Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Using speed mod in open singleplayer.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I read this, and thought about it. It seems, that lots of people like the speed mod for open SP, because it saves time. But if you forgot to deactivate it, you have to fear and to pray...:rtfm:

There are other ways without any risk:

1. Make a double installation following [url=http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21728this tutorial[/url]. Install the speed mod likewise that tutorial shows.
2. Start the speed mod version of FL, and click Multiplayer. Then type in a NEW Account ID, different to the ones, you use normally.

or:

1. Use multiple windows users, to have a "char-free-account".
2. If you use Speed mod, use that special windows user.

Result: If you click multiplayer, and dock on the server, "WHUT? WHERE ARE MY CHARS? Oh ah, puh, of course, the fuse!"
So an accident cannot happen.:cool:

I am not 100% sure, that you can use 2 different Accout IDs on one windows user, but if it is a different installation, it should be possible.
The ID is stored in the registry not the directory of the install, you shouldn't tell people to manually change their account ID.

EDIT: Unless the double install has two different registry trees...
' Wrote:EDIT: Unless the double install has two different registry trees...
Exactly that is, what i am unsure with. Oh and, i meant: Game -> Multiplayer -> (after fresh installation) Enter account ID. Dont plowing into the registry, please.
I am not that sure about programs, registries and how its relation is. But what i think, it should work, if you only type manually another ID. Maybe create a special account for it, without any char, and let it so on that account.

Problem solved?
From what I understand, both installs are running off of the same registry entries, since all you are doing is moving the first install's directory...

Example: You install to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer, copy it to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer_mod, then install again to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer

What you have is two FL directories, and two trees in the registry: "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Freelancer" and "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Freelancer"

If you change your account ID manually in one install, the account ID will change in the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\1.0" location, and when you rename the directory, it'll still be reading the changed account ID from the registry.

Needless to say, back up your account ID before you try this tutorial, because unless there is a set of trees for each install, you'll lose it.
Added: Yeah, if you create a new Windows account "FLDev," and only mod there, and have that account using a different install than the regular account it'll solve your problem.
Edited first post.