Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Some things about privacy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys

To be honest, i really did not imagine that my first post will be something like this. As it still is, just a few words about me: I am a Freelancergamer, who played the game about 3 years online. (And i consider freelancer to be among the best games ever developped) I never played on Discovery before, (often heard about it tough) so i finally tried it out myself. And so far i really love the mod, and i love the Server. Until now..

Today, i was talking to someone in the game with the normal green chat. I introduced myself and asked politely if i may can ask him some stuff, as i am kinda new here. He agreed and we started. I have done this here about 15 times i guess and really nobody refused to help me. All people were quite nice and we had some nice talks.

But today, as i asked someone again, i got a console message: "please don't use out of character chat with or without // in local or system chat". I considered that as a normal message, even if i never read it before. Later, console said "That's it" "Any more non rpg chat....".

First of all, don't get me wrong. I love rpg, and it was the main reason i went here (came from a normal pvp Server). And for me, it is absolutely okay that the admins don't want nonrpg-chat in the system or local chat.

But what about private or group chat? People talking to each other or beeing in the same group normally know each other and of course don't talk like they do to strangers in their rpg-language. First of all, i think it's quite...the wrong that you control the private chat in any ways, as long as nobody complains about a special situation. With my friends, I of course discuss private things which should not be for anyone else, including Administrators. And secondly, what is the problem about it? Nobody on the server gets to know we are talking normally, and of course we do not annoy each other with normal talking. That means we don't harm the rpg at the Server in any way.

With respect for all the admins work, do you really think it's your business what people talk privately to each other? That are personal things, which are - exact - private. I even think it's quite a cheek that you control private chat at all, and don't leave the people their privacy, on the top of that, without any message or warning. (Of course, if someone complains about green chat and the other one does not stop, admins should always check that, to find evidence. But without any reason controlling and overhearing other peoples private conversations (and finally, even tell them to stop changing it) is quite a cheek in my eyes.

And, if you really mean that serious: What other options do we have? Do you sit in silence all day long when you play with your friends? Should we run an external chatting-client together with freelancer? Oh come on...

Please don't take that post to offensive, english is not my native language and some sentences may sound a bit more agressive, as they were meant to be. I just want a normal answer, if that is seriously the normal business going on here, and what we should do instead, if we prefer talking to our friends while playing...

Greetings, and in the hope for a clarifying answer
Harvox
Well actually that was me that sent those messages.

The message was not addressed directly to you but everybody. Indeed I have no idea what you said and none of these messages were addressed to you. Unless private chat is unsolicted or/and offensive to the other party we just don't care what you say. The same applies to group chat.

The fact that these messages came out during your private chat was completely co-incidental.

The message was was addressed to New York and was referring to the out of character Russian in system and local system chat.

If I'd remembered the system admin chat command, I'd have used that rather than the universe admin chat command. I will do so next time.

EDIT: And I was trying to role play with somebody and these OOC guys (in new york) ruined my fun. This makes me mad!
Just a clarification.

Console messages go to everyone on the server.

It's quite likely that an Admin was addressing New York. It's a raging hormonal soup of OCC and Lols. It is also a place where very good RP can be found but the majority has LOLs and other stuff going on.

If you know that you didn't break server rules, then just take this as "Not-addressed to you".

Oh and Welcome to the server! I hope your stay is a good one.

Edit: Ninja'ed! Cannon explained it.
private chat is private.

maybe the console message ( or the custom console message ) was just a coincident and not refering to you ( after all - there are sometimes up to 200 players around )

so :

green chat IS private ( either direct PM via the chatlist, /r reply to a PM received or /t target PM at your selected target on your scanners )

blue chat is local ( scanner range )

light blue chat is system

pink chat is groupchat

i am sure you know about it ( and you pointed it out ) - in private chat, you can usually speak freely - if the addressed person agrees on it ( context usually determines if its RPed or not ) - but the chat itself stays private unless one side decides to post its content ( which should also not really happen, unless the content was a violation of rules - like insults and/or violation of common laws - like hints how to hack / cheat etc )

and i don t think anyone is meant to spy on your private chat either.

groupchat, local, system is best to be RPed. - groupchat is a bit troublesome - often its done in a not-so-much-roleplayed manner. - but we had players get sanctioned for using a tone too casual ( swear words ) in groupchat. mind, there was also an incident that a player got sanctioned for harrassment or swearing in skype ( but this decision was a bit controversial from what i remember )

in your case, i d guess that the console message wasn t pointing at you if you were talking in private chat.
Oh...my bad then.
And i nearly thought, the console meant me. It just was very bad (or very good, how you consider it:P) timing. I added something to the player after some minutes of pause, and 5 seconds later, the console message appeared again. So i really thought I was the one meant with it.

(And I am also quite sure, console message can be sent to single players, if wanted.)

Okay, that really clarifyies things up (and i am very happy, you admins respect the privacy that way, it should be done). I even guess, i should apologize about these quite heavy accusations towards the adminteam then.

Alright, my Question is answered, got nothing to add. Thanks, for that really fast reply.:)

I guess, now i'm going to write a real "First post" to intruduce myself here.:D
Red chat owns. It talks about constant deaths and tragedies.:D
heh, i was talking ooc in group and private then too, gave me the wtf's and felt i was being listened in too as well.

edit: also
' Wrote:Please don't take that post to offensive, english is not my native language
you speak fantastic english compared to a lot of people on the server and this forum. alot better then some who's only language is english:)
yeah, relax, You arent being listened too
Haha, I was on private Chat too when the messages appear and my chat partner asked me immedialty "Hey .. isnt OOC allowed in private chat?!" but i said "I dont think thats meant for us".

But obviously some people got confused:D