Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: /set diemsg command?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
so I was going through the user commands using the /? cause I saw that cannon had created some new ones. I realized then that there was a /set diemsg command. I tried it without any parameters just to see what it did. Turns out it sets the die message to all, system, self, or none. I tested it out with a friend to see if it really did what I thought it did by a little act of OORP suicide... and it turns out that you really can turn off the death message now.

Now this is where my rant begins. Sure it would be nice to not have death messages flooding the message box, but death messages are almost a neccessity the way the bounty collection works. Most people who post a bounty require that you have proof of the death of that person by your character. Now the pirates (or lawfuls, depending on what side you are on) can turn off that message and pretty much prevent anyone from collecting a bounty on them.

Now, I can understand the use of this command to set it to all or only system, but not to self or none. We at least need to see the death messages in the system chat, or at least locally if not that.
[font=Impact]THIS IS AN OUTRAGE
Actually it just changes what you see.

Other people should still see your death message if you have them turned off and they don't.

At least, that's my understanding, and the only reasonable implementation...
apparently not, my friend was in a whole other system and didn't see my death message when I died

Wait wait wait. If you are a bunty hunter, leave the death messages on. If they have them off, it doesent mean your's are effected as well.
what we REALLY need is to get rid of :

New player: Someguy
Departing Player: Someguy
Death: Someguy was killed by Somedude

seriously, sometimes i have to wait like 20 minutes to take a screenie without these massages. there must be a way to get rid of them!
There appears to be a gross misunderstanding... this will have no effect on the bounty system at all. The Devs weren't born yesterday >_>
My testing suggests that this command is okay.

I tried /set diemsg none
- I didn't see a death message
- The guy who killed me did

I tried /set diemsg self
- I can't remember if I saw a death message
- The guy who killed me did

oh, I had a misunderstandin of self... It only shows when you die?
It changes it so you only RECEIVE the messages that are related to you. That means kills you make and deaths you take. Everyone else sees death messages according to their settings.

Considering I tested it with Cannon. . . I did in fact see said death messages.
Pages: 1 2