Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Can someone tell me about Bretonian Politics?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am working on fleshing out a character of mine, and to do so I need some more info on the Bretonian political parties. Specifically, I would like more info on the views, standing, etc of the following parties:

Crown Royalist
Populist Party
Imperialist Royalists

So far my research has not been able to turn much up, other than the brief conflict between Mountbatten's forces and Canaria's Fleet.

I would love to have more light shed on the inner workings of Bretonia.
Green Front?
' Wrote:Green Front?

Not a political party, just an envionmentalist movement (kinda like greenpeace).

The system works in roughly the same way to the current British political system (commons, lords, royal family etc.), not sure about particular parties though.
I have a tendency to look at it similarly to the Star Kingdom of Manticore.
' Wrote:Not a political party, just an envionmentalist movement (kinda like greenpeace).

The system works in roughly the same way to the current British political system (commons, lords, royal family etc.), not sure about particular parties though.

They're a political lobbyist group for Planet Cambridge. It's not too much of a leap to think they'd support some candidates.
Unfortunately the idea of the Green Front being a viable Bretonian political lobbyist group doesn't make much sense when the Gaians openly support Kusari in the war. Before the war, maybe, but since it began, and especially since Kusari started to close in on Bretonian systems, the Green Front will have no real political support whatsoever.
And that's a good example of why the Gaians + Kusari = :ylove:logic should be changed. There's less and less reason for such to exist everyday. Not everyone should fall into the Corsair/Outcast or Bretonia/Kusari one-or-the-other combinations.
' Wrote:And that's a good example of why the Gaians + Kusari = :ylove:logic should be changed. There's less and less reason for such to exist everyday. Not everyone should fall into the Corsair/Outcast or Bretonia/Kusari one-or-the-other combinations.
You have no idea how much I agree with you. We've already made some strides towards that, with the Blood Dragons losing their alliance with the Outcasts and similar things.
' Wrote:I am working on fleshing out a character of mine, and to do so I need some more info on the Bretonian political parties. Specifically, I would like more info on the views, standing, etc of the following parties:

Crown Royalist
Populist Party
Imperialist Royalists

So far my research has not been able to turn much up, other than the brief conflict between Mountbatten's forces and Canaria's Fleet.

I would love to have more light shed on the inner workings of Bretonia.

LeMaitre's the man to talk to about a lot of that, but having been involved myself, I can say a bit, too. In Bretonian politics, the Queen and nobility have a much stronger role than they do in modern British politics, so much so that the House of Lords is the stonger of the two houses of Parliament. The Commons is comparitively weak, and can rarely muster the strength to counter the Lords, though it's not unheard of. Most of Bretonia's Prime Ministers have also been drawn from the Lords, rather than the Commons. I'll give you a basic breakdown of the parties next.

The Populist party no longer exists, having been disbanded by the Queen. This caused Her Majesty a fair bit of political fallout, and she ended relinquishing her direct influence in some areas to stem off a popular revolt. The Populists advocated a much stronger role for the more democratic House of Commons, and much greater restrictions on the Monarcy and Nobility. Basically, they wanted to make Bretonia more like modern-day Britain. They posessed a large number of the seats in the Commons. This was to fork off into an active populist rebellion that never materialized, due to some RL issues on the part of the groups leader.

The two royalists you mention are actually one political party, the Crown Royalist Party. They're the more conservative party in Bretonian politics. It has two major factions within it, though they're still the same party. The Progressive faction are political centrists who support the current political system, and see no need to change it, but do believe they can effect positive changes within the current framework. Prime Minister Mountbatten is the leader of that bunch. Further to the right, you've got the Imperialist faction, which are the more hard-liners. The previous Prime Minister, James Worthington belonged to that faction.

There's also several smaller parties, but none of them are presently in a position to break up the Crown Royalist government. They don't even have the political clout to form a coalition government. The Populists made up most of the left-leaning part of political landscape, with the rest being fringe parties that don't appeal to to the masses. When the Populists were removed from the picture, most people chose to vote for the more progressive element of the Royalist party, rather than gravitating to the fringe parties.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit. I'm sure if you can catch him, LeMaitre will give you a more exaustive explanation on the subject, since he excels at that stuff, but that's a basic introduction. You can also pick up on a bit more in the Parliament thread, which can be found here. It takes place entirely in the House of Lords.
Well for me, bretonian politics is complicated, but their RP is even harder.

I tend to stray away from bretonia because of their evil RP.
Pages: 1 2