Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Its a Cartograph
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I'm not 100% sure this is the place to post this, since this sub-forum is mostly occupied with ship related threads, but since it is a development forum for submission of content its the best place I can think of.

When I first started playing Freelancer, several things bothered me.
1; no sequel. Well, Discovery fixes that, all the wonderful RP makes a great 'sequel'
2; I couldn't buy those shiny transports/cap-ships/whatever else. Discovery fixes that too, though I'm just content to have other human players flying the bigger ships (Ive always preferred agility)
3; The stations are all one style. SO dissapointing, but I can live with it and maybe that too will be changed in future mod versions who knows.

4; The Bretonia conundrum.
All of the major stellar formations you see (The Edge world nebulae, the barrier, and so forth) seem to be shown on the sector map.
All except Bretonia.
huge swaths of reddish nebulae cut through Bretonia, and now Gallia, yet the nav-map is totally blank space in those spots. This disturbed me no end. Until today.

I discovered the UTF editor. After a couple hours flying around, double checking in-system starfield colors, and working with Hubble images and Paint.net effects and layers I came up with a new nav-map.
The final result has some elements of the original merged back into it for the sake of 'atmosphere' and thus the final product;

[Image: elgeekonavmap.jpg]

EDIT; Beta version, full explanation on page 2;

[Image: elgeekonavmap2.jpg]

Would the developers or my fellow players be interested in this?
Any suggestions?
Critique?
That looks pretty damn good! I'm all for this!
Wow. Looks 100% freelancerish. Good! This is better than that we have.
Holy crap! If this is implementable, I'm all for it as well!
I am currently using it (on and offline), so Id say its implementable:)

I'm glad you guys like it so far, it was alot of fun to be able to fix one of my oldest and deepest nitpicks with the UI.
amazing, looks really cool. this is one of the things i too found very disappointing that the red/orange colour scheme of the bretonian sector doesnt show on the nav map. would be really great if this could be implemented into the mod.
This seems like a valuable and easily implementable addition to the mod. Looks like a great idea.
I'm...not sure...

Whilst Bretonia is very...red...one of it's defining characteristics is lack of any nebulas of any kind. Save for the 2 smog clouds in Leeds, Bretonia is decidedly cloud-free...I always imagined it as representing the very edge of the Sirius cluster, looking out into open space.

If, perhaps, you could make it seem like a very "loose" nebula, that might seem better.
I sort of see what you're saying.
When I say nebula though, keep in mind I am referring to the starfield texture more or less.
Sometimes a system-wide nebula, the starfield, and the nav map all intersect tho.

Regardless, I will make a second version in which the red nebula is 'wispier' so to speak, then run a poll :)
Have you been to Leeds? It's very brown. Other than that, it does look far too much like a nebula than open space... and while it looks good, personally I don't think it fits all too well.

And keep in mind that there are still more systems being added into Gallia, so only having this red part covering the existing systems is making it look weird and unnatural. I don't like the way it extends at all up the top.

I think it's best left the way it is now, even though your addition looks good I feel it doesn't really fit. Like Derkylos said, the red starfield is not a nebula, it's just a star field, probably backed by a red nebula far off in the distance, well outside of unmapped space. The red its' self does not encompass Bretonia, I think.
Pages: 1 2 3 4