Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Roleplaying your horrible, utter decimation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
SOrry if you guys are sick of this question or something.

So I was running my first lot of Gate/Lane Parts to the '31 Construction site. I decided to be sneaky and use the jump hole because.... Frankly only because I good. As I entered the Tau-23 System, I was confronted by I nice old IMG guy, who was looking for someone. I naturally made it a bit hard to find this guy I had on my scanners, until I realised he was an Outcast.

Followed by that realisation, I immediately informed the IMG lad of his position. Perhaps via system chat was a rookies mistake.

Needless to say the Oucast proceeded to gun me down before I could reach dock.

But I digress from my original point of this post, what can I say, I like a good story.;)

So you've been destroyed. You're transported halfway accross the galaxy to the last place you docked.

How do you roleplay that?
'Oh yeah My ship was destroyed but I managed to fly my escape pod back to Manhattan, and then my insurance company covered the millions of credits so I could have a new one' somehow doesn't seem... well it sounds stupid.

So how do I explain it?

Well, after this happens you shouldn't go back to the system you were destroyed in, for at least four hours.

If you run into the one who destroyed you, some place else at another time, you could roleplay it out as: "My escape pod was picked up, it may of taken a few days but I managed to get my hand on another ship"

Or something like that.
' Wrote:Well, after this happens you shouldn't go back to the system you were destroyed in, for at least four hours.
It's actually two hours now, according to Dusty's announcement a few days ago.

[joke]You imagined your ship was destroyed, and you woke up where you were last docked and none of it had happened. For some reason you decide not to enter the system your ship was "destroyed" in for another two hours, just incase your dream was some sort of vision of the future.[/joke]

I don't think there really is a sound proof way to role-play it. It's just one of the parts of the game that can't be role-played.

' Wrote:It's actually two hours now, according to Dusty's announcement a few days ago.
It's back to four.
I guess you're right Not Amused.

It just bugs me is all.

But, I love how EVE explains it.

'You're dead, fine, but WAIT! All of your memories were transferred to a clone! YAY!'
As a new player I was wondering about it too. As you well said, the never-failing escape pod and especially the amazingly generous insurance company sounds a bit silly (actually a generous insurance company sounds far more sci-fi than any space ship jumping between wormholes:lol:), but being it what seems to be the most commonly used RP expedient, even if you were to come by with a more believable idea, the fact it would seem to kinda apply only for you will likely make itself look silly.

Even though - as I understand and correct me if I'm wrong - there are no specific official rules of conduct on how to manage and justify the loss of a ship, your hands are still quite tied to the common customs used by most. Unless, I would say, you're a roleplaying messiah, and have the guts of throwing away the ship and its loadout restarting only with the cash you had into your char account. But with the extreme frequency of... unpleasant adventures in space, and the frightening prices of bigger ships, that too would be... well... silly:P

Seriously though, I'm especially curious about how it's managed when it happens to capital ships. I see even the very use of 'em is (obviously) severely regulated inside player factions, since a cap ship has a huge RP weight. And in the case of a battleship, really, the insurance thing is just out of the question (not to mention the "crew" unless they are as resilient to death as Mr. Spock & Co. were...:rolleyes:). How is it usually played, if it is at all?
It's okay, the navy just requistioned a new battleship. XD

And as for replacement excuses, I've just used the 'Wasn't destroyed, managed to escape and limp back to Friendly space' one.

But hell, I'm paying my faction (DSE) for the repairs, about half the cost of the ship.

But hell, sometimes I take RP to seriously XD
Perhaps you could say that you were operating the ship via remote control, and that you were safely at home at the time....?
i did a whole story on the idea of being shot down on Toledo.

I think the best way to think about it is that your ship is put out of action, not destroyed.

crippled it goes back to the last place it left on remote control:Pwhile you take a nice little nap.

It endears you when you think of your ship as going through what you go through. she gets shot up, takes you home struggling all the way on the last tank of oxygen, trailing bits.

and the Pirate lets you live...

why? here's a great way to explain it.

Because every now and again, with all the people he butchers, no matter how terrible he is, he lets one go. Just to make him feel better inside, or to show his might and mercy... or just to be a jerk and watch you suffer to pilot a broken ship back across the galaxy.

There are any number of ways to RP this.
The RP answer is to dock "for supplies" as you go along your route. That way when you respawn, you don't do it on the wrong side of the galaxy.
Pages: 1 2