Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Yacht-like Transports?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been thinking we need a new sub-class of transports, kinda like a middle ground between freighters and transports. Blockade runners.

What I'm thinking is, smallish (for transports), somewhat maneuverable (for transports), with lowish cargo (depending on the individual ship, probably between 2000 and 3000) and good armor for their size (90-120k, maybe). Also, like the Yacht, give them a somewhat quicker speed than normal transports (though their thrust speed should still be lower than a fighter/freighter), as well as dual-CM slots. Weaponry can vary depending on the particular ship; some may be extremely light, made entirely for slipping through and running away (this is mostly what I'm looking for), while others (likely those with less cargo) may be relatively heavily armed (along with a CD), for use as attack/piracy transports.

Basically, I'm looking for ships like the Yacht, only without the luxury stigma and with a bit more cargo.

Don't worry about people abusing them; they should be priced the same as mid-size transports (like the BW trans or Firefly), but would have a fair bit less cargo room than those. And honestly, most traders aren't going to sacrifice 1k cargo (or even 500 cargo) for a second CM and a somewhat faster thrust speed. It's more of a niche market.

I'm hopeless at shipmaking, or I'd try myself (though I also lack Milkshape).

Thoughts?
I like this idea somehow, although I am very biased.

I am thinking of some heavily armoured bulky transport, reinforced with thick plates on the sides. But it should still look kind of quick.

I will think up a concept, I think.
Who needs blockade runners:P

I just fly 20k above the plane....
Whoops... shouldnt have said that
every house has a 2000-3000 small transport with CD/CM already, would be easier to just buff them up to a higher speed, give them another CM slot and more guns.
Correo
Bactrian
Grizzly
Dromedary
Clydesdale
Humpback
Drone
Armored Transport(s)

All perfect examples of potential blockade runners. Some may think of them as small shuttling craft but their small enough to slip through blockades with enough cargo to make the journey worth it.

No need for a blockade runner ship. Just use your imagination.
i have to agree with birdtalon

while the idea of a blockade runner is a good idea indeed. - the role of "running a blockade" is impractical in freelancer ( as its rather pointless in space in general )

its the problem that applies to smuggling. - you only run a risk at pure tight spots that you just HAVE to pass - the rest of the journey, you can fly just a little above / below the plane and no one will ever spot you. - so you only "run the blockade" when you WANT it.

blockade running is essential when there was something like in the single player.

[ remember? - in the mission where you stop the smuggler and the navy deploys like six gunboats at a jumpgate ( or was it just fighters? ) ]

but if players did that in disco ( deploying half a dozen police gunboats to stop a heavy fighter ) - people would not only scream inRP, but scream and cry ooRP, too.

there is no real blockade running and - there is no real need to do it. - its a bit like the repair ship. - its a good RP ship. - but you don t really need it. if it vanished in that moment - hardly anyone would notice.
There are plenty of smaller craft that can do the job just fine.

Trying to run a blockade in a ZBT? Priceless!
Personally I smuggle/blockade run/break embargoes with my Firefly. It's a decent ship for getting away, particularly from larger craft like Slave Liners trying to pirate your cargo xD
Why Blockade Runner Ships? You can easily avoid the Police.
Ok, ignore the name 'blockade runner', and just consider the request for smallish transports with Yacht-like speed/CMs. Actually, Ventana's Rheinland Troop Transport would be a good choice for a ship like this.

And freighters... Are not the same thing. You can actually make a reasonable living trading/smuggling with a 2500 cargo transport, you can't with a 600 cargo freighter (I've tried).

Just because you can avoid lawfuls stopping your smuggler 80% of the time doesn't mean you always want to. Just because you can avoid them by flying about the plane doesn't mean there couldn't be a ship or two specialized in avoiding them.
Pages: 1 2