Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A more official introduction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Greetings to all of you out there, players of this rather amazing game and, in truth, entire world apart from the world itself. First of all, I would like to formally apologize to the few of you who have had to endure me during the past couple of days when I played on your server without having properly read up on the rules. You see, when I updated Freelancer to the Discovery version through the tip of a friend, and was recommended this server to play on, I foolishly mistook this game as merely yet another MMORPG, akin to so many others I have tried out over time, and when I logged in to start playing, I treated it as such, with no real goal besides accumulating credits, getting bigger ships and guns and shooting as many enemy ships as possible. Just the day before yesterday, I even wrote in the system chat as if it was just the chat of any MMORPG, and considered myself a member of the LPI just because I had bought the ID, without even realizing what a mistake I made.
Well, it was only then that I went here, at first simply to check which duties LPI officers really had and how to fulfill them, but as I started reading, I realized just how dire my mistake was. I realized that this was most definitely nothing like any MMORPG I had ever encountered before, and that playing here meant acting as a role in the game, and not just playing to win. I realized that achieving greatness here was far more than being able to blow people to bits and having more money than everyone else. I saw that this game required something else... imagination. Creativity. Acting skills. Patience.
Now I see how wrong I was, and how I wronged the people near me and the entire server. Therefore, I offer my sincere apologies to all of you, and hope that you might forgive my mistake and let me start over and give me a chance to play this game right.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. I call myself Dark Jack, strangers call me Jack, and my friends call me DJ, but what my real name is, you will never know. I live in the peaceful little country of Denmark (the little dot of land on top of Germany), I am currently 19 years old, and am still undergoing education. Some years ago I stopped early in school to become an electrician's apprentice, but after just a month working as that, I developed arthritis in my hands and had to abandon that career. Instead, I returned to school and put more effort into my studies and I am currently earning some quite impressive grades, mostly A's, and soon I will join the local University to study physics. I am almost constantly in pain because of the arthritis, which has now also claimed my left hip, but I get the best possible out of life and try to enjoy every moment I can.
Although I study science, my real ambition is being a writer. By the age of seventeen, I finished my first short story that got published in Denmark and got some quite good reviews. I am currently working on my first novel, which I hope will be my breakthrough in that career. But when I am not writing or studying, I have been playing MMORPG's, as I mentioned earlier, and played some text-based actual roleplays to practice my creativity and try out my ideas and see how others respond to them.

When I realized how people played on the Discovery RP server, I was actually quite intimidated. I mean, I have written in roleplays before and I have been told that I am a pretty decent writer, but RPing like this - actually acting like your role, and not just writing about it - it seemed like a huge challenge for me, and for a short while, I seriously considered simply abandoning the game out of sheer worry that my abilities would prove insufficient. But I reconsidered, and after having spent several hours over the last two days reading through rules, requirements, laws and history, I have decided to at least give it a shot. But not as LPI... no, that is a bit too rough a start for me. I will start out a Freelancer, until I've worked out the entire trick of playing here. After that... we'll see.

But anyhow, that is the short version of who I am. I salute you, people of Discovery, and hope that you will have me here.
Well welcome to Discovery!
I hope we'll have a good time with you.

Should you have any questions, feel free to ask them, either here, or in the Disco Skype help chat.
(what is the title of your short story?)
Thank you, and thank you for your offer as well - I just might take advantage of it at some point. My short story was, directly translated (since it was written in Danish originally) "Just a prank".
Welcome aboard :D
Hello, I never read long introduction, but, do have fun around~
'sup
^______ He's our local spammer... Anyways, have fun in our little universe. Glad you've noticed it's not just a MMOG- how do they go again? "***GRIND***" "***PAY***" "***GRIND***" "***PAY***" "***BE BROKE***"? Hope you have fun here!
' Wrote:^______ He's our local spammer...

Anyway, again nice to have new people here

*grasps stick and waits for reaven*
well, welcome to Discovery. It's nice to know that your RP has already started improving, and hopefully you'll enjoy your stay here. As long as you keep your fingers away from the trigger, my liberty rogue will be very happy to have enough time to run away from you while shouting "Eeek!". Anyone with a [the_angels] tag in their name is there to help new players, and quite often, other people are willing to help as well (for example, yesterday I guided a liberty navy cruiser to the guard system jump hole because he didn't have the guard ID for it)
Welcome to Discovery man.I like your attitude.
Especially the "Getting best of life' thing.Well said.
Have fun,and if you ever need a hand with something,pm me.
Pages: 1 2