Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Vigilante
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings community,

As the Topic Title intends I need some help on being a Vigilante.
I'm sure you've noticed there aren't that many around, which I find fun in some way, but has a huge downside to. Theres not many people out there which you can observe and learn from.
But I do want to make this work and I do want to RP a Vigilante at it's best, so I'm going to need some help if I want to make that possible.

To know how-to-play a Vigilante you must have a picture of the character I'm playing. Now to safe you the horror of reading my characters bio (which is slightly long) I'll shorten it enough so you still have that picture.

His name is Jeffrey Adams, born and raised on Planet Los Angeles. Has been trained by a young Freelancer Naomi Jones which turned out later to be his girlfriend. Jeffrey had some small contracts here and there for different company's. But due to certain events (Naomi being captured by Slavers) he met a Vigilante 'Jack' that taught Jeffrey some of the tricks, leaving Jeffrey being a Vigilante himself going after Naomi and taking down Slave trade. After many years of searching he has to give up as he's mentally broken and tries to make his way back in life by applying for a security job in Universal Shipping.

Thats where I really started playing my character. Now more in-game events have happened and Jeffrey has to go back to that old life where he was Vigilante, to once again go after and hopefully find important people that has gone missing. Sabotage any Slave trade, and kill all Lane Hackers (as they killed Jeffrey's little sister in his childhood, read bio if you want to know the whole story)
Now all other pirates that either stand is his way, are doing bad things have a high chance of facing Jeffrey's wrath to.

Leaving us to the how-to.

First things first, the IFF. It said it must be a lawful IFF and weaponry must fit to that IFF. I've read some topics (as I do use the search option) about Freelancer IFF being to 'pvpwhore'ish'. Now for what I know Jeffrey has been a Freelancer for a long time and is now going Vigilante. IMO the Freelancer IFF fits his role play the most, and to add I'm not that pvpwhore as I prefer to role play, pirates have to cross some sort of line first to get me mad, otherwise it would turn out to become a pvp party.

Now any experience, tips & hints about the Vigilante, about how to role play it best is more then welcome. With it I'm able to learn more on how to role play my Vigilante, and play at it as it's supposed to be played.

Thanks in advance!
Which house are you going to be a Vigilante in? Fly there, get the local police IFF and a Vigilante ID from your nearest Freeport. If you want to fight against Lane Hackers, get a LPI IFF and head over to FP2 for your ID.

The thing that I see wrong with 'Freelance' Vigilantes is, Vigilantes are citizens taking the law into their own hands. And Freelancers aren't really citizens... Freelancers are people who demand payment for their services, Vigilante's kill stuff because they think it's right, and/or think the police can't handle it/doing a bad job at handling it or whatever.
' Wrote:Which house are you going to be a Vigilante in?

Wherever business takes me.

' Wrote:Fly there, get the local police IFF and a Vigilante ID from your nearest Freeport. If you want to fight against Lane Hackers, get a LPI IFF and head over to FP2 for your ID.

Lane Hackers are my characters biggest enemy, just as much as Slavers are. But all other 'scum' concerns my character to. I've had a small word with a Admin (sorry forgot the name) and he told me that IFF should fit your characters background. My character has never worked for the Police.

' Wrote:Freelancers are people who demand payment for their services, Vigilante's kill stuff because they think it's right, and/or think the police can't handle it/doing a bad job at handling it or whatever.

Last time I checked Freelancers aren't (always) people who want payment for their services, thats a Mercenary. Freelancers work for themselves, either by being a hired gun, trade, find glory or they are explorers. Vigilante's take things in their own hands and fight for justice even if that makes them go against the law.

Reason I made this topic is as the Admin was not known on this ground, and advised me to talk to Dusty Lens as the Vigilante is his thing, send him a PM to but has not replied. Thats why I'd like to hear some community members voices.
vigilante isn't "wherever business takes me" because that's not the definition of vigilante. Vigilantes are people who take laws in their own hands because lawfuls aren't doing thing about it.

wherever business takes me sinks your topic.
What I meant by that is that I can't know where the 'scum' is hiding. Slavers can be around all over, but hackers are known to be in Liberty. So wherever the baddies are I'll be. Now I'll admit that most of my enemy's will be around Liberty, but I like to get some free room as well, I don't want to be chained to Liberty.
Have you considered a Universal Shipping IFF? It has an extensive zone of influence and seems to fit with your character's back-story.
Well, you can always try a Hunter IFF and hunter guns. Just make sure, that if you intend to kill something,. stay far away with flashpoints. they are more for show than anything.
' Wrote:Have you considered a Universal Shipping IFF? It has an extensive zone of influence and seems to fit with your character's back-story.

I have, but I don't know how to act with as assuming that 90% will think I'm a normal Universal guy.
But yes I do think having the Universal IFF is the best option, so thank for that.

EDIT: Just got a PM from Dusty with my remaining concerns. Matter is hereby closed if you'd ask me.