrong, is that another character is doing surveillance for the offline character in the system. Feeding your own offline char information on a traders progress, with the intention of teleporting into a trader's path - how do you possibly justify this as good rp? If you want to catch a trader - catch him! Don't hide on other characters to make traders think you have logged or left the system. No matter of RP initiated makes teleporting ok.

I'm not an admin, and maybe the admins don't consider it cheating - but they should. That's my opinion. I think it's a tragic shame you consider this a legitimate tactic.
That's 1 point I must disagree on. Checking the chat to see if there's a pirate in system is equally bad RP as trying to circumvent that. As a matter of fact, doing this is GOOD for RP, because they won't magically know you're there, and will blunder into you as any REAL trader would in real life.

Of course, catching them also leads to RPing. Them avoiding you because they somehow knew you were there... Doesn't.
' Wrote:Of course, catching them also leads to RPing. Them avoiding you because they somehow knew you were there... Doesn't.

It doesn't....?

"Oh, I'm sorry Mr. Pirate!

"Did I fly over the sun instead of staying in the trade-lanes like a complete dipzoid sitting duck?

"A thousand apologies! Won't happen again!"
' Wrote:You have a pirate, but you don't seem to understand the dynamic.

Because if you did, you would understand that the most efficient way to make money is not to tax insignificant amounts to a great number of people, but instead, to make as much money as possible off "one" catch.

Piracy is not trading, but it is also a way of making a great deal of cash.

There is no guaranteed flow of cash. With trading, you know that you will make money when going from point A to point B.

You don't know that when pirating. As a result, you need to ask for the maximum amount when it is possible, and when possible, that would be all their cargo. When it comes to credit taxing, there are guidelines. For instance, I like to ask for 500 credits per possible unit cargo. So, ships with 5000 units of cargo space get taxed 2.5 million, another with 1800 gets taxed 900,000.
You're not following your own rules, buddy...

The most efficient, fast way to make money, is to say "I'll leave you alone for 24 hours for 10 million" or similar.

It works rather well.

Also, charging 3 million is doable. Be ruthless.
' Wrote:It doesn't....?

"Oh, I'm sorry Mr. Pirate! Did I fly over the sun instead of staying in the trade-lanes like a complete dipzoid sitting duck? A thousand apologies! Won't happen again!"
Yes it does. Which is more Rp-full? Trader flying around said pirate who he shouldn't even know is there, saying nothing at all, or worse, taunting him. Or, said trader encountering said pirate, and getting caught, which leads to RPing of being robbed, etc.?

You're gonna need a stronger argument than that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6