Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: New weapons description
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I don't know much about modding, I've just got curious because I wanted to change some of the infocards, it might give people some visual aid about the chainguns. I don't want to push any of the developer's excellent job, but the descriptions are a tad-clueless on what is the weapon about:(

I could help with the descriptions, to something like:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?><RDL><PUSH/><TRA data="1" mask="1" def="-2"/><JUST loc="center"/><TEXT>"Solaris" Particle Cannon</TEXT><PARA/><TEXT> </TEXT><PARA/><TRA data="0" mask="1" def="-1"/><JUST loc="left"/><TEXT> Designed for very heavy fighter mounts, this particle-based weapon has a fast refire rate, range and damage but requires plenty energy.</TEXT><PARA/><TEXT> </TEXT><PARA/><POP/></RDL>&nbsp;&nbsp;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?><RDL><PUSH/><TRA data="1" mask="1" def="-2"/><JUST loc="center"/><TEXT>"Bluebell" Tachyon Chain Gun</TEXT><PARA/><TEXT> </TEXT><PARA/><TRA data="0" mask="1" def="-1"/><JUST loc="left"/><TEXT>This is a tachyon-based chain gun that has a very high refire rate but extremely low damage. For the budget conscious pilots in Sirius without a lot of combat requirement, this weapon gives you all the advantages of the hugely popular Chain Gun series without the high price tags.&nbsp;&nbsp;Designed for light combat and defensive purposes, this gun is at home on any light fighter.</TEXT><PARA/><TEXT> </TEXT><PARA/><POP/></RDL>&nbsp;&nbsp;

Please don't take this thread as a complain about the excellent work made on this mod, but as an idea to improve the game. Thanks:)
I believe Stormehawk pointed out that the 'chainguns' found in FL are more aptly described as gatling guns, but its a minor detail to be sure.

I would try to model a new weapon or ship's info card description after those found on the vanilla ships. A weapon found in vanilla freelancer has: the weapon name and some sort of alpha numeric name, the weapon type (photon, tachyon etc.) the faction that designed the weapon and uses it and not much else.

So I would include in the chaingun info card something about what faction designed and uses the chain gun. This of course we don't know. So it isn't really possible to make the chaingun discriptor more like a vanilla weapon's descriptor because it has no relevance to any of the factions in the game. I wasn't here when the chain gun was added but it seems someone wanted a class 10 weapon that could be bought at a base rather than hunted for on wrecks. That gives me another idea which I'll make another post for though.

At any rate, the NPCs don't use the chaingun, there's no description about its history in the disco time line so there are no opportunities to use it to augment role play. The people who use them have various reasons for it but in essence it seams to be an orphan catch-all weapon cluttering up the Zoner weapon's dealers.
If I would had to pick a faction for the new weapons that everyone can use, it would be either "Civilian" (tons of factions use Civilian ships, like the Eagle - but I don't think military factions would use this option) or "Zoner" (since everyone is neutral with them, even the Xenos use their Fury 4 cannon, because they don't have a faction-specific class 9 energy weapon).

Some new weapons in Discovery DO have the same vanilla-style description, but some other weapons fail to give an appropiate and accurate description....