Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Theoretical Discussion about credits.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Okay, lets look at Credits in Sirius today. We have single commodities being worth over 2000 credits, transports hauling in 5-10 million credits per haul, pirates stealing 500,000 credits up to even 5 million credits. A single Enhanced Countermeasure costs 500 credits. That's equal to how much credits you start with in Vanilla SP.

When did inflation in Sirius get so high? Why are we so rich, yet so poor? To me, it doesn't make all that much sense. The Sirius credit is worth less than the indian rupee.

So, what would Sirius be like if we divided the prices and credit balances of everyone by a factor of 10? 5 million credits becomes 500,000 and 500 credits becomes 50. Everything, price wise, would be the same as it was now. It'll cost you a whopping 89.5 million credits to buy that precious armour, and those stingy pirates will be sucking 50,000 credits from your account balance. New characters would start with 850 credits, and anything costing less than 10 credits would cost only 1 credit.

What's the point, you ask? If you think about Vanilla Freelancer, the first time you ever played the game. Remeber how much one million credits was? 'The deal of a life time.' To quote Trent. Now we wipe our proverbial asses with million dollar credit chips. If the credit count was reduced, prices would not be effected at all, only the figure would change. It would also make pleanty of room for more expensive equipment, and remove the need for multiple characters to store all those power traded credits. The 1.9 billion credit limit would be equivalent to 19 billion credits today.

So, what do you think, what would Sirius be like if we divided everyone's credits and all the prices by a factor of 10?

200k or dai!
i like big numbers
Congratulations on your +1.
Well , that would be interesting for a change , I guess. So , yeah , why not...
' Wrote:Okay, lets look at Credits in Sirius today. We have single commodities being worth over 2000 credits, transports hauling in 5-10 million credits per haul, pirates stealing 500,000 credits up to even 5 million credits. A single Enhanced Countermeasure costs 500 credits. That's equal to how much credits you start with in Vanilla SP.

When did inflation in Sirius get so high? Why are we so rich, yet so poor? To me, it doesn't make all that much sense. The Sirius credit is worth less than the indian rupee.

So, what would Sirius be like if we divided the prices and credit balances of everyone by a factor of 10? 5 million credits becomes 500,000 and 500 credits becomes 50. Everything, price wise, would be the same as it was now. It'll cost you a whopping 89.5 million credits to buy that precious armour, and those stingy pirates will be sucking 50,000 credits from your account balance. New characters would start with 850 credits, and anything costing less than 10 credits would cost only 1 credit.

What's the point, you ask? If you think about Vanilla Freelancer, the first time you ever played the game. Remeber how much one million credits was? 'The deal of a life time.' To quote Trent. Now we wipe our proverbial asses with million dollar credit chips. If the credit count was reduced, prices would not be effected at all, only the figure would change. It would also make pleanty of room for more expensive equipment, and remove the need for multiple characters to store all those power traded credits. The 1.9 billion credit limit would be equivalent to 19 billion credits today.

So, what do you think, what would Sirius be like if we divided everyone's credits and all the prices by a factor of 10?

200k or dai!

Actually, this happens in the real world too (but perhaps at a slower rate...). nearly 100 years ago, 50 shillings in Britain is worth something like 160 dollars in today's market. 50 shillings was worth a lot back then, yet today, and iPhone costs twice as much, making 50 shillings look like scrap metal.

Basically, as time goes by, inflation does sort of increase, and I'm guessing it makes sense because of new technology, materials and products. A VHF in the vanilla cost's roughly 300K to 700K, however, it has been 20 years since vanilla, thus I'm guessing its normal for a VHF to cost about 2 mil average. And then again you have new technology, such as bombers, and then of course you have cannon's cloaking thingy which lets you know when a person F1's in space, I'm guessing that perhaps comes along with the price of the ship, in terms of RP of course. So to be honest I'm not all surprised.
Yeah but... 17 years? I'd expect some inflation but not that much... With a universal currency, would there even be inflation at all?
I would hazard a guess that inflation went insane after the Nomad Wars, to my memory after each world war here, the prices of everything skyrocketed for a number of reasons.

Now, yes this is Freelancer with lots more technology, but society is just as weak to the fallout of war as we were with the birth of nuclear weapons.
The Nomad War wasn't really a war in that regard. It's totally classified, and the general population doesn't even know it happened. The details of Trents Lone Star are classified, remember?

Edit: nevermind. I forgot that the houses went to war with each other, namely Rhienland, during the Nomad War. That name is a bad name for it, we should come up with a better one. One that the Governments were likely to use as a cover.
True, but the need for vast raw and processed materials for the rebuilding military and commercial entities across the board must have been huge, and since there is less to go around according to the lore from Rheinland, prices would jump.
I'm not exactly big on my economy knowledge, but doesn't the economy boom during war time? Kusari and Bretonia are at war, and Liberty and Rhienland are at war. I dunno, the war got America out of the last recession.
Pages: 1 2 3 4