Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Ship Showcase (56k Safe)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Those of you who played Colony Wars Vengeance should remember this.

[Images removed to save load times, available on request]

Modelled this today, very very basic. 880 polies.

The ship was never named in Colony Wars, it was always described as either a Battleship or a Frigate. I'm calling it the Adramelech class. It's supposed to be a capital ship, although I think it would make a good gunboat/cruiser.

Any useful comments, suggestions, questions, queries and constructive criticism is welcome.

NB: I've since removed the stupid spikes fom the front of the hull, I asn't sure about them, but it actually looks much better without them.
Nice model! It looks very Liberty-ish with that nose; we could try replacing that battlecruiser they're always throwing around.
Nice... a bit more dents in the wings and proper mapping applied to it and we could soon have one hell of a nice gunboat for sale.

Have you though of which faction yet ??
I like it! Even if you say it was from a different game, it does like very freelancer-ish! A commendable job!

Keep up the good work.

Verginix Out
yeah i would look for as a liberty Battlecruiser
O.o I like....

Somehow, that just seems like a starlancer ship to me, don't ask me why...
Looks like it could pull off a good battlecruiser/carrier/freighter combo, if carriers could be created in this game. (God having 12 Zoner Eagles fly out of the Ableben on demand would be wonderful..)
No, I've not thought about what faction it was for yet. I'm going to model the rest of the Naval Fleet from Colony Wars including the Fighters, Frieghters and as many of the capital ships I can find in-game. Then I'm going to move onto the League of Free Worlds ships, the enemy from Colony Wars.

Really, I'm doing this as an excersice to get me used to modelling in 3D MAX, I'm used to doing all my modelling in Milkshape, but it's only good if you have your design set in stone and all sorts of orthographic drawings and such made and set-up and that a whole load of hassle. In 3D MAX, I can edit polygons with much greater ease.

I just looked up the acceptable poly counts for Capital Ships in FL, Light Capital Ships 1500 to 6000, so I've got LOADS of leeway.

I'm going to do some touching up work on the ship, I just need to work out how to use Max properly, then life'll be dandy.

I checked the term "Frigate" to see where abouts it comes in in Freelancer terms, I reckon it's a Heavy Gunboat, edging towards Crusier. I'll need to have a further look at the Capital Classes in Colony Wars, see what other ships are more suited to role. I'll keep you lot updated with progress and such like, if I make any.;)
Update

Just some updates for you all. same ship still, just some adjustments and extra details added. I'm going to move onto UV mapping it now I think, the boring difficult UVW mapping.

Unlit render
[Image: 3drender3.jpg]

Lit render; very bright light yellow light with Liberty Turrets for a size comparison
[Image: 3drender5.jpg]

Sorry about the quality of the renders, I was mucking around with the setting without knowing what I was doing, so they're very blurry, I know.

Again, comments and such would be most welcome.