Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Fighter manuverability
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
To the Greatest Modding team out there...
(a little flattery to grease the wheels):)

I was just wondering if you could mod the speed at which the smaller ships (fighters/gunboats) strafe? Left right, up down. If it could be doubled or sped up in any way. That would add a whole lot of realism and strategy to fighter combat. I know that everyone is having a difficult time what with everything thats been going on, if there is anything that I can do don't hesitate to ask. Thanks for your time.

Thor
Aye...

I second that.
Isn't the strafe speed ship-dependent? If not, it should be.
Strafe isn't ship dependant.

Strafe also shouldn't be made faster. It would make it difficult to shoot others, and people would regen shields too quickly to get it and keep it down. Plus, then caps would have no chance of hitting the person.

Freeworlds had ships moving at 150, with a 25 strafe. But the difference was that they also made the guns move faster and deal alot more damage. Here with vanilla weaponry, defences, and shielding, its not quite so simple. It takes only a small time to regen a fighter shield. If a fighter can shoot another an average of once every 30 seconds, then that shield would never fall. Keep the strafe as it is. This is a Vanilla add-on mod, and modding strafe would eventually require the modding of weaponry. Then would we suddenyl start modding ship speed itself?

After that what, modding it so people are flying paper-defense ships that are blown up on the third hit?

You can't make a vanilla mod more 'realistic' without making it non-vanilla.
' Wrote:Isn't the strafe speed ship-dependent? If not, it should be.

Dunno, but the strafe acceleration is probably ship dependent, just as with ordinary ship acceleration. I can't recall if freelancer handles acceleration according to newtonian physics (eg. in relation to ship mass) or according to pre-defined values for each ship. Been a long time since I modded.

While we're at it, I'm all for setting different ship top speeds aswell. Seems rather silly that a fully loaded freighter should have the same top speed as a nimble LF. Cruise speeds should be the same though, for AI-escaping reasons. Imagine NEVER getting rid of a horde of weak AI LF's, valiantly nibbling at your freighter all the way from New Berlin to New Tokyo:(

Proposed top speeds:

BS: ~60
Cruisers: ~65
frigates, large transports: ~70
VHF & equiv: ~75
HF & equiv: ~80
LF & equiv: ~75+

*Awaiting BS fanatics flaming*
Actually, Kir, it is logical for a huge ship to have the same top speed as a small fighter, since in space, there is no friction.

In fact, if anything should be faster, it is the large ships, since their engines would be significant'y larger, and have a much more powerful thrust.

And Dab, it's not like we are talking about doubling the strafe or anything. Increase it by 5m/s at MOST.
' Wrote:Actually, Kir, it is logical for a huge ship to have the same top speed as a small fighter, since in space, there is no friction.

In fact, if anything should be faster, it is the large ships, since their engines would be significant'y larger, and have a much more powerful thrust.

...if their thrust/weight ratio is better than lighter 'crafts, yeah;)

Sure, battleships could have an insane top speed, but, big and lumbering as they are, would take forever to accelerate to those speeds. BS bad handling coupled with high speeds would also result in more spectacular and joyful BS vs planet/random object crashes :D

Anyway, (thrusters), trade lanes and jumpgates take care of all our extreme-speed needs.

Space skirmishing would be/look quite silly if large ships readily could outrun small fighters in engagements.
Yes, but Kir...There is NO significant gravity in space(unless you are orbiting a planet, or very close to a star)...so their weight would not matter. If they were flying around on earth, then yes, it would make a difference.

Sure it would look silly, but dynamic physics just has laws over that. Many of your ideas have been implanted by the general science fiction culture.

And I'm not saying that the speed should change for BSes. I'm saying that they should stay the same, and not change for fighters, since it would be more logical to make BSes faster.

In fact...they actually are in the game. They just do not have afterburners.
' Wrote:Yes, but Kir...There is NO significant gravity in space(unless you are orbiting a planet, or very close to a star)...so their weight would not matter. If they were flying around on earth, then yes, it would make a difference.

F=ma *, "...if their thrust/weight ratio is better than lighter 'crafts, yeah" => QED

Given an infinite supply of fuel, a BS and a LF would both eventually get infinitely close to the speed of light. although the one with the better weight/thrust ratio would approach that speed faster = higher top speed within a given time frame;)

' Wrote:Sure it would look silly, but dynamic physics just has laws over that. Many of your ideas have been implanted by the general science fiction culture.

Freelancer IS general science fiction culture, not a "real life" physics simulation. Different speeds for different ships would sure spice up the game a lot more for me. It could benefit the whole community aswell. Making smaller, lighter crafts go faster, would sure change the current "bigger is better" trend (for the better). Not just everyone flying around RP:ing as BS captains or VHF/bomber pilots.

* not taking account to relativistic speeds, v<0.3c - that would be silly, we're perfectly happy in-game with just 350 km/h, hehe
Let's get back on topic. Strafe is fine, it would just make fighters and bombers even more unkillable by battleships.
Pages: 1 2 3