Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The bombing of Cork
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I have a few characters, both existing and upcoming, that this will effect. I'd like to get my RP right, so I'd be grateful for some info.

Please don't flame or flood in this thread, it's an honest attempt to establish some facts. That said, on with the questions.

1) Why did the Corsairs do it?
2) What was the reaction of the other Houses to the bombing, most specifically Liberty?
3) What was the reaction of the Order and why haven't they denounced the Corsairs? (Not sure of the date of inception of the Corsair/Order alliance but my belief is it predates Cork. Please correct me if I'm wrong)

Thanks.

Additional thanks to the Molly pilot that stopped me in Leeds the other day and as a result prompted question 2.
Cork, Cork, Cork. The first time I heard about Cork it was kind of interesting. However by this point I just want people to put a [Cork] in it. As far as I'm aware there wasn't much if any RP about the Cork bombing, similar to the Cambridge bombing.
The bombing of Cork was just something written into the background, and as far as I know few people outside the Mollys have ever really payed attention to it. Though, as written, it's just about the worst non-nomad atrocity ever committed, even including during the pre-Sirius Coalition/Alliance war. It's even beyond anything the Phantoms have accomplished.

I've never seen any RP dealing with it, but, maybe there should be. It's not really something which can be realistically ignored.
Official Molly Republic stance (Sprolf or Mike, feel free to smack me if I got something wrong):

Planet Cork was put in-game when system standards were lower than they are now, so you could get away with putting in things that didn't make a whole lot of sense. The Mollys, a ragtag lot of miners, creating mass settlements on a planet within several years of discovering it is silly, as is "nuking" an entire planet. So we just assume that there were some mining colonies planetside that got nuked, while the rest of the planet is uninhabitable/worthless anyway (Cork's infocard is really vague about, well, everything, and we're trying to get it changed).

In that light, we don't view the bombing of Cork as some horrible nuclear holocaust, but more as a really inconsiderate thing thing the Corsairs did that was very not nice. Those jerks. And on that note - probably none of the other Houses paid much attention to it.

Like I said, this is the Molly Republic's stance which is based on nothing more than lots of headache-fueled discussion, so you can look at it differently if you want. Until the infocards for Cork and everything else in Londonderry are changed to reflect some common sense you should really take Cork's backstory with a grain of salt.
So that's why the Republic was always so civil with me... to be honest, I was always sweating bullets while dealing with you on my zoner.
' Wrote:Official Molly Republic stance (Sprolf or Mike, feel free to smack me if I got something wrong):

Planet Cork was put in-game when system standards were lower than they are now, so you could get away with putting in things that didn't make a whole lot of sense. The Mollys, a ragtag lot of miners, creating mass settlements on a planet within several years of discovering it is silly, as is "nuking" an entire planet. So we just assume that there were some mining colonies planetside that got nuked, while the rest of the planet is uninhabitable/worthless anyway (Cork's infocard is really vague about, well, everything, and we're trying to get it changed).

In that light, we don't view the bombing of Cork as some horrible nuclear holocaust, but more as a really inconsiderate thing thing the Corsairs did that was very not nice. Those jerks. And on that note - probably none of the other Houses paid much attention to it.

Like I said, this is the Molly Republic's stance which is based on nothing more than lots of headache-fueled discussion, so you can look at it differently if you want. Until the infocards for Cork and everything else in Londonderry are changed to reflect some common sense you should really take Cork's backstory with a grain of salt.

So we ignore some infocards and cherrypick what is right and what isn't?

By that same token, I could argue that Omega 49 was added was added when system standards were lower.

Also, remember to note that the Cork infocard paints the nuking as an atrocity, since it is made to b the Mollys symbol of who their true enemies are.
' Wrote:Cork, Cork, Cork. The first time I heard about Cork it was kind of interesting. However by this point I just want people to put a [Cork] in it. As far as I'm aware there wasn't much if any RP about the Cork bombing, similar to the Cambridge bombing.

' Wrote:Official Molly Republic stance (Sprolf or Mike, feel free to smack me if I got something wrong):

The real-world Cork city (in Irish it's called Corcaigh, from the Gaelic corcach meaning swamp, as the city is built on an island between two channels of a river) was , in fact, burned. Whoever included a burned Planet Cork in the Molly system was inspired. Shame on you for not doing your research.

The Cork (place)/cork (wood usually used to make a stopper) joke is funny as hell. You should claim copyright on it.

http://www.corkcorp.ie/aboutcork/historyof...eburningofcork/

[Image: burning-of-cork.jpg]
Anyone have the Corsair viewpoint on this?
Cork is borked.

Most Corsairs think it's kinda annoying that we get painted terrorists when the Phantoms have been doing all the hard work and rarely get called out on it.

I actually like the idea that the Phantoms actually did it, but made it look like the Corsairs were the ones. (as they have had Osiris' for a while as well, and the infocard says it was a "Corsair fleet) Molly's are happy because the roleplay stays the same, we have a talking point that we're not genocidal madmen, and the Phantoms secretly get the credit.

But then again, I don't know the history of the real city, so maybe this does make a bit more sense.
^^
Finding out that the Phantoms set up the Corsairs is actually a really good idea (of course, we'd need the Phantoms' input). It would remove the burning question of: if the Corsairs managed to bring in a whole fleet to Londonderry and nuke every square inch of its planet, why isn't Londonderry under Corsair colors already?

Keep the ideas coming, the Molly Republic is looking to get all of Londonderry's infocards updated and we could use more suggestions.

Oh, and one other thing, nowhere does it say that the history of the real Cork should in any way affect the outcome of events in-game.
Pages: 1 2 3