Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Cruise to catch up
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been looking through the discussions of the new rules, but see nothing on this point:

The old 5.6 rule stated "Using cruise engines to catch up with those capable of thrusting at higher speed than you is not allowed." I have noticed that there is no mention of this any more, anywhere in the rules. Are caps now allowed to cruise to catch ships with faster thrust speed?

Argyle
i think the rule still stands - at least until we figure out the problem with the energy drain to cruise. - once that works..... there ll certainly be a notice about it.
' Wrote:i think the rule still stands - at least until we figure out the problem with the energy drain to cruise. - once that works..... there ll certainly be a notice about it.

I don't feel right about filing sanctions about a rule that's been removed, especially since I can't find any mention of the rule still being in effect. I guess I'll have to let this slide, and wait for the cruise-mod to go live.

Argyle
' Wrote:I don't feel right about filing sanctions about a rule that's been removed, especially since I can't find any mention of the rule still being in effect. I guess I'll have to let this slide, and wait for the cruise-mod to go live.

Argyle

You can't engage cruise engines to catch up. Maybe one day but not at the moment.

5.6 Fleeing in combat counts as a PVP death. Fleeing is:
a) Engaging cruising engines;

Thus if you engage cruise engines, you've fled and cannot re-engage because you're "dead".

' Wrote:You can't engage cruise engines to catch up. Maybe one day but not at the moment.

5.6 Fleeing in combat counts as a PVP death. Fleeing is:
a) Engaging cruising engines;

Thus if you engage cruise engines, you've fled and cannot re-engage because you're "dead".

Ah, thank you for the clarification mr Cannon.:)That makes it as official as it can get.

Argyle
sorry can I have a clarifier...

what if you are CD-ed after engaging said engines?

Is it Engaging the engines, or sustained cruise?

j
its actually going into cruise mode that counts.
It happens on many occasions that sometimes people have their cruise shortcuts near, so they activate them on accident, but if they cancel it before they cruise off, global good manner etiquette is to leave them in combat.
should we then state something to indicate withdrawal?

Often times when I am attempting to flee I can engage cruise run for some seconds, then I get CD-ed then promptly shot down, often accompanied by a simple "Engaging"
' Wrote:sorry can I have a clarifier...

what if you are CD-ed after engaging said engines?

Is it Engaging the engines, or sustained cruise?

j

Again IMHO, you have to look at the spirit the rule was written in.
The rule is there to prevent A) Slower caps and non CD equipped fighters/bombers using cruise to catch up to faster thrusting vessels (What ? You forgot to load a CD on you ship ?? Tough luck then.) and
B) A target cruising away to resupply/build up shields and then reengaging.

Both A) and B) makes the fight fair for both parties.

If you engaged cruise engines and are running away successfully, you are in effect dead for this battle, have to leave the system within a 10 minute timeframe, and cannot enter the system again for 4 hours (exception for traders).

If your opponent chooses to CD you, and thereby stop you from fleeing, AND then opens fire again, he has chosen to go for the kill, with the chance of losing the fight. (Remember, a CD is not considered an attack).

In the above case you aren't reengaging, since you didn't actively took the initiative to reengage the fight - Your opponent did, by denying you the chance for fleeing. That means you are attacked, so you can defend yourself. If you die, the end effect would be the same: You are barred from entering the system for 4 hours with any of your characters.

If you on the other hand win over your opponent, then HE died due to his choice of denying you the escape with his CD, and your opponent has to leave the system for 4 hours.

If he just CD's you, he probably want to interrogate/capture/get credits or cargo from you, according to the RP of his char (Lawfull, Hunter, Pirate etc). Common etiquette would be to RP with him in this case, and follow his demands. I.E. a LPI against a smuggler - Smuggler tries to run, gets CD'ed, LPI arrests him, take him to a prison station, where the smuggler player logs of in space, then switches character to another character for 4 hours. Thats RP. Not all encounters need to end with a blue kill message;).

IANADL, but thats how I would understand the rule.

An admin input on this could be nice.
I agree, I am merely trying to get a clarification on a little fuzziness in the rules.
Pages: 1 2