Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A food for thought
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Where there is a single Nomad lore?
Why there is only one Nomad player faction?
When there'll be independent Nomad players?

These are the common questions I've been hearing for a long time. I want to answer to them.

Why...

The reason why there is only one lore for the Nomads is to have the roleplay consistency across the characters. Should every player be allowed to decide for themselves what Nomads are and play by their own interpretations this will cause a babel tower effect where players are speaking each their own "language", in this case each through their own interpretations with inevitable inconsistencies and plain conflicting presentations. This is why there is and will be only one player faction representing the Nomads at a time, one faction that writes the roleplay for them. It's the same way like you know other factions are, but due to the lack of information on the Nomads the vast gaps had to be filled to make a sense out of all that, to lay a foundation for the roleplay that wasn't there before.

A little history for those who haven't been playing on this server long enough to see the time when Nomad ships were publicly available. Surprising as it may be for some of you. Yes, they were available, even the battleships. The amount of players however was also considerably lower than it is now. However back then nobody knew how to play them, there was no lore to unite them, no roleplay model consistent across the characters. De-facto nearly everyone who bought those ships were in for free roaming PvP action with a very wonky roleplay if any at all. Those very few who were in for the roleplay are the ones who later formed the Keepers. But back to the old times. There was a huge mess. Nomad battleships dockraping players at New London, lolwutting Nomad cruisers and so forth. What was the response from the community and from the admins? The massive public outcry, a call for banning all the Nomad characters from the server. You, my dear community, wanted that and you got it. Nearly. These characters were stripped of their ships down to starfliers and put on the Temple of Revenant, back then it served as the Bastille system now. But there were a few who took a different path.

So what happened then? - The Nomads were forbidden to play. End of story. And this would continue to this day if it weren't for us who took the risk despite the negative pressure of those numerous community members who thought that the Nomads should stay entirely non-playable.

What does this mean? - You, the dear community, while given the chance to have what some of you here keep talking about nowadays, has proven itself completely incapable of taking the Nomad roleplay with proper responsibility. You buried your current hopes all by yourselves.

Dig up the old sanctions and you'll learn what happened, dig up the old threads related to the requests of making nomad factions and so forth. It's all open for you to see, to read, just take your time to blow the dust from the old pages, so may be those of you who either weren't there back then or has forgotten those times will finally see for what it was, how it came to be and why.

Once a chance had been given but it has blown out with a rain of server rule violations, very poor, fractured and completely inconsistent roleplay, resulting in majority of the community to have a strong opinion that the Nomads should never be playable here at Discovery, and that opinion would hold for a long time, even today.

It was not because of all that I and the rest of the initial team made the Keepers faction, conceived and straightened out the Nomad roleplay, but against all this, a proof that with tight control it can be done.

The ships were removed from the public use. Did I want that? Nope. I wanted the community to be responsible to the material it plays with and for, alas it did not respond with that.

Later in time people and admins also noticed that the only remaining nomad public ship, the light fighters, they also became a target of misuse, abuse and irresponsible use. Sanctions followed and consequentially came the restrictive trial ID and was locked onto the ship both ways.

What does all this historical talk means?
Why am I bothering to say that?

I'll be honest there: it meant that you, my dear community, have came to the current state of things all by yourself. Whom are you going to blame now if you are the ones holding responsibility to how it all came to be in time? Sooner you'll understand this the better it is for the community as a whole. Sit down for a while and think of what have been done in larger scope. May be in time things will come back to how they were, but you have a long way there, a very long way.

So is happening today? - You choose to each walk apart, each taking own road in hopes it would lead you to the shining kingdom, into the promised land of your free roleplay hopes. But once again taking separate roads, unwilling to walk together, apparently in your proudly self-esteemed so-called "independence".

The more I see all the bickering around on these forms and in-game within the other factions the less I think that it all should be reverted. If you want to change how things are to the better place - I am all for it, but you have to do it first on those factions around that are not restricted yet. Show that you can all work together without constantly arguing for no point at all, and may be then things will change. Together you may change this place, but apart I am afraid you cannot. Apart you keep tearing each other and this place for some virtual toys as if they were real, again and again missing the point that it's not about ownership but about responsible usage. Put aside the differences and do what is necessary to work. Or keep embracing every little thing that make you different but that's a way to nowhere, and you know this. All those countless and endless threads full of envy, arguing and bile are the manifestation of what you are archiving apart. Bickering about capital ships, about pvp whoring, about roleplay, about nearly everything here, just look at yourselves for a moment in the mirror. There you'll find your answer and the reason why this all becomes so restrictive, and after all that ask yourselves if you actually deserve the freedom you desire so much.

Start with yourself today, if you want the future to be a better one than yesterday. Enjoy your time.
This thread was opened under "General Discussion".

We moderators have been given "marching orders", by Admins, and now by the community, not to lock threads unless they have become incendiary, or not germane to the issues presented by the "original poster".

So far, we have not been able to determine "who" closed this topic after one post, or "why".

Therfore, I am unlocking it for discussion. Be very careful, and stick to the issues presented by the creator.

Mal.
Forgot to mention that the topic was locked by myself. It is not intended to be a debate or a discussion, it's my speech, my monologue, saying of what I wanted to say on the whole subject and pointing out things that had to be said. So I'll lock it down. Sorry for the confusion.