Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Thoughts on the mod (Offline)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey there. I've been playing Discovery since 4.84 (with some assistance from the IONCROSS save editor) and I've had some thoughts.

1. Is there any rapid-fire capital ship weapons? All I can find are the Purple Goddess fighter turrets.
2. Kansas. What is the point? If you're looking for a good neutral territory for new players, you could make Planet Wichita in Kansas dockable, and I think it could work quite well. I mean, you can get to a trading route (Magellan, Freeport 4), a lawful sector (Virginia) and an unlawful one (Humboldt).
3. I've had some experience playing on the FLU server, and the mod there had purchasable ship engines, that simply recoloured the exhaust. Is there any way to get that in Disco?
4. In the same vein, I found a mod that allows Freelancer to play in Widescreen here. Is it safe to use this mod with Disco, or not? I'd like to get some advice beforehand, in case I totally screw up FL in the process.
5. I think the Liberty Naval Guard faction is broken. I'm maximum respect with the regular navy, and they STILL want to install makeshift ventilation in my ship engines, if you catch my drift. I can't get into Virginia at all, without them destroying me.
6. If I remember correctly from 4.84, there was 2 different models based on the fighter from Battlestar: Galactica. One model is now used for the Charon, but where's the other (in my opinion, more professionally made) one gone?
' Wrote:1. Is there any rapid-fire capital ship weapons? All I can find are the Purple Goddess fighter turrets.
Basics and Solaris are the fastest refire rate cap weapons, I think.

Quote:3. I've had some experience playing on the FLU server, and the mod there had purchasable ship engines, that simply recoloured the exhaust. Is there any way to get that in Disco?
There probably is. But each faction has its' own colour engines, I don't think it's necessary to mis and match them. After all, what sense does it make to have a Liberty, Kusari or Bretonian ship with a Rhienland engine? It's just not a necessary piece of equipment.

Quote:4. In the same vein, I found a mod that allows Freelancer to play in Widescreen here. Is it safe to use this mod with Disco, or not? I'd like to get some advice beforehand, in case I totally screw up FL in the process.
Screen resolution mods are fine.

Quote:5. I think the Liberty Naval Guard faction is broken. I'm maximum respect with the regular navy, and they STILL want to install makeshift ventilation in my ship engines, if you catch my drift. I can't get into Virginia at all, without them destroying me.
Virginia belongs to the Navy Guard, which is a different faction to the Navy. Do more missions for the LN to increase your reputation with them.
One further thought occurs, and it's so painfully obvious that there's probably an obvious answer I haven't found.

If they have trouble with people forgetting to transfer over their Tractor Beam when buying ships, why not make it so that every one comes with one, similar to how each ship comes with a version of a Scanner, be it a regular, Deep or Advanced Deep one.
The tractor beam is the ID, and the Admins don't want anyone to be flying around without an ID. Therefore, so people don't fly around without realizing they don't have an ID equipped, they also made it the tractor beam. Then, the player would realize their ID is unequipped and dock to buy one or equip it.
' Wrote:The tractor beam is the ID, and the Admins don't want anyone to be flying around with an ID. Therefore, so people don't fly around without realizing they don't have an ID equipped, they also made it the tractor beam. Then, the player would realize their ID is unequipped and dock to buy one or equip it.

And there's the obvious answer I'd missed.
As for the former Mark I, it's now the Charon, but still looks the same.
It's expected it'll be replaced for 4.86 as well.
The Mark II was replaced by a new model - The Nyx.
It's a pretty awesome ship, looks great, handles better. You can check the wikipedia page for it if you wish.
http://discoveryfl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Nyx

Anyways, the thing is that Igiss and the mod devs don't want any imported ships in Discovery, they want all of our ships to be original, and that's why many imported ships have been replaced with new models, and the rest will soon follow.
' Wrote:As for the former Mark I, it's now the Charon, but still looks the same.
It's expected it'll be replaced for 4.86 as well.
The Mark II was replaced by a new model - The Nyx.
It's a pretty awesome ship, looks great, handles better. You can check the wikipedia page for it if you wish.
http://discoveryfl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Nyx

Anyways, the thing is that Igiss and the mod devs don't want any imported ships in Discovery, they want all of our ships to be original, and that's why many imported ships have been replaced with new models, and the rest will soon follow.

Nah, that's OK. I've already flown the Nyx, and it does look pretty sweet. Then again, I traded it in for an IMG GB soon afterwards.

I can understand the imported ships thing, but I'm just not sure why they kept the Mk. I model for the Charon, and not the better looking Mk. II model. Oh, well.