Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Blowing People Up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
No offense to those I spoke to tonight...they handled it fine...but it did prompt me to want to bring this up again.

I've played a "powerful and influential Junker leader", a little bit of "Diplomat" and a "Fleet Commander". In all those I always have gotten threatened (and usually attacked) for reasons such as these:

1. You lookin' at me!?
  2. Insult me one more time!
  3. Ah--a Junker--let's kill it for fun!

...hopefully you get the idea.

I know there will be an occasional mad dog Killer out there along with aliens and terrorists and Mon'star. No worries there--but your average "I have to live in this universe after you die" character HAS to think of the consequences.

Kill a diplomat? Interstellar Incident.
Kill a cop? Sirius's Most Wanted.
Shoot down a liner? Mass Murderer.
Shoot down a criminal lord? Hit list.

So things like, "I woke up mad today!" or "I don't like your tone of voice." aren't justifications for homicide or an act of war. usually I run into this with criminals butt in like manner if you are a cop and do a "summary execution", you are going to lose your badge.

I think it is very important not just for me to rant but for members of varying groups to reinforce that sort of role play. If you are an LPI commander and an LPI officer guns down a trader--he becomes a "bad cop" and you go after him. Bounty hunter takes a wrong bounty? He gets punished by his own for "breaking the code". Crimnal gang member who exectues another criminal leader? Your own faction gets angry becasue you started a gang war.

Things to ponder.
' Wrote:Kill a diplomat? Interstellar Incident.
Kill a cop? Sirius's Most Wanted.
Shoot down a liner? Mass Murderer.
Shoot down a criminal lord? Hit list.

/signed
This is how we expect everyone to behave.

' Wrote:Things to ponder.

Not really, what you said are obvious things. But I doubt that those lolwuters that gave you
such lame excuses will even read this. Some people simply don't give a damn.:sleep:
What about diplomats who tell cops to shove it when issued simple requests such as to hold in place for a contraband scan and, upon being set upon, proceed to open fire on said cops in an effort to kill them rather than submit to said scans?

I mean, ya know, just wondering. I have a hard time imagining every scenario so it's nice to have it laid out for me.
' Wrote:What about diplomats who tell cops to shove it when issued simple requests such as to hold in place for a contraband scan and, upon being set upon, proceed to open fire on said cops in an effort to kill them rather than submit to said scans?

I mean, ya know, just wondering. I have a hard time imagining every scenario so it's nice to have it laid out for me.

Well that's an interesting RP opportunity don't you think?

Quote:Kill a cop? Sirius's Most Wanted.

The diplomats often have diplomatic immunity. So cops shouldn't stop
them for cargo scans in the first place!

Yet if it happens, if the diplomat was not given official immunity or the cop
was simply ignorant then you'd make sure he is taken into custody of shot down.

You'd have to write a full report to your commanding officer and explain the situation
in detail to avoid any unpleasant consequences. <<-- more RP - less lolwuting

' Wrote:What about diplomats who tell cops to shove it when issued simple requests such as to hold in place for a contraband scan and, upon being set upon, proceed to open fire on said cops in an effort to kill them rather than submit to said scans?

Awww--are da feewin's huwt?

Good example.

POLICE:
"You've got contraband their Junker! Pull over and surrender your cargo!"
(classified research materials for the Gallics to examine and forbidden by Liberty--ie, Nomad research).

JUNKER:
"We are on a diplomatic mission and cannot allow you to board us."

POLICE:
"Open up men!"

Yep...I see news on CNN about diplomats refusing to be searched being gunned down by police every day.

Sure--you don't have to accept a claim. But you can "check with higher authorities" rather than having the equivalent of a beat cop make the decision to pull the kill switch. My character should be well enough known in Liberty to have given some at least very slight pause. (and I actually didn't fire until well after two ships CD'd me multiple times and then only to escape--which I did--and no effort was made to kill anyone with my four guns--two of which were pulse cannons.) Hehe--I had forgotten about this but it pleases me that it pained you. Better luck next time copper.

But I am talking about, "Hey--don't smart off to me! Kabam!" more than anything else--which many do here and not just new players.

...and it was "just something to ponder".
' Wrote:Awww--are da feewin's huwt?

*chortles* Not at al! I blew you up, my spirits were soaring like a jaybird. Pew pew pew.

That being said that, while there is a certain wisdom to your statements, I do not believe that there is any place where one will find formal recognition of one Vlad Tink Ambassador within Liberty space. It bears thought that a fellow who wishes to seek immunity from the laws of land (in order to flaunt said contraband around said cops) would proceed with caution to ensure that his status was fully understood.

Unless that position was not being made available to deputy chiefs of the LPI (or was I captain then?) it seems to me that there's also burden of position placed upon you. One does not simply slap the title ambassador on, mouth off to the cops and zoom about the streets disrupting lanes and, when cornered, defend himself with violence and not expect to find all manner of trouble for his actions.

To be brutally honest I'd dare say that this would be an excellent opportunity for you to go out of your way to ensure that your position is known, given your prior track record I'd dare say that you're persona non grata within Liberty, to say nothing of a diplomat harboring immunity.

Two way street.
The thing is:

You dont really kill people in Discovery. You just destroy their ship and they survive in their escape pod. The same would be with a Liner. The Passengers remain in the Escape Pods. Well you can punish them for attacking a Diplomacy Ship or Police Vessel. Or a defensless Civillian Ship.
I dont know if this fits in with all of this, but here.
The thing about the "Bad Cop," well lots of LPI and sometimes LN kill innocents for no reason or RP whatsoever. It's a bit annoying if you think about it. You would expect them to help you, and keep the area secure, right?
Well wrong! I remember the exact names of them if anyone wants the names, pm me.

' Wrote:Shoot down a liner? Mass Murderer.

Errr....oopsie....

/signed
I don't think "people dont really die they always escape" isn't exactly an "in character" pov.

I died?--I do not recall--therefore I reject your reality and replace it with my own and it never happened. Xeno liiiies!

I also didn't expect Liberty to accept the credentials any more than they would accept a Corsair's. Buyt if a Corsair said, "I am a diplomat to the Zoners" then they might treat him slightly differently if there was any chance that could be true. I want special treatment! Actually, I expect shortly to be a near fugitive in Liberty but I am not there yet. Depends on how a couple of things go first.

Actually it isn't about me (or you). It's about disproportionate responses with no regard for consequences. "Yes your honor--I was getting on the bus and a man called me a liar. I found that highly offensive as I am an honest man and upright in the community so I shot him--what's the problem?"
Pages: 1 2