Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Righto.. so now the Rp/PvP dilemmas begin.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have now tentatively ventured into the world of PvP where you are summoned by all manner of lawfuls to aid them in battle.

So gung ho, you run to their aid and shoot everything red and nasty on your scanners.

This is where the scary green messages begin, telling you that you have been reported for non-notice engagement.

So you stop to think about it and get blown up while sitting there, trying to figure if your actions are evil.

I kinda feel that joining in a battle when invited by one of the parties is part of the RP and you are running to your allies' aid.

However I also agree with the non-notice thing although there isnt much time to type and dodge when you jump straight into a light show.

How would the rules apply here?

I am certaily guilty of non-notice on this incident. Reckoned I was following orders at the time.

Also, how does the enemy respond to you in the middle of the fight? Does this mean that you simply say 'engaging' or something and don't wait for their response?

Just some thoughts. I'll take punishment if its due but it is a little confusing no?
We-ell, you always write an engagement notice. Even if it's just "[friendly player's name] we got your call, moving in for the assist! Power the guns!" The other player doesn't need to react to it, or possibly can't react to it, because they're fighting. It does let them know when people join the fight though (from experience, I know I don't like it when people jump on me without warning; I like to know when I'm outnumbered to I can leg it).

Going in mute, all guns blazing isn't the way to do it.
some time ago....

a battle happened between the liberty navy and the rogues ( or something like that ) - they battled at the end of a lane.

two bounty hunters jumped into the battle area without really knowing what came to them - being spilled out right into the brawl.

they were engaged by the unlawfuls.

the admins then agreed that "being present at the scene of a battle is enough notice to be shot at without lengthy roleplay stating the intention" - meaning. when a battle rages - and someone gets close to it... nither the players battling already need to state their intention - and if fairness rules... nor must those that arrived. - at least not lengthy... they should announce to be around and about to engage ( while there - the term "i am engaging the target <name>" should suffice )

mind you - these were diffrent times. - it was 4.84 - the two bounty hunters that complained about being instantly attacked while unaware of the situation were DW ( which had a bad reputation at that time for whatever reasons ) -

to my understanding - roleplay must be the basis of all attacks. - when a char really is roleplayed ... getting into a fight for his life is about the last option he ll take ... or he feels to be in a vast advantage or very desperate.

a player should not be forced to say something utterly silly like "i am not firing my weapons on you nasty dogbreath pirate - so be aware ... in 10 seconds i will open fire, if you don t mind - please reply positivly so i can start firing in 10 seconds"

a player should unmistakenly be aware that he is being fired upon. - when roleplay is taken seriouly - that awareness wouldn t even require a single word in many situations.
all you have to do is take the time to write a little notice like e.g Officer Goodman looks like you need a hand, powering up weapons.......

fire at will...

Surely you could say that or even something shorter even though yer under fire
Yeah, I agree with everyone.

I think my noobness panic setting overrided my 'Rp first' setting.

In this case I started typing and then noted it was in group chat, got hit by a few (maybe stray) shots and panicked.

Well, if theres a sanction coming, I accept it.

Gah.. I hope I get used to PvP soon, it's nerve wrecking! hahaha.
I was there for the fight in question, and we did call for your help

If you start getting shot at by the hostiles, you can immediatly return fire, however if you open fire first, its the same as if the battle hadn't started yet, you need to RP first, as stated above, a simple message informing everyone that you are on scene and are ready to assist friendlys
If the fight already looks pretty even, I'll ask the others on my side if they need help, first. Otherwise I'll give some sort of notice then move in a few seconds later, which is plenty of time for the other side to react.
It's pretty logical that if you wonder into a warzone and get shot at for no reason (not stray shots), there are 2 options: shoot back, get the hell out of there. When you shoot back though you'd only shoot at the person who originally fired at you, I know this can be difficult but when you're getting continueally pounded you'd better start firing at everyone.

Think about RP, what would an innocent person feel if they get attacked for no reason? They'll be confused, they'l panic, it's reasonable that he/she will go out guns blazing on everyone else.

A solution to these situations will be, when you're passing by a battle, clearly state in system comms that "I'm passing by, I have no interest in this conflict, watch your fire." and you get as far away as possible.

I think I went off topic a little here, but I hope this helped.
' Wrote:a simple message informing everyone that you are on scene and are ready to assist friendlys

Does "hello Aoyagi" fit in this? :)

When I come with intend to join I always make sure they know.
Yea i PM'd you with scary green latters:P, i didnt say you been reported.. i PM'd "You should Notify of your engagement.." Because there were plenty of NPC's and incoming missile didnt worry me and all of a sudden i feel damage on my hull on every missile imp[act.. i noticed you joined shooting missiles.

I am not filing a report as we solved this in game.. and when the fight is fair.. being a Bomber and a transport vs a bomber and a transport i dont see the reason to call for backup of a GB.. yes get another fighter/bomber to aid.. but a GB is a bit too much.

Last night i was with a huge pirate force.. and the point of it was to educate the 3 "ganking" GB's with the minimal "set msg" RP the lesson (taste of their own medicine).. Yes its liberty.. but it can be better.. we just need all to pitch in and try to keep it fair.

Its not easy.. but if we all give a hand it might work.. i mean if you are 3 and the enemy is 3 and you have 3 GB's joining you tell them to stand down.. and if they dont you get them for disobeying orders.. We do it in rheinland.. we do not have that huge disobedience problem but still...
Pages: 1 2