Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Jump-Drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22441

This post was posted a while back detailing the possibility of a jump-drive in freelancer by Linkus. I'm revisiting the idea here on the boards because of the innovative thinking that's been going on with the "power down feature" and other thoughts and ideas floating around.

I believe that the best possible feature for this, in my personal opinion, is to drain shields, power core, and lock weapons from being used at all just before the jump. The only ships that should be able to use a jump-drive are ships Cruiser and up. Reason being for the usage in the larger ships only is because the size of a jump-drive is massive and uses a LOT of power to spin its systems up.

I created my own personal Jump-drive before a lot of mods looked into it when I was developing my own mod back in the day (During the Excelcia era of RP Servers). I had managed to create a jump-drive of sorts that functioned off "crystals". Depending on the number of crystals in the ship at the time, the ship would jump further. But, the further the ship jumped, the higher possibility of the ship taking extreme damage on the other side, jumping into a sun or planet, or just plain exploding for no reason because of the stresses of subspace on the ship. The idea was to make it a last resort option to escape an attack by someone by jumping several systems over, or to just jump a system over to protect their assets. The highest system length that I set it to was five systems away only, how it was measured was by the system grid on the universal Sirius map. For example. If you wanted to Jump to Bretonia from California, you would have to go to Manchester or one of the outlying systems. Because the space in-between, where the was no system, still counted as one.

After lots of testing by my part, crashing, and all sorts of things, I managed to get it working in a, pardon my expression, half-assed way. When jumping more than four systems away, the ship almost always jumped into a sun, exploded, or lost all it's weapons and took almost all of it's hull strength away. Basically the option was there if you wanted to jump, but the risks outweighed the possibility of you being able to survive the jump. But avail, this was ages ago and the mod I had is now lost due to HDD failure a couple of years ago. It would take me forever to replicate the code and redo it all as I had before...that and I'm rusty with code.:P

Thoughts?

~Leo
That system sounds good actually. Not being able to predict where you jump to in the system of your choice would be a good way of keeping people away from constantly spamming it. Along with damage if you try and jump too far.

One point though. I believe there should be a charge time, I say several hours before you can jump again - even if you have every condition you need for jumping. I believe it is more realistic and stops people from constantly spamming it to travel around. Imagine, jumping one system at a time from Alpha all the way to New York. There would be little risk according to your system, so one jump every few hours (I say 6 hours) would be good.

Also, if they have low charge times then Macdeath's Jump Drive is actually worse than the human ones.... :nono:
interesting idea... I RP a jumpdrive on my carrier, but I'm stuck to using jump holes for it. Would be nice if I had the real thing.
This could be done I think...
We already have the ability for admins to use /move to move themselves around a system... We could have a more limited version of that!
Aye, Jumpdrives are easily possible nowadays, the code exists and is in use in a few mods.
The issue could be balance however.

Leo's system would work quite well but a poke about from Cannon might be handy here.
Holy pies... that sound pretty cool, well the crystals part doesnt sound very freelancerish but the name can be changed to something else. Are you on the dev team? if not you should. Sounds like a "anti-smarty-pants-abuse" idea to jump systems
I'll dig around on my other drives I have laying about. Maybe some of the code I used back then still exists on one of them. If some of it is left, even an unfinished version, it's possible we can use that as a base to go off of. No promises though.

Yeah, hopefully Cannon can add some of his infinite wisdom here for us to look off of. I know diddly about FLHook so I can't say if it'll work with what I suggested.

~Leo

EDIT: No, I'm not on the Dev team. It's been years since I've modded Freelancer and my coding experience is more than rusty.
This would be disturbingly awesome is used in tandem with a mod to let small ships like fighters/bombers/gunships dock with carriers and dreadnoughts. Imagine an Outcast fleet spins up the FTL to Gamma. XD That would be ridiculously awesome and it would make freelancer 10x more interesting.

I love this idea!
' Wrote:This would be disturbingly awesome is used in tandem with a mod to let small ships like fighters/bombers/gunships dock with carriers and dreadnoughts. Imagine an Outcast fleet spins up the FTL to Gamma. XD That would be ridiculously awesome and it would make freelancer 10x more interesting.

I love this idea!

It would. Even more awesome to have the 'sairs sitting outside their home when the Outcast carrier jumps into the sun.

*Screams coming from the Red Giant*
Corsair1: Did you see that?
Corsair2: Stupid Outcasts...

Besides, jumping to Gamma would be more than five jumps and the ship would only be able to reach say, Sigma-19...if it even reached the system without losing all it's guns, thrusters, shields, or if it even survived the jump at all.

~Leo
Me like, ehm...

I wish i am not so busy with school i had in plans to learn stuff, web design ( codes and stuff ) , c++ or what ever but now well school is taking much time, i could go study for school or study something else i choose school, maybe over holidays i try and learn something so i could do something helpful around.

Jump drive power cell - Name for things you use up while jumping. We could get faction that transports primarily those and some trade routes:)I am happy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5