Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: I Need Input on a Zoner Transport
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, I have a Zoner Guard character who runs trade routes with Zoner and IMG bases.

I'd like to invest in a new transport in the near future, once I get the funds accrued.

I currently have a BWT, but I would like a tad more cargo room. And more offensive capabilities.

None of the 5k transports appeal to me.

I'm looking for a vessel to RP with, while being legit enough to avoid seeing my name on a sanction report.

Options:

Shire - Pluses: firepower and generous cargo hold. Minuses: gigantical size (asteroid fields), strong Bretonian affiliation (I occasionally have to fly through Kusari). Sold at Scarsburough (Bretonia / Bowex)

Container Transport - Pluses: firepower and generous cargo hold. Minuses: model is unfreelancerish, Kusarian affiliation (I often have to fly through Bretonian territory). Sold at Junyo (Kusari)

Slave Liner (Pilgrim) - Pluses: firepower and decent cargo hold. Nice design. Minuses: associated with Slavers. Sold at Inverness (Junkers)

Luxury Liner - Pluses: firepower and generous cargo hold. Nice freelancerish model. Minuses: I don't haul humans (refugees, scientists) exclusively. Sold at Baltimore Shipyard (Liberty / DSE).

Right now I'm leaning towards the Slave Liner. I have no desire to haul slaves or cardamine with it, but some fellow Zoners / local law enforcement officials might think that I'm up to evil shenanigans just because of the vessel's present reputation.

The Lux Liner would be my next choice. However, I would consider not hauling VIPs with it, due to the nature of my main trade route, which includes hauling refugees. The idea would be to give refugees the opportunity to psychologically and physically recuperate by letting them fly in comfort to their next port of call.

I would like to see some civil, constructive input on this subject, particularly from the Admins.

Have at it!
The Slave Liner looks great, I know, but it also comes with the tag "I support the Slave Cause".

I honestly think you'll be bring yourself a lot of trouble by buying one of those... Specially with the TAZ, mind you. On another note the Lux Liner does sounds good but for someone who hauls between Zoner and IMG bases it might seem a little odd, so the Akegata model would suit you better.

But remember, anything with a good RP reason will do nicelly.
*gets ready to lash out at everyones throat*

AARGH! I hate that the Pilgrim is labeled a "Slave" Liner. Heck , I'd even want the Slave bit to be removed entirely. Pilgrims are old passenger transports that were put together and fixed by the Junkers. Just because Slavers like them doesn't mean that they are used by them exclusively...

So, yeah, you SHOULD be able to roleplay a Pilgrim as something other than a slaver ship. Unfortunately, a lot of people immediately think "You fly Pilgrim, you are Slaver, you die! *pew pew*"...
What about the Heavy Tanker?
The Pilgrim seems perfect for a zoner since it is a deep space exploration vessel.
Liners have been removed from the Zoner Guard ID, so LuxLiner and Pilgrim are out anyway.
I've heard the Liner is a pig in an asteroid field, and if my experience as a Pilgrim commander is anything to go by, you'll have problems docking at various stations and more importantly, jump gates. Did I forget trade lanes?
Hit them straight on or your stuffed with them as well.
The Pilgrim, is massive. Truly massive.

[Image: screen222.jpg]

Thats a BWT there next to it.
The Shire is a tank that handles much better in roid fields and is a lot smaller than the Pilgrim. One drawback is since 4.85, it appears to have developed a nasty habit of jigging up and down when in cruise on course for it's waypoint.
This might make targeting difficult while the autopilot is on.

I had a CT once. Nice ship on a certain route through Sigma 13 back in the day. That firepower came in handy many times. It is big though. Bad in roids.

Best ship for manouverability is Shire. The only thing against it is the RP side but thats your call.

Indeed the Liners are off the list now. The new Guard ID no longer has liners listed.

The Heavy Tanker seems a fair choice, but it would be nice to know the firing arcs of its six turrets. Firepower-wise it seems a bit lacking.

The CT is out, due to "aesthetic" issues. It just doesn't look like it fits in Freelancer.

The Shire is nice, but a bit of stretch for me, when I think about.

Thanks for the input!