Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Setting up a Salvager Frigate
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Greetings Gentlemen. This post i would suppose is for other Fellow Junkers as this ship is Junker only.

I just recently got my Salvager, full Junker IFF/ID. I love her to death already.

Im sure loadouts for our lovely salvager are as varied as the families who crew them, but I thought I might ask how some of you other Junkers out there have yours loaded.

I was trying to keep a good middle ground of firepower, defense, and still keeping it "Salvage" vessel. So I went for 1 mining laser, 3 basic gunboat turrets, a 2 basic gunboat missile turrets.

Does that look half decent? What are you gents running with?
sounds decent.
Don't expect to fight off other gunboats with it, especially those with battlerazors. Bombers and Fighters will be slightly challenging since regular turrets have fairly slow projectile speed and missiles can be counter-measured. You should be fine against other transports though. Your build is pretty balanced, but it's still pretty weaksauce against real threats. Only problem with going fully anti-fighter or anti-gunboat is that then you can't counter the other kind.
' Wrote:Don't expect to fight off other gunboats with it, especially those with battlerazors. Bombers and Fighters will be slightly challenging since regular turrets have fairly slow projectile speed and missiles can be counter-measured. You should be fine against other transports though. Your build is pretty balanced, but it's still pretty weaksauce against real threats. Only problem with going fully anti-fighter or anti-gunboat is that then you can't counter the other kind.

I don't really plan to pvp in this ship. I just need something that can defend against enemies during missions, can handle the random pirates, and wouldn't be completly worthless helping out some buddies in battle.
I've tried two different setups on my salvager since 4.85 released, both had their pluses and minuses.

Setup 1:
6x Zoner Gunboat Turrets

With that setup, I was easily able to take out most fighters and bombers that decided to attack me. During one scenario I was fighting four xenos at once - three in crow HF's and one in a civ bomber, and I took out three before going down. In another, I was attacked alone in orkney by a Gallic Brigands Bomber and a Gallic Brigands Light Fighter - killed both of them without more than a few scratches to my paint.

This setup is good for defensive combat, when the odd fighter or bomber comes after you, especially if you can overcome the salvager's size and lack of manuverability with good flying skills. Problem is, it cant do jack to gunboats, and isnt really effective against other transports (You can still beat just about any transport out there, but you'd do better against them with razors/pulses).

Setup 2:
2x Gunboat Razors
2x Gunboat Pulse
2x Gunboat Missiles (one on the forward-only hardpoint, one on the rear-only hardpoint)

This setup I've only used in two real combat scenarios so far, when people were trying to pirate me or just attacked for no reason. The first was against a corsair praetorian bomber that was trying to pirate - I tried to RP my way out of it like I usually do, but he would have none of it, so I unleashed with a pulse -> Razor -> missile salvo. In that one instant I took his shields down and left him with about 10-20% hull as I took off at thruster speed into an asteroid field where I could get to cruise.

The second fight was against an outcast gunboat that attacked me, and a fighter joined in against me late into the battle. Needless to say, even with heavy weapons like razors and pulse, the salvager doesnt stand a chance against enemy gunboats on it's own. Gunboat shield regen and their ability to fire more heavy weapons gives them a huge upper hand.

Against transports, this setup would work rather well, since you have heavier weapons to take down shields/hull - but remember, if you ever try to pirate in the salvager, you need someone else with you that has a disruptor.

I'm currently using setup 2, but I'm going back to setup 1 as soon as I can get to a base that sells the guns again. I just prefer the faster weapons for hitting fighters/bombers, and no setup will let you take gunboats effectively. I'd like to use IMG turrets or something similar instead of Zoner turrets, but unfortunately I'm not able to without posted reasons, and there's really no reason I can think of other than "on the black market, lol?"
Thanks Alot Tenacity, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Ill try both setups and see how I like em. But #1 sounds like what im looking for. Something that will do well in missions and be able to handle it against a pirate if things dont go well.
Wow, making a Salvager soon then... sounds like fun.
It all depends. Combat salvager or mining salvager?

I suggest you remove the mining turret, get some good guns, etc.
More Salvagers intended to their purpose, less combat ships with 3k cargo

\o/
' Wrote:More Salvagers intended to their purpose, less combat ships with 3k cargo

\o/

Get scrap metal mining buffed, and maybe it will be worth doing over mindless trading.
Pages: 1 2 3