Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Computer Generated Music
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been interested in making some music on the computer for a while, I haven't done anything with it before though... Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Or have any suggestions on what to do to get started

I've seen some software for this kind of thing in stores...I would not want to download something, I don't always trust those downloads. So any helpful hints or directions would be apprciated.

I heard this today http://www.furaffinity.net/view/2211948/ and it renewed my intrest in this kind of thing...

Anyways, I don't even know if any of you guys even compose music here. But if anyone does, drop me a line here
There's a lot of programs out there, both free and...not so free, and it can be a bit overwhelming when you're just starting out. But I can point you towards some newbie-friendly stuff:

Hammerhead Rhythm Station: http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/in...tion.shtml
This is a program that creates drumbeats, it's very user-friendly and you can start screwing around with it right out of the box.

TS-404 Synthesizer: http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/ts-404.shtml
You can make the "melodies" and such with this program. A little bit of background knowledge in music theory helps, but you can also just screw around with this one and see what you get. It comes with no manual so here's a tip: to get it to play music, go into Pattern/Edit and check the boxes/slide the sliders to get it to play notes at different times/pitches.

Tuareg 2: http://www.brambos.com/tu2.html
This is what's called a "sequencer" and it's what you use to bring all your music (drumbeats, melody, other noises) together. I suggest getting a hang of using the other programs before you come to this one.

Feel free to throw out any other questions you have if you decide to pursue it further. It's really quite fun.
Alright thanks for all those links

I'm about to leave on a short holiday trip, but once I get back I will take a good look through all of these and see what they're like. If I encounter any problems or have a question, I'll be sure to ask.
Thanks again.
My dad runs a record label for a living. He only sells "Synthpop" genre music. Basically, mostly computer generated but there's still a lot of user input.

He's in... I think three bands now, one being by himself. He owns a couple synthesizers.. a mixer panel thing.. and a bunch of other stuff. He has the complete home-setup. He even teacher pop music to kids as alternatives to say, boring ole piano lessons.

I've picked up a bit from watching and listening to everything he does. So, if this sounds the like the thing you're interested in, feel free to ask questions and I might be able to answer them. If I can't I could ask my dad.

I can tell you one thing though, if all you do is lay out mp3 tracks..it'll probably sound ... "not so good." For beginners it's great practice, but I'm telling you now, don't just lay out a bass track and call it good. Change the pitch around a lot, don't make things monotone.

That link you posted at the top, that's awesome stuff. My dad does stuff similar but not quite the same. The keyboard they play is most likely them playing a synthesizer. (Any melody, they are probably playing themselves.) The drums and stuff, that's all computer, but they lay tons of tracks to get it that way. It takes a lot of editing, but if done right, it's epic!

So yeah, ask any questions and I'll let you know what I know.

Awesome stuff.:)

EDIT: I forgot. This is what my dad uses
http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/acidpro
But that's a bit pricey for a beginner and it has tons of features that take a while to learn. Buying mp3 samples might be pricey, but I'm sure there's mp3 loop stock sites out there... just don't steal anything or I keel you.
Fruity Loops

easy for beginners......even more amazing once you progress

oh........and a hell of a lot of fun too!

here's my page. everything i did, i did with Fruity Loops!!
http://www.myspace.com/mikesstupidplaytime

hahaha, like i said, its just fun times. check it out....
LULZ at himself

EDIT: oh yeah......torrents are amazing.....:)
What? Wait... noone mentioned Reason from Propellerhead?

Version 4.1 is the newest update.
Though, its not free, but a great program.
You will need some experience with DJ equipment and techniques to work with Reason properly.
Or you work yourself throught the hundreds-of-sites manual.

Here is the link to Propellerhead Software (PS HP)

Iam sure, with some digging in the depts of the internet, you will also find a 'free' version.

Here is a YouTube link to what you can do with that program.
And here another link, also this.
' Wrote:What? Wait... noone mentioned Reason from Propellerhead?

Version 4.1 is the newest update.
Though, its not free, but a great program.
You will need some experience with DJ equipment and techniques to work with Reason properly.
Or you work yourself throught the hundreds-of-sites manual.

Here is the link to Propellerhead Software (PS HP)

Iam sure, with some digging in the depts of the internet, you will also find a 'free' version.

Here is a YouTube link to what you can do with that program.
And here another link, also this.

Thank you! Agreed. I am a huge Propellerhead Reason user.
There are several tutorials on youtube, including making almost exact replica's of current top tracks.

My advice is if you're doing it just a small project, go for a free maker, or something like the Ejay series.
If you want this to be a long term hobby, get a professional music maker (FL, Reason...ect) and buy one of the many books available, or watch tutorials on youtube. Switching from one to the other, after getting used to the first is a nightmare.
You want to "compose" music over computer as MIDI and want to replace the sounds with sound fonts?

OR

You want to add pre-recorded loops one after another to create combinations?

Those two require different setups.

Also:

Which genre of music are you interested in making?
Techno, classical, Piano, flute, disco, House, pop, alternative, atmospheric, tracking and looping, beatbox, Rhythm, sampling ?

And what OS are you using?

Each different style can use different tools.
Audacity is a good (Free!) sampler.
Modplug Tracker is what I use for sequencers/tracking/looping.

There are others out there. Answering these questions will help us be more specific in our suggestions.