Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: This Weeks Hypothetical Scenario
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
In response to another thread, let us banter.

I can see the community being split here, and that is fine. This is a banter after all and we need people to argue in a civil manner. But here are my thoughts on this matter.

Wreck camping as it can be called to me and others, is Metagaming.

Wikipedia Wrote:In role-playing games, metagaming is the use of out-of-character knowledge in an in-character situation. A character played by a metagamer does not act in a way that reflects the character's in-game experiences and back-story.

To me, and in the server rules, isn't that AGAINST the server rules? Let us put it into context with an in-character scenario.

"I am a pilot who has found valuable loot on a wrecked ship, as in the days of old in pirate sailing! I'm going to be rich!". That RP I can understand, and frankly love, that is the nature of the CODENAME weapons. Buried treasure.

Sadly, not everyone shared my love for that style of RP and log-in, shoot, tractor and log off with little to no interaction or deviation. I'm not sure myself, but some stay as a civilian under a level 30 to avoid any kind of retaliation or interaction. A shield by default.

On the flip side, people utilize this tactic to earn money, this I can sympathise, trading is boring, and missions are cheap unless your in a large ship that can withstand the large missions solo. Arms Dealers have personally annoyed me, but that that is a story for another time.

Arms dealers DO work for their money. They sit there, being preyed on being paranoid. When all along for the same amount of time, they could be trading. But they sit there advertising their wares like eBay in space, loudly.

Now the next question, if we remove CODENAMES from wrecks, where do we get them? I have a possible solution, no not sell them on bases. But create Super NPC Ace ships, the cream of the crop. These are ships with the most advanced technology in their faction, and the hardest to kill. Think of them as mini-bosses. But I can see possible NPC farming issues, and the inability to farm at peak times. But its a possibility nonetheless. EDIT: Just thought of this, make super 'assassin' missions, meaning your target may have CODE weapons!

Now, I'm going to bed and will banter with you all when I get rest. But rest assured! I'll be back.;)

Also, keep this civil, I know this will be touching some nerves for some.
I like the one code collection per character scheme (even if peeps create throw -away chars--which I am not a fan of) and even if the ships were very hard to kill they would be pilfered regularly--unless you put them near Nomad bases and the like. Perhaps Nomad b-ships killed in Iota with the mission near a base? (Haha--that would be fun). Other alternative would be to place npc b-ships on par in power to the Isis and have missions/spawns for the codes be right on top of them.
Now I know I haven't been here long but I actually think this is a pretty good idea. It'd require a bit more teamwork and would keep people from farming them as easy.

The only problem I see is that if the Ace NPC I want to kill for the codename weapon is a part of my faction or an allied faction then I really can't attack them or else I wouldn't be RPing.
' Wrote:Now I know I haven't been here long but I actually think this is a pretty good idea. It'd require a bit more teamwork and would keep people from farming them as easy.

The only problem I see is that if the Ace NPC I want to kill for the codename weapon is a part of my faction or an allied faction then I really can't attack them or else I wouldn't be RPing.
Details would need to be ironed out, yes that is true. Think of it as a lottery, after all to me these are OORP weapons, they're generic.

If you don't get the one you want, sell or swap it with others! Promoting interaction and RP.:)
While I think that this is a great idea, I actually think that if you made Codename weapons lootable from missions or high-level NPCs, it would be even easier for people to acquire them.

Just do all the missions in a destroyer.

If you can manage to do 7-8 special missions, thats 7-8 codes. Far easier than wreck camping. So, even if you made the special missions rare and hard to find on bases...

...it would still mean that more people in general would have access to getting a code.

While earlier, it required wreck camping, or going out and finding wrecks specifically, now, all it requires is taking a mission off a base that offers high-level missions, or simply running a "boss" NPC where you can loot this "elite" weapon off from.

So, what I propose is this: Do nothing. The current system, while flawed, is manageable. After all, is any solution perfect?
If removing Codenames from wrecks keeps people from camping and manipulating the rules, I'm all for it.

I don't care where they're moved to. I like the "super ace" idea. Make the ace ship have a hitbox smaller than a starflea, jumps like a lag at 500 ping and has an admin hull.

That'll keep our "weapon merchant / campers" busy. :tease:
Aren't code-names abandoned or lost prototypes? It makes more sense to me that they are in wrecks not equipped to NPCs.

I have another suggestion. What if we make wrecks undetectable on the map (like new objects in the game like the Shrine) and once every now and then shuffle the location of codenames via the DSUpdate?
' Wrote:Aren't code-names abandoned or lost prototypes? It makes more sense to me that they are in wrecks not equipped to NPCs.

I have another suggestion. What if we make wrecks undetectable on the map (like new objects in the game like the Shrine) and once every now and then shuffle the location of codenames via the DSUpdate?

THAT is a good idea.

A very good idea.

They are [Object]s, so you should be able to add visible=128 to them...
' Wrote:Aren't code-names abandoned or lost prototypes? It makes more sense to me that they are in wrecks not equipped to NPCs.

Much better solution--or else make them sold only on Junker bases. Either of those is good.
I very much like that idea, afterall, if a ship is lost, it shouldnt be seen from miles round, it should be invisible, a hint is in the fact that the ship is LOST, if everyone knew where lost ships were, thy would be examined and towed back to a base long ago.

I am all for this, it would make a lot more sense, and make wreck camping harder.
Pages: 1 2 3