Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Found a 3d program that may help ppl make new models
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have recently come across a program called Sketch-Up. It appears to be a 3D modeling program that uses a simulated X,Y,Z axis rather than the standard 2D GUI's found in Milkshape, Gmax and Blender. It is used mostly for architecture so I am not sure if it will work in Freelancer. But if it does, then it will be easy for people to build their own models using this software. :D Does anyone know more about it? I am not sure if it can be run in low-polygon mode.

Sidewinder
Hey there Sidewinder, i know SU inside out due to the fact that i have used it for a 2 years now, what would u like to know?
Hmm Ill check it out. As I could not figure out how to use Blender or Milkshape properly:P

http://www.sketchup.com/
Blender and milkshape are very hard to use and take lots of skills that I don't have. I have not had much time to mess around with SU yet but I will ask for help when I get around to it.

Thanks for the offer,
Sidewinder
Milkshape is pretty bad... Tried it out. Wasn't too happy with the modeling scaling or any of the other tools. The only reason I've used it was to scale up imported ship models and to get them into freelancer. Otherwise than that I'd never use it for modeling or UV mapping.
sorry for grave digging but.... is there any way to import/export ships from FL into SU?
Milkshape is the only (known) portal into the file format freelancer uses. Milkshape can export ( and import) from many different formats, theres bound to be at least one Sketch up can use.
could anyone do this for me because for some reason MS doesn't work on my PC
Don't think it'll work, because SU doesn't use vertexes like MS3D etc. do. Besides, haven't found one exporter for SU besides the ones that come with it, and they can't be used for anything but SU.