Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Way to see if someone is a pirate or not without scanning?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
You know what they all say about how to avoid pirates: check the member list? However, not all pirates have telltale names (I feel we should make them, but its really their choice, else I'm gona call my trader PIRATE-SilverLeaf or SilverPirate). And its usually the nasty ones that don't. The official factions are usually (not always) reasonable, not the DROP EVERYTHING OR DIE kind, but can't be too sure really. However, going up to 2k range and scanning them ain't exactly my idea of safe.
Also, before coming in weapons hot with my battlecruiser to respond to pirate threats, I'd like to know how many allies and enemies I'm up against.
You can info query them when they are about 9.5k away, just highlight them and click the "I" button in the top right corner, look at their ship, if its a corsair gunboat, run awayyy!
You can sub-target their weapons at just under 10k and you can see what they are packing as well.

However, awesome people have decided that this is meta-gaming and the topic is generally taboo in some ways.
Really? Why is that metagaming? It's your long range sensor at 9.9k.
If ship sends out suspicious transmitting, you avoid it.

Hell, people hit Y to find out where OPG currently is. Unfair? Maybe, but htere's no other way to deal with it at the moment, so at this time I don't bother complaining at all.
' Wrote:You know what they all say about how to avoid pirates: check the member list? However, not all pirates have telltale names (I feel we should make them, but its really their choice, else I'm gona call my trader PIRATE-SilverLeaf or SilverPirate). And its usually the nasty ones that don't. The official factions are usually (not always) reasonable, not the DROP EVERYTHING OR DIE kind, but can't be too sure really. However, going up to 2k range and scanning them ain't exactly my idea of safe.
Also, before coming in weapons hot with my battlecruiser to respond to pirate threats, I'd like to know how many allies and enemies I'm up against.

Get a better scanner that scans at 4k

Also why should all pirates have a big call sign before thier name!. In true RP if you are flying through Magellan for example you should have no idea what ships are in the next system and In fact no idea what ships are more than 14k ahead of you. You jump, you take the chance! It is the same for pirates, we disrupt a trade lane and unless they have a LNS/LPI etc IFF we dont know who they are. Could be a BH, mercenary or freelancer looking to take a bounty on a pirate.

That is half the fun, the unknown.... If you make everyone stick a tag befor there name ie <Pirate> <Smuggler> <Police> etc it will spoil the game. Lets be honest if I am a smuggler or Pirate I dont want to broadcast it to the world. You get close enough then you know whats a coming! Just like in the good old pirate days, see a ship, get close enough for your old spy glass and 'oh poo' hes flying a skull and cross bones... Man the guns, pee your pants etc etc

I lost 5 codename weapons to the LR a while back while flying through California. Now I was carrying them in my hold, a big risk I hear you say, and yes I could have looked a the list of who is in the system as the LR is plain to see, but that spoils the fun and excitement of not knowing whats coming next.

I personally dont want any easy life. Trading just for cash to buy the BS or powertrading to get the most cash. Knowing whos up ahead so I can avoid any interaction and not get pirated. Know where the police or Navy are so I can avoid them. Blimey how boring that would be.

My ten cents
' Wrote:Get a better scanner that scans at 4k

Also why should all pirates have a big call sign before thier name!. In true RP if you are flying through Magellan for example you should have no idea what ships are in the next system and In fact no idea what ships are more than 14k ahead of you. You jump, you take the chance! It is the same for pirates, we disrupt a trade lane and unless they have a LNS/LPI etc IFF we dont know who they are. Could be a BH, mercenary or freelancer looking to take a bounty on a pirate.

That is half the fun, the unknown.... If you make everyone stick a tag befor there name ie <Pirate> <Smuggler> <Police> etc it will spoil the game. Lets be honest if I am a smuggler or Pirate I dont want to broadcast it to the world. You get close enough then you know whats a coming! Just like in the good old pirate days, see a ship, get close enough for your old spy glass and 'oh poo' hes flying a skull and cross bones... Man the guns, pee your pants etc etc

I lost 5 codename weapons to the LR a while back while flying through California. Now I was carrying them in my hold, a big risk I hear you say, and yes I could have looked a the list of who is in the system as the LR is plain to see, but that spoils the fun and excitement of not knowing whats coming next.

I personally dont want any easy life. Trading just for cash to buy the BS or powertrading to get the most cash. Knowing whos up ahead so I can avoid any interaction and not get pirated. Know where the police or Navy are so I can avoid them. Blimey how boring that would be.

My ten cents

It's late and I'm tired.. So to sum it up:

What he said.
' Wrote:Really? Why is that metagaming? It's your long range sensor at 9.9k.
If ship sends out suspicious transmitting, you avoid it.

Hell, people hit Y to find out where OPG currently is. Unfair? Maybe, but htere's no other way to deal with it at the moment, so at this time I don't bother complaining at all.

I meant the chat list.
The fact that the player list shows the current systems of the ships is indeed a curse. In my opinion we should get rid of it, as it spoils the fun too much.

I am currently looking for a good way to prevent our pilots from using it in future events.:P
In the past the LR- have removed their tag because people were abusing it to hunt them ruthlessly using the chat window.

There is no real way to pick out a pirate before they get to you. But, half the excitement of space is that it's dangerous. Even if you named yourself 'pirate' people will still scan you, especially with such a high rank. Remember than not all pirates are allied either. On top of that... you will have a corporation IFF with that super transport of yours, which will give you away right away. If anything it will only give you more trouble with lawfuls.
' Wrote:You can sub-target their weapons at just under 10k and you can see what they are packing as well.
Use this method. If your lucky you'l also get a their ships design in wireframe format. Not all ships have it but for MkII vessels such as the werewolf and the saber you can't miss.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6