Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: How exactly do you change scaling?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
All the talk about scaling things up and down...

I now want to try it out, to see what it looks like and how it would work in game... Unfortunatley im an ameteur compared to you guys at computing so I need an easy-to-understand tutorial.

If theres already a tutorial, could someone link it to me please?
We're talking about resizing things here, yes?

You'd need to resize the .cmp files. All of them. If you resize a fighter but leave the guns fullsize... erm... (not to mention that vanilla fighters may appear to "fall apart" with the components being spread out- or worse if they aren't scaled perfectly- not sure how they're actually put together, but it's a danger).

You may also need to resize the hardpoint model (that little dark gray square thing) depending on how serious of a resizing you want to do.

And quite possible the textures as well...

...oh, the hitbox too while you're at it. Hopefully such a move doesn't cause it to fail inexplicably.

In other words, depending on what you want to do this is a LOT of work. A functional rescaling of a finished model will take some time, and a lot of know-how. Xing/Yui Fei or Jinx can probably do it at reasonable speed or show you how...

What did you have in mind? You might not have to do all of this.
It would be an extremely tedious task.

First you need to load the CMP of the ship into Milkshape and scale it down (This can be done accurately for each ship by inputting the same numbers rather than scaling by hand) and then export it as a new CMP. You would then have to re-hardpoint the entire ship again, as all the old hardpoints would be well off the ship. Then you would need to create a new hit-box for the ship, wash rinse repeat. It would become very tedious, even if you were only doing only Vanilla ships.
And then you would have to scale down all of the equipment (guns, thrusters, pilots etc) to the same factor and re-hardpoint them as well (yes, equipment have hardpoints too >_>)

You may even have to scale down particle effects for guns and tradelanes...

Oh and also, there wouldn't be a problem with scaling vanilla ships. As long as you select the entire ship before you scale it, it will scale the ship to the centre of the ship, not the centre of each hardpoint.

Unless there's a way to scale things up and down with the game engine, there is simply no way this is viable for a mod as already well developed as Discovery. Maybe if you were starting from scratch with a new mod...
ook then...

Seeing as that seems a little hard... Is it possible to resize planets/stars?

All Im interested in doing is seeing what 1 system (pennsylvania I have in mind) would look like if I scaled everything to how it should be.
If you want to resize a planet you need to do it through the planets SPH file useing a UTF editor. Theres a node inside called radius. Most are set to between 1000m - 5000m. Then you need to change the planets radius in the solararch.ini. Heres one i prepaird earlier. rofl i always wanted to say that.

http://i352.photobucket.com/albums/r330/Si...82/screen15.jpg

The problem isn't so much resizing planets, its the fact if they get too big it causes problems. Such as docking and lag, aswell as crashes i believe. But im not 100% sure on that.
If you start upscaling planets, suddenly systems are gonna become far too small. You'll also have a tedious amount of work to do moving docking rings, tradelanes, bases, nebulas, exclusion zones, NPC paths and what have you further away so that they are not consumed by your new massive planets.

It's probably actually harder to do that than the ship thing.