Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: These private factions.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A few of the factions in this mod are invite only. A few are:

Nomads, Phantoms, Wild, and Coalition.

It seems the only way to join these factions is to:

A. Post in a thread that isn't checked very often.
B. Wait three weeks for an admin to okay your ID and then wait another week for them to get around to your reputation/teleport.
C. RP with a trial ID for God-only-knows how long until the right person notices you.

These are affective systems, but they have one flaw:

Over the course of these weeks of waiting, I could move on to something more fun and feasible and lose interest entirely.

The SCRA is a good group, but they don't have to be the only Coalition. The Coalition have beautiful ships that are rarely used/seen. It angers me to have all these nice models and never see/use them. I learned about the Coalition gunboat via SP. When I saw the model, my jaw dropped open because it was a beautiful model. After my awe passed I grew angry because I realized that I will never be able to use it. Then I got jealous because I have no idea how the SCRA application works and I'll probably never get in.

My interest for these 'invite-only' factions died when my trial Nomad got corrupted and the Shrine is a pain to get to. Even when you do get there, you might die before you dock because of radiation.

I can see why they're invite-only:

People lolwut a lot.

Even though, you should at least give people a better chance to make independent characters of those factions without having to join the clan and follow its restricting rules.

Can I request a Coalition ID without joining the clan? Can I be a confused Nomad gunship that desires to be human? Can I be a sinister Phantom that speaks gibberish and kills anything it sees? Does RP mean anything anymore or do I have to join a clan that will give me a schedule of when I can and can not get on my character?

I know clans focus on RP, but it seems less so today. Not to be mean, but the Liberty factions lolwut a lot. It makes me sad to see these factions that have such potential be brought down by its majority of PVP-whoring members who give nothing for RP. Some members RP, yes, but not enough to make it an aesthetically pleasing faction.

Just my piece on yet more people using the rules to let me know I can't have as much RP fun as I want.
Umm... I think its still open recruitment. 0.o

http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=33480
Quote:Can I request a Coalition ID without joining the clan? Can I be a confused Nomad gunship that desires to be human? Can I be a sinister Phantom that speaks gibberish and kills anything it sees? Does RP mean anything anymore or do I have to join a clan that will give me a schedule of when I can and can not get on my character?

No, no, and no. The Coalition ID is a small, tight-knit group of survivors. They have three bases if I remember right, and it is likely that the entirety of their space fleet is on a first-name basis. If you are one of them, you are in the in crowd, so to speak. Nomads are even more tightly knit, given that they are joined at the mind. One's thoughts are another's thoughts. And you clearly have no idea what you are talking about with a Nomad wanting to be human... they look down upon humans to a degree you cannot possibly understand, even if they are amusing at times. In their mind(s), Sirius was given to them and humans are for the most part little more than occasionally useful and very loud cockroaches.

No, you may not speak gibberish and kill anything you see. That's a general statement, even Mon'Star retains enough sanity not to burn every bridge for miles around. Just most of them, and his moves are far more complex than meets the eye.

RP does mean something still- which is why none of what you asked can happen. There's also something to be said for community and communication, something that keeps things from just getting silly. When communication breaks down, you get bad things. Very bad things.

Also, there is no such thing as a clan in Discovery. Discovery is the clan. No one mandates when you can and cannot get on your character, other than the four-hour-rule. And that applies to everyone. Not even the Phantoms or the Admins (there is a distinction, whether you choose to accept that or not) are immune to server rules. You would be waiting far longer for the Admins to decide that your RP is so well placed and that the community trusts you enough for a carte-blanche PvP ID than you would for any faction to say "We like this guy, and will vouch for him. If he screws up, we will accept our fair share of the responsibility." and get repfixed within a day or two.

Quote:I know clans focus on RP, but it seems less so today. Not to be mean, but the Liberty factions lolwut a lot. It makes me sad to see these factions that have such potential be brought down by its majority of PVP-whoring members who give nothing for RP. Some members RP, yes, but not enough to make it an aesthetically pleasing faction.

Liberty factions also do not have an ID that says "you can, technically speaking, kill anyone with any ship because we trust you are RPing it". There is a difference. I'd also like to point out that LNS- is NOT A FACTION, it is a ship designation- if they're lolwutting, it's lolwutting indies not lolwutting factions whose behavior is at some level endorsed by the admins.

The bit about keeping people for the RP and not PvP-whoring is the very reason you can't have a Phantom, or a Nomad, or a Wild just because you asked. We take the people we feel understand the role, and respect it enough not to abuse it. The people who, in our experience, will not object to a kick to the nether regions when they deserve it. The people who honestly play that character because they like the character rather than the possibilities.

If you a person in The Wild who does not fit those qualification, let me or "Das Wilde Wesen" know and I will deliver aforementioned kick to the nether regions. Koolmo for the Coalition, Kane for the Phantoms, and Exile for the Nomads. Same deal. We take the power those IDs give us quite seriously, and we do not take lightly to possible abuse of them. We also try to keep in touch to make sure we're all on the same page and don't marginalize those IDs either- which is why we have factions do this rather than an abundance of indies.

If you have further, reasonable questions, I will endeavor to answer them.
' Wrote:Nomads, Phantoms, Wild, and Coalition.

It seems the only way to join these factions is to:

A. Post in a thread that isn't checked very often.
B. Wait three weeks for an admin to okay your ID and then wait another week for them to get around to your reputation/teleport.
C. RP with a trial ID for God-only-knows how long until the right person notices you.

You forgot D, play with absolutely no intent to join one of said factions until you catch the attention with one of the members and impress them with your RP.
You are so misinformed about the Coalition, its almost sad.

They are a respectable faction and they are definitely not invite only.

They have a recruitment thread just like all other factions. The reason these three specific factions are faction only related to the ID and ships, is because they require alot of responsibility.

Seriously, think twice before you start whining about the Phantoms/Keepers/Coalition.

Whatever. Tired of these threads.

******** Whiners.

Recruitment is open, and it is checked regularly.

The last two recruitment posts have not been replied to yet, as I want to discuss them with other members of the faction.

The problem with some of this is that Digital Anvil didn't include a lot of data (if any) on these groups. This means the players have to define it. It would be very awkward if two different groups of players representing said group had different definitions.

It's hard enough with one faction to do this.
ya join for teh RP. Not for the Awesome gear.
You should seriously consider joining those factions
instead of portraiting your own version of their story.
---Incoming Transmission---
--CommID: Viktor Sotskov--

Quote:The SCRA is a good group, but they don't have to be the only Coalition. The Coalition have beautiful ships that are rarely used/seen. It angers me to have all these nice models and never see/use them. I learned about the Coalition gunboat via SP. When I saw the model, my jaw dropped open because it was a beautiful model. After my awe passed I grew angry because I realized that I will never be able to use it. Then I got jealous because I have no idea how the SCRA application works and I'll probably never get in.

Aesthetics? Materialism? Pah. You are more concerned with bourgeois decadence than the pursuit of the inevitable revolution. Perhaps you should consider the Women's Bretonian Auxilliary Balloon Corps.

The note of fractious political divisionism isn't lost on me. You would seek to split and divide the indivisible? You, I suspect, are an imperialist stooge.

Signed,

Sotskov

-End of Transmission-
--Data Connection Lost--
I suspect that his intent is not to divide the indivisible, but rather to divide by zero.
Pages: 1 2